First Tri Party of the Year!! – Geek Turned Athlete

First Tri Party of the Year!!

We had a wonderful time last night!  My friend, Leah and I put on a low key triathlon party on Saturday night to watch the 2008 Hawaii Ironman DVD, and to sort of give people more info about competing in a triathlons.  About 9 people showed up, and as you can see they also had to dress up in their workout gear!!

DSC05459

DSC05464

Everyone brought an appetizer.  It was actually a fairly healthy night with homemade pita chips and different homemade salsas like mango/cilantro and apple/chicken plus a variety of cheeses and hummus.

DSC05456

DSC05457And wine was flowing, of course!

As you can see, the workout outfit competition was fierce!!  In the end, we gave our prizes (cycling socks) to the triathlon virgins (the girl in the gray shirt above and the girl in the pink shirt below) in an effort to get them motivated to come back!  We also gave away cycling water bottles to everyone.

DSC05453

Yes, I act like this and didn’t drink at all!  These were our game faces!  I think I need to work on mine being a little bit more scary!  I actually felt a cold coming on yesterday and decided to only drink water at the party.  I didn’t want to be dehydrated with a cold rearing it’s ugly head.

DSC05461

The Ironman DVD was so inspirational.  We were all crying by the end of it.  I loved how it talked about the normal people that do it in addition to the elites.  They showed young, old (like a 77 year old woman), handicapped, basically any array of different people and their struggle to get there.  If you can, rent it.  So good, so good!

DSC05462

I didn’t end up getting home until 1 am!!  I was a zombie by 10:30pm, and I don’t even know why I stayed longer than that!

I was supposed to swim yesterday, but the pool was actually closed yesterday due to road conditions.  Today, I was supposed to run and swim, but I decided to take the day off since my head and throat have been aching since yesterday.  I think it was a good decision considering that I feel a little better already.  I don’t mind taking a day or two off from training here and there if I know that it will prevent me from having to take a week off because I’m seriously ill.  I’m taking Zicam and Airbourne like crazy.  I can’t get sick!!

All in all, it was a great weekend!  I hope yours were all great as well!  I’m off to bed because I’ve got a spin class to teach in 8 hours!!

• Tea January 10, 2010, 11:01 pm

What a great idea! I’m going to do that next year!

(the food looked mighty delicious also).

• Natalie January 11, 2010, 2:11 am

the party looked like tons of fun! hopefully you’re not getting sick, setbacks in training are bad enough; to top it off with a stuffy nose and itchy eyes are even worse!!

if you haven’t seen “Spirit of the Marathon” i highly suggest it! very inspiring stuff!

• Good Taste. Healthy Me January 11, 2010, 3:29 am

what an awesome night! I’m so glad you had tons of fun!! I always stay out later than I originally intend to also. Time flies when having fun.

• Leah January 11, 2010, 5:02 am

girl that party looks like a blast!! I wish the tri club at my uni would throw parties like that, haha…Looks like some awesome eats as well!

• Mandy @ University Cooking January 11, 2010, 5:52 am

Oh wow. Delicious party food. Mango salsa is my favourite.

• The Everyday Minimalist January 11, 2010, 10:40 pm

Those appetizers look incredible. My gosh.. what I wouldn’t give for some great deli meats, dip, lots of bread and cheese

• Leana January 12, 2010, 3:57 am

It looks like so much fun!! Hope you are feeling better…no one likes to be sick!

• Marisa January 12, 2010, 11:02 am

Nicole,
    I’m so bummed I missed out! I have been working crazy hours lately and on the weekend. I hope all is going well – looks like you ladies had a wonderful time.

• Ryan January 12, 2010, 1:33 pm

My Tri club has a party every day. We are a totally wild bunch too: cursing and swearing, booze, dirty jokes, awesome workouts, flexing, posing… you name it and we do it.

OK, my tri club is just me :-( :-)

I have 4 Ironman World Championships on my Tivo and when I’m feeling too lazy/cold/tired I watch various parts of any of them for a few minutes and tell myself, ” If you want to go back to Hawaii then you need to get out the door.”

• Nicole January 12, 2010, 3:01 pm

Haha. Okay, so I guess I always have a party too! 😉

Those things are great motivation, aren’t they?!