Waxed and Ready to Go! – Geek Turned Athlete

Waxed and Ready to Go!

Well, I think that I have my mojo back!  Last week, I brought up the fact that I was having the post wedding blahs, not blues.  The past few days, I have started feeling like myself again.  I’m hitting most of my workouts, and I’m feeling great!

DSC03902 My house is no longer in shambles, and my life is a lot more organized than how it was when we got back from our wedding.

No running for me today.  The weather was so crappy with 20 mile/hour winds and rain all day long.  It sucked.

DSC03876

I did however, get waxed to get ready for our cruise!  Now, waxing in Europe is a lot different  than waxing in the states.  In the states usually, the esthetician will give you some little underwear and a wipee, and tell you to wipe yourself down and put on your “underwear.”  She leaves the room, giving you some time to undress and follow her instructions.  She then, moves the underwear around as she waxes.  A lot of estheticians use the “underwear” to aid in pulling the skin to get a better wax.  Usually, she has you get into modest positions to get all the hair for a bikini or Brazilian.  A lot of places don’t even do the Hollywood (everything).

In Europe, they do the Hollywood, and they don’t have a problem with it.  This is how my wax happened the first time I was in Germany:  The esthetician comes in and says, “Okay, now take your pants off and get on the table.”  No wipee.  No little underwear.  Where’s my little underwear?  Blank look.  I was then told to get into the doggie style position and put my leg up among other NOT so modest positions.  In addition to these moves, when I rolled over so they could get “everything” below, I was asked to grab each butt cheek and spread them.  Although I felt somewhat violated after my first visit to the salon in Germany, I noticed that it was the most thorough wax that I had ever gotten.  I have been going to the same salon almost two years later, and I couldn’t be happier.  Of course, it is a little different every single time I go, but the openness about being naked is always there.  Europeans aren’t afraid to be naked, and they don’t understand why Americans are so “shy.”  The funny thing is that Germans don’t get their cooches waxed.  The salon waxes mostly Americans.  Funny, huh?

When I went back to the states last spring, I made an appointment to get waxed.  I think that I scared the esthetician a little when I started taking my pants off before she could hand me my pair of disposable undies!  Oops!  I forgot you guys don’t do that here!   haha.  I think that I might unintentionally freak out a few estheticians when we move back to the states if I’m not careful!

I don’t get waxed for Steve.  Although, I’m sure he enjoys it!  I get waxed so I’m not sticking out of my swimsuit while training and in this instance, while on vacation!  It hurt so bad the very first time that I went in, but I’ve gotten used to it.  This doesn’t mean that it isn’t painful, but it is more tolerable for sure.  It is definitely worth not worrying about my bikini area when I swim regularly at the pool.

I know that this is a sensitive topic (literally and figuratively), but I just want to share with you some differences in Europe from the states! :)

What’s your favorite hair removal method?  I HATE shaving because my skin is so sensitive!  I’ve tried Nair, and it was BAD!!!

• holly November 24, 2009, 10:01 pm

hahahaha gosh, this is why i love europe. thank you for sharing – i found this entertaining and just one of those funny cultural things we all do differently. glad you are feeling like yourself again – lots of love to you!!!!

• Dawn (HealthySDLiving) November 25, 2009, 12:06 am

So glad you’re feeling better this week! :)
    HAHA omg that sounds scary…never been waxed before!!! lol

• Katie November 25, 2009, 1:20 am

My skin is really sensitive too, but I shave anyway. Holy cow, I used Nair once too. It was pretty bad. I had the worst rash/burn ever, and I didn’t leave on as long as the directions indicated one should leave it on for either! I’ve never been waxed. Just too shy. I hope you have tons of fun on your cruise!

• Ryan November 25, 2009, 2:47 am

Wow! Talk about a day to stumble onto a new blogger. I can now imagine what somebody felt if they read my blog about 2 years ago with me talking about sharting myself for 15 miles during Ironman…except your post has the potential for some erotic thoughts. If anyone has erotic thoughts of me sharting…well, that is just wrong, and nasty. Nasty and wrong.

I too am a military “wife” Mine is a Navy Nurse. We lived in Naples Italy for almost 4 years and loved living in Europe, you will be sad for 6 months when you get back.

Just so you know I found you through Marit :-)

Ryan

• marit c-l November 25, 2009, 2:56 am

Okay – now you totally had me in stitches! :) hee hee hee. Waxing is fine – but there was a place in Eastern NC (way back when we lived on that coast) – that used the ‘sugar’ method. The esthetician swore that it would be painless…. and it actually was. I’m not really sure how it worked – but it was a sugar based, non wax, pretty painless hair removal system. She mentioned that the ancient Egyptians had used this method as well – although she could have been pulling the wool over my eyes as well. Haven’t found a place out here yet that does it – but I’ve looked. Wow…doggie style waxing…? Huh… that’s a first.

• Catherine November 25, 2009, 1:26 pm

That’s pretty funny, and it’s definitely happened to me here in Maryland!

• Graze With Me November 25, 2009, 4:28 pm

Oh my, I am the typical shy American for sure. I didn’t have my first “woman” check-up until I was 24. If someone told me to spread ‘em and get on my hands and knees I’d probably have a heart attack. That or I’d have to have a few drinks down me first…

I prefer to shave, my skin isn’t too sensitive and I’m not a very hairy person so it’s worked well so far.