London, Here I Come! - Geek Turned Athlete

London, Here I Come!

image

I am so sore from yesterday’s mini weight lifting session that lasted 30 minutes!  I wasn’t sore after running 16 miles two weeks ago though.  Go figure!  I’m slowly recovering from my pneumonia.  I had an urge to go running this morning, but the blizzard we were having outside had other plans.  I thought that running outside in said conditions would probably not be beneficial to my recovery so I didn’t.  I can’t wait to start working out again next week when I get back!

I had some errands to run on base today, but that got shot down b/c the roads are so bad that the conditions were code red which meant only mission essential things were open.  Then instead of shopping, I had to pack my bag earlier than expected because we decided to leave tonight for the airport instead of tomorrow morning because the roads are so bad over here (The closest airport in my neck of the woods in these road conditions is about an hour and a half away).  Which means: the shopping will have to happen in London!  I don’t think my husband will be as happy as I am when he finds out about it though.  hehe 😉

I’m trying to decide what to bring for my 3 day trip which is really difficult since I am a habitual “pack more than I need” packer.  But with the weight limit of 30 pounds on Ryan Air, I’m trying to only pack the essentials including wearing my heaviest items on the plane!  I am so excited to go!  It has taken me way to long to make my way over there since I have lived in Europe for 2 years already!

In London, I’m looking forward to:

• Places to eat that are not Italian and German ( I love these foods, but they are all we have where I live!)
  • Not worrying about language barriers when traveling!
  • Getting out of the house!  I have been on bed rest for practically a week!
  • Dressing in something other than my workout clothes or pajamas!
  • This coincides with the first point, but CURRY!!  I LOVE Indian food!
  • Hanging out with good friends and forgetting about the fact that my hubby and I won’t be together for Valentine’s Day
  • Seeing new things. Period.  I LOVE to travel!  I get anxious over traveling, but all the stress is worth it learning more about other cultures!

Now, I won’t be blogging over there.  I want to soak up all the experience and not have to worry about blogging. Living life is more important than blogging!  Plus, with the weight restrictions even on carry-ons, I would rather pack a pair of boots than the laptop.  Sorry!  🙂  I will have a full recap when I get back along with regularly scheduled rants on working out (hopefully, unless I relapse!  knock on wood)!

Totally random, but if you like New Belgium Brewing Company (Blue Moon, Fat Tire, etc.), you will like them even more because of how environmentally sustainable they are!

Another totally random thing, my husband gets my blog posts where he is at:

My dear husband, you are the love of my life.  You honestly complete me.  I feel so honored to have you in my life (even if you aren’t physically here with me for the next few months).  You are the nicest, sweetest, funniest, hottest person I know and worth waiting forever for.  You are my best friend, and you are the best thing that has ever happened to me.  Thank you for putting up with my craziness and my nerdiness.  Thank you for loving me for me and never asking me to change.  Thank you for being my biggest supporter for all of my endeavors no matter how insane they appear to be.  Happy Valentine’s Day, my love.  I will be drinking a random English beer in a pub in your honor on V-day. 😉  I love you.

Wherever you all are, I hope you are surrounded by love this weekend whether it be by a pet, family member, friend, or lover! 😉

• Megan February 12, 2010, 4:42 pm

Have a safe trip, and have fun!

• Laura Georgina February 12, 2010, 4:44 pm

Have a great time!! If you love curry of the South Indian variety and find yourself by the British Library/Euston road, there’s a great Indian restaurant called Ragam on Cleveland Street (Goodge tube) that is AMAZING! Small, fresh, cheap, authentic, and very friendly service; it’s my favorite restaurant in London (and probably in all of England).

• Nutritious Foodie February 12, 2010, 6:32 pm

Have a wonderful trip and enjoy your time with your firends.

Looking forward to reading about your tirp and seeing pics.

• Tiffany February 12, 2010, 7:02 pm

I’m so excited for you! Hooray for RyanAir!

I lived in Baumholder from Dec. 2001-2003; I will definitely move back to Germany some day (retirement? I have like 40 years until I have to think about that, though). That is where my true fitness life came about, in the dinky fitness gym on post (it’s probably re-done by now, I’m sure). I really wish that I had found the endurance athlete in me over there, though! I look through your pictures and just go “awwwwwww yeah, that would’ve been an awesome run!”. Hehe…soak it up!

• Graze With Me February 12, 2010, 7:22 pm

The New Belgium thing was completely random, yes, but more so because they are based here in Fort Collins (where I live). I love their way of doing business and among the 5 or 6 breweries here they are the only ones who still offer free beer tastings! Love them. 🙂

Have fun in London!

• Kendel February 12, 2010, 9:25 pm

Have a great time in London! I wish you health, happiness, lots of laughs and joy! I look forward to reading all about your time back in a land of English speakers!

• Megan @ Healthy Hoggin February 12, 2010, 10:11 pm

Have a great trip! I loved visiting London– lots of tasty food and shopping! 🙂

Look forward to hearing how it goes!

• Mike February 12, 2010, 11:12 pm

Awww…nice touch with the message to your man. I am sure it will mean the world to him…

• Michelle@Eatingjourney February 13, 2010, 10:01 am

how cute is that.

• Leana February 13, 2010, 5:41 pm

I hope you have a great weekend in London!!!! Glad to hear you are starting to feel better too after all the rest. It isn’t easy resting, but sometimes it is the best thing to help us get better faster. Don’t worry, I struggle with it too!

• Heather February 15, 2010, 1:26 am

im excited to hear about your trip when you arrive home.

you note to your husband was ADORABLY sweet. reminds me to keep believing in love 😉

also – very excited that you are going to be running the race with us after Fitbloggin! 🙂 im pumped for that!

• Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me February 15, 2010, 6:34 pm

Have a blast! Your message to your husband was so sweet!

• Leah @ Simply Fabulous February 15, 2010, 11:16 pm

Awww, what a cute message to your Husband!
    I hope you LIVE IT UP in London! Can’t wait to see a recap post 🙂

• Elaine February 16, 2010, 10:19 pm

Just looking forward to hearing whether or not you received your package.
    Love, Mom

P.S.: Have a safe and FUN trip!