All The Single Ladies, All The Single Ladies! – Geek Turned Athlete

All The Single Ladies, All The Single Ladies!

This post is dedicated to all the single ladies out there who put up with crap that women with spouses don’t have to!

For the past week, I have really been awakened to how much the hubby does for me on a daily basis.  Every single time he deploys (we are a month into this one so far), I get a reality check of how lucky I really am.  n1124250222_30129804_3521[1] He’s my fix it man! haha.  I love this pic of him.  This was at our house in Tucson when our cousin (white shirt) was visiting.  I can’t remember what he was fixing, but he was hot when he was fixing it! lol

Here are some instances from the past week that aided in my realization:

• I’m really bad with anything having to do with a car/truck.  I had to take the truck in twice to our mechanic because I forgot to show them a dent from our accident that my husband reminded me about over the phone.  They totally thought that I was lying and got into another accident on the way home or something!  He is usually the one to take the truck into the mechanic, and I’m constantly forgetting things to tell them leading to many annoying phone calls made by me to the mechanic!
  • Dragging a trash can 300 feet in 2 feet deep snow to put it out on the street, tripping and falling on the way back to the house with no one to laugh at me except some Germans passing by (Steve usually does the trash cans and the teasing which I now miss).
  • Trying to unscrew and screw back on both of our dirty license plates (front and back) at the car registration place with a rusty screw driver in a blizzard while I have lost all feeling in my hands because they were freezing!  Steve would definitely be doing that!  Yeah, it took me 15 minutes each for unscrewing and screwing when it would have taken 5 for him.  Whatever happened to the sticker with the new year that they give you in the states?
  • Usually when I get done with my long runs outside on the weekends, I run upstairs and take a shower, then come downstairs and cuddle with the hubby for a good 30 minutes to warm up.  Even after a 20 minute shower this weekend after my 16 mile run, I was still freezing and had no one to cuddle with!  I sat on the couch shivering for a while wrapped in a blanket.
  • The other night, it took me 30 minutes to get a bottle of balsamic vinegar open, and I was using a steak knife!  I kept thinking: Oh God, if I cut off my finger for balsamic vinegar, who is going to drive me to the hospital?!
  • Wanting to come home and vent about various things, and coming home to no one!  Don’t get me wrong, I have friends over here that I can vent to.  I have friends in the states as well, but the hubby is my best friend.  Plus, there are just things that you only want to vent whether good/bad to your husband.
  • Today, I woke up with a fever and a sore throat.  I taught a spin class, and now I can’t talk.  There is no one to make me dinner or get me another glass of water with theraflu.

The point of writing all this wasn’t to make you feel sorry for me!  After all of these instances, I kept telling myself: Single people do this stuff on their own all the time.  Really, it isn’t that bad!  You are an independent strong woman, you can do this! Stop being a pussy!  (especially with the balsamic bottle, that thing was a little shiznit! haha)

If you are attached, please take a minute today to hug and thank your significant other for all that they may do for you whether it be for taking out the trash or being your personal heater.  :)

The hubs called last week, and I definitely let him know how much he means to me, and I can’t wait until he gets back!

If you are single, you are the bomb for being so strong and doing all of the things that the rest of us take for granted!

• Jessica @ How Sweet February 3, 2010, 2:40 pm

Love this post!! My hubby does so much – even washing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen and doing laundry, and I DO take it for granted sometimes. I will thank him today. :) And you have a hottie hubby!! :)

• Nicole February 3, 2010, 2:42 pm

I know! He is going to be even more hot than that when he gets back ’cause he working out a lot over there! Thanks!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) February 3, 2010, 3:20 pm

Thanks for that important reminder! I agree, I know that I often take my hubby for granted especially when I’m annoyed about the things he didn’t do on the “to-do” list but forgetting about the other things he does!

• Marisa February 3, 2010, 3:40 pm

Nicole, I totally understand what you are saying in this post. My hubby is constantly gone, sometimes for many months back to back and it makes us realize the little things they do. For me it’s with the dogs, he’ll usually take over them in the evening (feeding, potty breaks, etc…) Keep strong…you should record him making fun of you so when you fall in the snow again you can play it 😉

• Kelly February 3, 2010, 4:02 pm

It’s interesting because I’m actually in the opposite situation – newly single after a 4-year relationship. And whileI definitely realize how much I was used to counting on my boyfriend for, I also now realize how much I can do on my own. Similar level of appreciation, but absolutely opposite inspiration.

• Nicole February 3, 2010, 4:34 pm

I’m sorry to hear that! But at the same time, very liberating! There have been many breakups around the blog world lately, so I felt kinda weird putting this post up. I decided to anyway, b/c I felt like a baby for even remotely whining in my head about everyday things that normal single people have to put up with! :) You go girl!

