From the Ashes – Geek Turned Athlete

From the Ashes

Hey guys!  I’m so sorry that I didn’t post anything yesterday.  After getting back into town from London at 3am, I was exhausted and had a busy day ahead of me.  I was supposed to teach spin, but there was some drama at the gym that thank goodness I wasn’t involved in, and the spin room was double booked as a side effect of the drama.  Of course, I didn’t find this out until I had gotten to the gym to teach at 6:45am with 3 hours of sleep.  After a nap, my day was filled with errands and school AND trying to stay awake!  The London weekend recap is coming as soon as I get some pics from the girls that I went with. We had an absolute blast! 😉

I went on an awesome 4 mile run today.  It was my first run in 2 weeks!  Needless to say, I was a little worried about how I was going to do considering the break and the fact that I had pneumonia for the past couple of weeks.  I kept putting it off all morning, but I needed to get it done before my errands.  It always seems like the more time I take off from working out, the harder it is to get my butt out the door.  I knew that I would feel so much better and be less stressed out with school if I went.

The sun started peeking out from the clouds as I stepped outside.  It was a crisp 25 degrees out.  DSC05986

The path was cleared for the very first half mile of the run, DSC05988

but then it quickly turned into this:DSC05989

The deer were out in full force:DSC05991

Can you see the footprints?DSC05998

DSC05992

My legs and chest started burning about 1 mile into this run.  I had wished that I had taken a few puffs of my inhaler before I left the house at this point.  I am still wheezing!    At the same time, I was so happy to be outside and breathing hard.  It felt so good to move even though I had a little bit of extra resistance because of the snow!!!DSC05994

I felt a smile start to form on my face around that same mile that my lungs were on fire.  I thought to myself, “I am crazy.  Why do I like this pain?”.  Then, I started laughing inside even more.  It felt so good to be outside.  I felt alive for the first time in a week and a half.  Oh trails, how I have missed you!  DSC05993

That smile continued with me through the duration of the run.  It never went away.  I LOVE running even when it hurts sometimes.  It is good to put that kind of stress on the body.  There is something very primal about running that I especially feel when I’m out on the trails.  I’m so glad that I’m finally feeling better!  The rest DID really pay off!  I’m glad that I took it easy last week!DSC05996

I hope your week is going well!  I am starting my new weight lifting program today.  I will post about it tomorrow!  We are already halfway through this week, folks!

Happy Running!

• Estela @ Weekly Bite February 17, 2010, 1:37 pm

Glad to hear your feeling better! I must have missed that you had pneumonia.

Hope you have a great day :)

• Heather (Where's the Beach) February 17, 2010, 2:42 pm

Just take it slowly after pneumonia!! You’ll bounce back since you were in such good shape, but be careful not to overdo it.

• Gelareh @ Nutritious Foodie February 17, 2010, 3:18 pm

Looking forward to reading your London recap :)

The snow looks beautiful.. I bet it was nice to outside getting some fresh air. :)

• Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me February 17, 2010, 4:13 pm

Can’t wait to see pictures from your trip! I bet it was so amazing!

Yay for getting back out there! It must feel so good!

• Graze With Me February 17, 2010, 4:17 pm

Ha! I think you’re nuts for loving the ‘burning lungs’ but to each her own right? :) I do agree that getting up and out the door after a hiatus is the hardest part – good for you for going for it!! Can’t wait to see London pictures.

• Megan @ Healthy Hoggin February 17, 2010, 5:07 pm

Good job on the run! I took the weekend pretty easy, training-wise, and I’m dreading how my run will go this afternoon… that’s what I get, I guess!

Can’t wait to hear about London!

• Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather February 17, 2010, 6:34 pm

Yay for the 4 miler! Sometimes even though a run or workout hurts it makes me happy too.. I know it’s doing my body good then.

• Mike February 17, 2010, 6:35 pm

How was your chest though? Outside of the asthma, did you still have crud on your lungs? I hope that all got cleared up before London at least!

• Dave February 17, 2010, 8:24 pm

Looking forward to hearing about your new lifting program and London adventures. It looks like you’ve got some beautiful places to run.

• Abby February 17, 2010, 10:10 pm

I think that you path looks gorgoeous! I’d love to run that!!!

• Alison February 18, 2010, 4:48 am

So glad you had an exhilirating run! I always have to take 2 inhaler puffs before running whether I’m sick or not. Darn asthma. But I’m so grateful that meds like that exist or some of us would never be able to run!