Big Burly Men – Geek Turned Athlete

Big Burly Men

image

After having to teach 2 spin classes yesterday (one came out of nowhere, and I’m way too nice), and dealing with my truck registration problems for 4 hours (you don’t want to know, but just know that they are much more intense in Europe!), I was mentally exhausted and decided to move my workout schedule around.  When I got home last night, I didn’t do anything relating to school!  I opted for twittering and eating half a pizza, then reading for 30 minutes until I passed out around 8:30pm.  As I said, exhausted!  For today’s workout, I had my 7 mile speed run before teaching another spin class.  For the swim that I was supposed to do today, I moved it to tomorrow.  The thought of working out for 3 + hours today made me want to hurl this morning when I looked at my schedule.  Can you say “a tad burned out”?

Today actually ended up being a much better day than yesterday, and any frustrations that I had leftover, I definitely got out on the tready!  Because the roads have been crap lately (see Tuesday’s post), the treadmill seemed to be the best option.  Here was my plan:

Dist: 7 mi, inc Warm 3x1600m (~1 mile) in 7:38 w/800m (~.5 mile) jogs; Cool

In the middle of my first set of 7:38, a quite large muscular guy got on the treadmill next to me.  He didn’t even try to hide the fact that he was looking over at my stats (speed, incline, etc.) on the treadmill.  I was just trying to not trip and fly off the treadmill myself at this point.  He then started increasing his speed up to my speed.  I thought, “What a coincidence?!  He is pretty fast if he is just running like this, and this is his warm up.”  After 3 minutes at this speed, the guy he was looking over at me (I was trying to ignore him at this point b/c I needed to concentrate on breathing), and with a questioning look on his face like WTF?  He brought his speed down to walking and was breathing pretty hard.

I slowed down to a 10 min mile between intervals for 5 minutes, then started up again.  Then, he started up again.  He only lasted another 3 minutes and was clearly upset and dumbfounded.  He kept looking over at me.  Keep in mind, that I was sweating buckets by now.  The sweat was dripping off my elbows and chin.  I don’t think that I made it look easy, but I wasn’t  breathing as loud as he was.  He actually was a little frightening.  He was walking during my second “break” of a 10 min/mile pace and shaking his head.  On my third interval, he increased to my speed again at the same time I did, but he only lasted about a minute this time, and promptly jumped off the treadmill defeated.  I’m not going to lie, I did laugh a little under my breath. hehe

I wasn’t trying to compete against anyone!  I just wanted to do my workout before I had to teach my spin class.  I have nothing against lifting weights.  In fact, I wish that I had the patience to do it more often, but they don’t call me the cardio queen for nothing!  I just think it is funny that men in particular (there have been some girls who have done this too), try to compete with me at the gym.  Some can hang, some can’t.  We are all at different fitness levels.  I just think that it is sad that I’m outrunning most of the men at a military gym.  Sad, considering how slow I am!

Now again, don’t get me wrong, I was holding on for dear life on those what seemed like forever intervals.  I h.a.t.e. speedwork, B.U.T. I know that it is good for me.  If I want to run a sub 3:50 for my first marathon, these are crucial.  I really didn’t think that I was going to make it through the first interval, but I did, and then I did 2 more.  It’s funny how much I hate speed workouts before and during, but then I feel so accomplished when I get done.  It is much more gratifying than my recovery runs (especially when I can put a big burly man in his place, haha).  😉 And then, I taught another spin class.

Tomorrow, I’ve got some abs yoga and swimming!  I’m actually kinda excited!

Do you all run into these shenanigans at the gym?  Speedwork anyone?

• Heather (Where's the Beach) January 28, 2010, 8:21 pm

Oh yes, I have had this happen before. Kind of funny. It’s also happened when doing weights. Like they see me using X amount, they have that same one or maybe just a wee bit heavier, so they quickly replace and go even heavier.

• Krissy January 28, 2010, 8:23 pm

HAHAHA oh my gosh, I am dying laughing right now – I don’t know how you didn’t burst out laughing at that muscle head :) hehe (no offense to any muscle heads out there – but common – don’t try and take on the cardio Queen!! lol).
    You go girl, that sounds like an awsome workout! I have yet to try a spin class – but am dyingggg too!!
    xoxo

• Nicole January 28, 2010, 8:29 pm

haha, I was laughing really loud in my head! I actually wanted to put it up higher to see if he would put it up higher too, but I didn’t want to hurt him. haha

Spin classes on awesome! Great cardio, and great crosstraining for a runner like yourself! 😉

• Liz January 28, 2010, 8:34 pm

I have to admit, I love to look at the treadmill next to me. I try to be sneaky, and I never adjust my speed based on it, but I have to play a little bit of a competitive game. It’s already so boring.

But definitely keep up the speed work. I started doing it before my first marathon and ran a 3:52–and my goal was only to break 4. It makes all the difference.

• Jessica @ Fit Chick Wannabe January 29, 2010, 12:53 pm

I peek too. :) I don’t up my speed either, I just like to see what the person next to me is doing. I can never just tell by how they look running. And, I also have to admit that if I am going faster than them, or go longer than them, I do feel a little sense of accomplishment. lol

• Amanda January 28, 2010, 8:47 pm

oh, these guys crack me up!!! I’m always coming across men that I go to pass on the roaf or at the track and they will ALWAYS speed up and attempt to not allow me to pass. it makes me laugh every time.

