Bloody, Sweaty, Snowy 16 Miler – Geek Turned Athlete

Bloody, Sweaty, Snowy 16 Miler

I was a little worried about the weather for our 16 miler planned for this morning, but it really didn’t end up being that bad.  I think the windchill was only at 17 degrees.  Hey, it could have been way worse!  I didn’t get much sleep last night because I was so nervous for this run!  I have no idea why.  Maybe, it was because I’d never run past 14 miles before?  Luckily, I had 5 people coming to my house at 8am so I really couldn’t bail. DSC05602

Renee and I were the only ones who ran 16 miles today.  This is us very happy before!DSC05604

Getting ready to go!DSC05605

We did not plan on wearing only red and black.  It just ended up being that way.  haha The roads were icy and quite scary at first!DSC05609

Then, after the first .25 mile, we headed onto a trail that had ankle to mid shin deep snow.  The first two people dropped out at a mile and a half of that.  It was like running in sand.  My legs were burning at mile 1!!  I thought to myself, “How am I going to run 16 miles in this?”  My breathing was heavy!DSC05612

Obviously, we weren’t really dressed for this deep snow!DSC05614

The snow continued to be like this for the next 6 miles.  It sucked!  I kept rolling my ankle.  Not safe at all!DSC05615

It was beautiful though.  We finally hit some more ice and less snow.  I really don’t know which one was worse, honestly.  I ran the risk of slipping on the ice, but I kept rolling my ankle in the deep snow.  At mile 9, the next two people were done, and it was just Renee and I for the final 7.  Eventually, we just got sick of running on the trails and decided to hit the plowed roads with the cars.  Much better only the cars weren’t really moving for us, even though they had enough room!

Once we got back on the roads, my energy came back, and I stuck to my pacing.  I wasn’t that tired while running (although I’m exhausted now!), and I’m really excited for my 18 miler next weekend!DSC05616

When I got home, I noticed this when I took off my shoe!DSC05619

I guess I had rubbed the skin off the back of my ankle, and hadn’t even felt it because I was either in the zone or my ankles were just numb.  It was probably a combination of both!DSC05623

Sixteen miles, of course, is a distance record for me, and I couldn’t be more excited!  If you would have told me 5 years ago that I would be training for a marathon, I would have thought you were crazy.  It is amazing what can happen when you start thinking positively!

As soon as I got home, I had just enough time to shower, answer a couple of emails, and throw something together for the first official Ramstein tri party of the season!  It was actually just a meeting that had food at it.  We talked about where our fitness levels and triathlon experience is, and upcoming races so that we could start planning a schedule.  I might have found a new swimming training partner at the meeting!  I need some extra motivation there for sure!

Well, it is almost 7pm over here, and I’m already for bed.  I really don’t think I have the energy to make dinner, but I’m so happy.  It was an awesome day. 😉

What are you up to this weekend?  Any good training?

• Heather (Where's the Beach) January 30, 2010, 6:54 pm

Ouchie on the rubbed area, but awesome run. You go!!!

• Erica January 30, 2010, 8:15 pm

WOW! You are an inspiration! Way to rock through that run!!! Great pictures- love that you all ended up accidentally color coordinated haha. Have a great weekend.

• Estela @ Weekly Bite January 30, 2010, 8:24 pm

Wow, so hardcore of you to run in that weather!

I’ve broken my skin on the back of my ankle before too.

• Retta @ RunRettaRun January 30, 2010, 9:11 pm

Awesome run and you are definitely brave to go out in such cold temps. I totally love that you had a crew run w/ you most of the way. I would have been all by my lonesome! Again, great job!

• 'Drea January 30, 2010, 11:53 pm

(((Applause)))

• Michelle@Eatingjourney January 31, 2010, 1:37 am

I love doing things that you never thought you could do. The high from doing it is nothing that can be compared. Good on you.

• Nicole January 31, 2010, 2:12 am

UNBELIEVEABLE GIRLFRIEND!!! WAY TO GO :) Great, great inspiration to me.

• Natalie January 31, 2010, 2:44 am

you’re amazing!!! instead of icing your ankle, you should just have just stuck it in the snow! ha!! great job on the run.

nothing crazy going on this weekend; nagging hip pain is telling me to stay inside. :( from one ailment to another!