• Estela @ Weekly Bite February 3, 2010, 5:38 pm

I feel the same way you do! When they deploy you quickly realize how much they do!

Your hubby is super cute by the way 😉

• Nicole February 3, 2010, 5:45 pm

Thanks! He’s gonna kill me when he finds out I put that pic up of him! haha

• Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama February 3, 2010, 5:53 pm

Um…. your husband is HOT! 😉

• Gelareh @ Nutritious Foodie February 3, 2010, 7:55 pm

Great post! I often think about all the things that Raymond does around the house and even though I used to do it all the time when I was single and I can do it if I have to.. I have to say it is nice to have a hubby that helps and takes care of stuff.

Sorry to hear you are sick. I hope you feel better soon.

• pen February 3, 2010, 8:21 pm

um, i’m not going to lie. i’m a single girl in my mid twenties who owns her own house…and still calls her daddy to fix things. even with him living 600 miles away, there is always a “honey do” list waiting for him when he visits.

that said, I did manage to handle some minor remodeling all by my girlie-self!

• Mike February 3, 2010, 9:30 pm

Great post. My wife will usually admit that I am good for something more than dripping sweat on her new couches or stinking up the closet with my running shoes.

I think she secretly likes me…

• LindsayRuns February 3, 2010, 10:37 pm

Know the feeling girl! Last night hubby grilled our steaks, took out the trash, sharpened the knives, and I got extra cuddles. The whole time I’m mentally sitting back enjoying it cause I just can’t do those things the same when he’s gone. We’ve got ~6 more weeks of 2010 left together! (scattered of course, but still) I’m appreciating every second!

• Kendel February 3, 2010, 10:40 pm

This is a wonderful post. I know you said he’d kill you when he realizes you put up that hot photo, but I think he’ll really appreciate that you shared with others how much he means to you. I’m sure he’s feeling the same way right now… missing all the wonderful things his beautiful wife does! I hope this deployment goes fast and you get your man back safe and sound in no time!

• Jessica @ Fit Chick Wannabe February 4, 2010, 12:37 am

Loved this post! I definitely just went over and hugged my fiance. <3 He is amazingly handy, and I love it!

• 'Drea February 4, 2010, 1:15 am

I think it’s cute that you use your husband as a human blanket.

• marit c-l February 4, 2010, 1:54 am

Great post Nicole – I’m thinking about you and Steve! Hope you feel better asap… Perhaps some of those blueberry pancakes will do the trick for you…. :) Sending you hugs!!!

• Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) February 4, 2010, 3:59 am

Awesome post Nicole! So true :) Husbands really are the best for warming up!

• Jessica @ The Process of Healing February 4, 2010, 4:19 am

Oh wow girl, your husband is pretty hot!! Haha

I am single but I am working on the single girl skills… however, i’m enjoying being single. I mean if you think about it, most likely the majority of your life you will be married. Might as well live it up while you aren’t :)

• Michelle@Eatingjourney February 4, 2010, 5:04 am

does he have a brother? 😉

• Alison February 4, 2010, 5:21 pm

This is a great post! I owned my own home before my husband moved in with me, and it’s weird how I’m so dependent on him now. If something breaks, I feel kind of helpless to fix it and I ask for his help. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I was the “fix-it queen” before he came along! I am sorry that your hubby isn’t there to cuddle with you now. There’s no replacing that. I pray that he comes back soon and safe!

• Nicole February 4, 2010, 11:53 pm

Hi Nicole, Just catching up on blogging since I have been down with a cold for about a week. Like your casa!! How long have you lived in Germany and how long are you staying? I love Yoga, don’t think I can do that pose.
    What a cutie hubby. I have been married now for 18 years and I often tell hubby how much I appreciate him.
    Nicole, drink lots of tea and get better soon. :) ciao

• melissa February 5, 2010, 12:38 am

My first time reading your blog and I think the fact that you just ran 16 miles for the first time (in the snow!) is really fantastic. I run my first 1/2 marathon April 10 and feel really inspired by your dedication. Any tips for gear (watches, etc) or mental courage, etc that you have found helpful??

• Jessica February 5, 2010, 4:07 pm

Aw! I love this post! It’s so true, it’s SO incredibly easy to take all those little things for granted until you suddenly don’t have them around anymore for one reason or another. I feel for you and your situation, I can’t imagine what it must be like! I know that when my sis was going through her divorce, it REALLY made me pause and reflect on my relationship with my husband and how lucky I really was to have him in my life. Not just for the little things but for the love and support I know I can count on from him every single day, no matter what. Since then, I’ve really tried to count my blessings and take every little moment in, because you just never know when it’ll be your last.

• Diana February 6, 2010, 2:22 pm

Yea, I def take my hubby for granted. :( Thanks for the reminder to be thankful. It’s amazing all the things they can do sometimes that you don’t think of.

Hope you’re feeling better soon! Drink lots of fluids! :)