• Mike January 28, 2010, 8:52 pm

He sounds like a typical A type personality. I just let it roll off my back, just like you did. Just know he is at home scratching is head and then his butt, trying to figure out why he can’t keep up with you!

• Kimberly Lee January 28, 2010, 8:55 pm

This has started happening to me with greater frequency. I am 8.5 months pregnant, but had been working out consistently prior to pregnancy, so my doctor gave me the green light to keep working out per my previous plan. It seems that when any new person comes to the gym, they think they need to out-do/outlast/out work the “pregnant woman”. Most of the time, they give up and walk away in awe.

I guess that assume that because I have this baby bump that I am not in shape. I just have to laugh to myself and keep focused on my own workout.

• Good Taste. Healthy Me January 28, 2010, 10:34 pm

That is too funny! I really admire your drive when it comes to working out. You do such a great job. I can’t get over how fast you were going! I have to work myself up to that. I have a 5K to train for (baby steps!).

• Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) January 28, 2010, 10:34 pm

haha, that is too funny. I’m glad you outran him!

I’ve never had that happen to me, but I run pretty slow. :)

• 'Drea January 28, 2010, 11:09 pm

I must admit that I peep at other people’s machines but I don’t compete with them.

Oh, and I love taking my frustrations out on cardio machines.

• Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 28, 2010, 11:10 pm

I’m the same way about speed work… I hate during it but LOVE how I feel afterward. I don’t belong to a gym so I’m missing out on funny stories like yours :)

• Ryan January 29, 2010, 1:42 am

Nobody is faster than me so I don’t have to worry about it :-)

But I do love farting on the treadmill…now that’s a topic!

• Nicole January 29, 2010, 7:45 am

lol, remind me not to run next to you on the treadmill!

• Abby January 29, 2010, 3:18 am

hahaha! That is hilarious!

• Jessica @ Fit Chick Wannabe January 29, 2010, 12:55 pm

I always feel more accomplished when I push myself, too. That is also why no matter what I’m doing, for the last quarter mile or so, I really push so that I can finish with a “bang” so to speak. :)

• Marisa January 29, 2010, 1:34 pm

hahaha I love your pic for this post!!! this happened to me a long time ago (when I was running at a pace faster than turtle!) and it was two guys – I was running for distance and they thought they would out run me, they got off the treadmill after 5 miles…I was running 8. It hasn’t happened to me here though. I’m always afraid that I’m breathing too loud though. :)

• Elaine January 29, 2010, 3:57 pm

You go girl!!!!

Mom

• Nicole January 29, 2010, 10:08 pm

Thanks, mom! I love you!

• Andy M. January 29, 2010, 5:32 pm

I don’t usually have too much of a problem with “competitors” at the gym on the treadmill, but it is funny when I have a person next to me that is doing 45min plus. I usually negative split my runs on the treadmill on purpose, so they usually get frustrated when they blow it out in the first 20 minutes or so and have to slow down, and then they see me speeding up. As for your marathon, you should not have a problem sub 3:50’ing it if you are doing those kind of workouts. I was an idiot and blew out the first 12 miles of my marathon because i was trying to catchup after taking a bathroom break @ mile 1 (WTF). I would have run sub 4 but I ended up having to walk towards the end and put me over 4 hours. I did not do the type of speedwork you are doing for my race, so I think you should be fine :) I have faith in you! Have a good weekend!

• Gelareh @ Nutritious Foodie January 29, 2010, 5:40 pm

Hmm I don’t run, but there is a girl at my gym that when she gets on the ET she just goes crazy… I have tried to keep up with her and no no it is not happening so now I pick one far away from her.

I am thinking that maybe after MS150 I look into teaching Spin classes, I go to them anyways might as well make them free :)

I registered for the FIT BLOGGING today… I look forward to meeting you in person in a couple months :)

• Nicole January 29, 2010, 10:06 pm

You should totally look into it! I was always way too shy to actually teach my own class, but I had a good mentor here who believed in me. Now, I’m a great bossy, loud, not shy instructor. I LOVE it! And I love encouraging people to do things that they never thought possible. Yes, that all can happen in a spin class. 😉

I look forward to meeting you too!

• Holly January 29, 2010, 7:26 pm

honestly, i love competing with people. competition is what gives me drive, so i try to look at it as a good thing. even though i am probably too competitive :)

• Holly January 29, 2010, 7:26 pm

p.s. cutest comment ever by your mom!

• Nicole January 29, 2010, 9:34 pm

OMG Nicole you are so funny!! I would never compete with you but I would love to be next to you doing my own pace!! You are so inspirational that I would be inspired to go a (Little faster) of my own time.
    Keep up the great work. I would love to take your spin class, but I live in northern california. I LOVE SPIN class, I bet your an awesome teacher!!!!

• Michelle@Eatingjourney January 30, 2010, 12:46 am

I think what this posts demonstrates is that really is comes down to balance with your workouts. I call them ‘meat heads’ and although they may be totally built, their cardio is nowhere near others. With that being said I call them ‘cardio rabbits’ who only do cardio and nothing else.

It’s really about balance. 150 years ago we would have been working the fields, picking up hay, milking cows, grinding out own flour, etc. Our bodies were worked all day long in different ways.

That’s what we have to simulate today.