• Jessica @ The Process of Healing January 31, 2010, 4:25 am

Congrats on the run!!!! Running in the snow.. you are hardcore!

• Kendel January 31, 2010, 5:23 pm

Woohoo for such a successful run! There’s a marathon in Bonn in March… just planting seeds! The more practice the better! Good job!

• Maria January 31, 2010, 8:34 pm

I am cold just from the pics! Nice job!

• Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 31, 2010, 8:54 pm

Congrats on your first 16 miler!! I hope to train for a marathon this year too but luckily won’t have to deal with snow… bbbrrrr. Yesterday I had an awesome chest, shoulder, tri and ab workout and this morning I did some interval training I call 7-7-7. Might do a short yoga DVD later in the afternoon after some cleaning.

Can’t wait to hear about your 18 miler next weekend! Hope the ankles heals up.

• Leah @ Simply Fabulous January 31, 2010, 9:36 pm

WOW! I can’t believe you ran 16 miles in those conditions! You are dedicated!

• Gelareh @ Nutritious Foodie February 1, 2010, 2:17 am

wow that’s dedication… We had our MS-150 training this weekend … but too cold so I went to the gym instead

• Laura Georgina February 1, 2010, 2:37 pm

What a run! You are brave and hardcore and should carry a beer stein around and go “rrraaaa” at passersby just to prove it. I bet your ankle was so cold it went numb, hence not feeling the blister so, in a way, the snow and cold enabled the successful run (kinda?)

• Nicole February 1, 2010, 3:14 pm

haha. I have been known to carry around a beer stein!

• Elaine February 1, 2010, 5:43 pm

Wow Nicole! You’ve got stamina–that’s for sure! Guess who you got it from–your mother! I’m so proud of you. Keep up the great work.

Love,
    Mom

• Nicole February 1, 2010, 5:45 pm

Haha! Mom, you crack me up! :)

• Mike February 1, 2010, 9:34 pm

You are hard core. Running that far in the deep snow is what people who really want to run fast in the summer do. Great work!

And where is the post based on your tweet? 😉

• Tricia February 1, 2010, 11:52 pm

You rock!

• Leana February 2, 2010, 2:03 pm

Wow, 16 miles in all that snow? Good for you, that is definitely tougher than any regular 16 miler. Hope the ankle heals up, but at least now you have a cool war wound to flash around!

• Andy M. February 2, 2010, 5:26 pm

I have some crazy nasty pictures of bleeding on my ankles and shoes from a run a couple of years ago. I have it posted on my blog somewhere… probably 2008 or early 2009. It is great that you were able to make it all the way through the run! Good choice to get back on the road. It always helps to have someone with you on runs such as that. I have a tri buddy of mine who used to do long runs with me like that, and now he has moved to Nashville, TN for work. Boo. Hope everything else is going well!

• Jen Sanders February 2, 2010, 6:44 pm

Wow! This is pure dedication! You should be SO proud of yourself! We only have about 14 inches of snow here in Virginia, but I am using it as an excuse to stay in and do a workout dvd! Love the blog!
    ~Jen
    Happy Heart, Happy Mind

• Dawn (HealthySDLiving) February 2, 2010, 6:57 pm

WOW! You are awesome…that’s really incredible!

• Rachel February 2, 2010, 8:47 pm

16 miles in the snow? Nice! I wish I had weathered my 16 mile run with only a blister. My poor IT band!

• Bill February 6, 2010, 12:12 pm

Hi Nicole. Coming over by way of Tea’s blog.

Great run! We eventually ended up with a blizzard in the last hour or so of the 50K up by Frankfurt. So I will tip my hat to anyone who got out and ran any distance that day.

At least a lot of the snow’s gone. But after seeing the trails out your way yesterday during the 5K, I’d rather have the snow than the mud.

• Rose February 10, 2010, 9:41 pm

OMG!!! You go girl!!! The farthest I’ve run is 13 miles, and that’s NOT in snow. I’ve hiked with a 50lb pack on 8 miles in knee deep snow and that sucks royally in a sick-but-fun way 😉