Mac or PC? - Geek Turned Athlete

Mac or PC?

Real life has been a priority over blogging lately, and I apologize for that!  My computer and printer have not been working the way they should, and this is not good considering it is how I’m able to “attend” grad school at UF from Germany.  I think that I spent a total of 20 hours from Friday night through Monday working on these issues that I don’t have time for!  Really, my PC has been giving me problems since I first bought it 2 years ago.  It’s so sad!  Plus, I’ve had huge papers with a few smaller ones due the past few days!  I broke down and ended up ordering a Macbook Pro on Friday.  I will be asking questions to you mac users, so be prepared!  I’ve never used a Mac!

So, today started off bright and early with teaching an indoor cycling class!  Here was my playlist for the class if any of you are interested in some new music.  The first two songs were just played while everyone was getting set up, and we started the warm-up on Mary Jane’s Last Dance.  Songs 16 and 17 played while we were stretching and wiping off the bikes after class.    imageIf you are interested in a killer bike workout, here was my profile that I got from Group Fit Power.  This is an awesome website if you are any kind of an instructor or if you just need something to break up the monotony of your indoor training rides!

Then after spin, I headed to the pool.  I swam 1100 meters today which I’m not particularly proud of.  I just felt off.  I didn’t feel like I was gliding AT ALL.  I know that I’m just getting back into it after being sick.  I need to be patient.  A friend of mine was taking a water aerobics class in the next lane, and told me in the locker room that she was jealous that I looked like was gliding and that she did not look I do when she swims.  It’s all relative, I guess.  :)

I’m thinking about taking the “masters” class at the pool that they started offering, but it is at weird times and I’m nervous!  I know some people watch me when I swim (I watch other people too), but I don’t want people to think that I think that I’m a swimmer because I don’t!  I probably just need to get over it, and just do it!  It’s probably just like spin class except people will pass you if you are going too slow and maybe make fun of you after class?  Okay, okay, I need to stop thinking about the negative.  The main point here is that in order to get better at swimming, I really need to start going and getting out of my comfort zone.  I have really improved my form since I started training for triathlons, and I’m looking forward to improving even more.  I don’t like being critiqued, but you don’t know what you don’t know, right?  It is my worst sport (and also the scariest), and I need to fix that!  So, after I get back from my 3 week trip to the states, I will be trying that class out!

Getting to the trip: I will be in St. Pete, FL from this weekend to the 8th of March, then to Albuquerque, NM ‘till the 18th, and then to Baltimore for FitBloggin’ until the 22nd!  I’m so looking forward to going to the states!  You have no idea!  If any of you want to catch up or have lunch in those locations, shoot me an email!  I would love to meet you!

Oh, and by the way, I got to talk to the hubby on Saturday night (he is deployed right now if you are new to the blog).  I was so depressed over how my 18-miler went earlier that day, and he reminded me that I had pneumonia, and I am just getting over it!  He also said that I need to cut myself some slack!  I agree!!  ;)  That is why I love that man! hehe

I know this was a totally rambling post, but my brain is little fried from school and computer issues, and it is only Tuesday!  I am so looking forward to the beach next week!

How is everyone’s week going?

Have you ever done something out of your comfort zone and gotten positive results from it?

Are you Mac or PC?

• Estela @ Weekly Bite February 23, 2010, 9:05 pm

I’m so glad you got to talk to your hubby!

I have a MAC. I converted 3 years ago and love it! If I had a PC for this long it would be trashed already.

• Nicole February 23, 2010, 9:30 pm

That is what my husband said! He said that he would have taken a baseball bat to our PC laptop a year ago, and that I was a trooper for hanging on as long as I have!

• Jessica @ How Sweet February 23, 2010, 9:05 pm

I can’t wait to meet you at Fitbloggin!!! 🙂

• Nicole February 23, 2010, 9:28 pm

I’m excited too!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) February 23, 2010, 9:13 pm

I don’t think you should have to apologize for giving your real life the much-deserved priority!! I think it’s super important to remember to focus on your priorities, your own life. I use a Mac at work and PC at home. I have to say that there are so many pros/cons of both. For my work, Mac is ideal b/c I do web-related work and need the super high-speed capabilities associated with Adobe, Photoshop, etc. I have those on the PC and they just DRAG. However, I don’t seem to have the odd glitches with Firefox on the PC.

• Samantha February 23, 2010, 9:39 pm

Definitely love macs, just can’t afford them. Once I get out of college and get an actual job, I will definitely switch over to mac. 🙂

• Tracey @ Tropicalhappiness.com February 23, 2010, 9:48 pm

I’m definitely a mac girl. Even though you haven’t used a mac, once you start playing around with it, it will come easy. Macs are very intuitive. The hardes part is realizing that the “close” and “minimize” buttons are on the top left of the window, instead of the top right. And there are tons of easy shortcuts (like double clicking on the top bar of a window to minimize it, instead of clicking the minimize button) that make macs so user friendly.

Congrats on pushing through your 18 miler the other day. I am just catching up on posts. GREAT JOB!!!!!!!

• Ben February 23, 2010, 9:49 pm

PC all the way. I’ve dabbled in the mac world for awhile but nothing has compared to my Sony Vaio. Sorry yours didn’t work out as well. Enjoy St. Pete. I love the area and several of my favorite restuarant are there!

• Megan @ Healthy Hoggin February 23, 2010, 10:44 pm

Oh, you will not regret buying a mac! Best decision I ever made. Of course, I’m an illustrator, so I couldn’t live without one! But they are the most user-friendly computers on the planet! (once you get over the PC habits…)

Now, just using a PC makes me cringe! 😉

Good luck with all your travel!!

• Mike February 23, 2010, 10:53 pm

He is right — focus on what you CAN do now that you are better. When I feel off in the pool I just slow down a little. I usually can hold a 1:40/100 for about forever, but when I am not feeling it on the night I will slow it down to a 1:45/100. I know it sounds minor, but it has helped me get through some big sets. Try it…

• Abby February 24, 2010, 12:08 am

I’m so excited you’ll be at fitbloggin!!!

I have a PC, but that’s because I don’t want to spend the money on a Mac but I have heard very good things! My brother has about 3 🙂

• melissa February 24, 2010, 2:43 am

MAC for sure. I love mine and my friend got me to buy it and I have never looked back. I love it. One prob is the area where you close it on either side of the mouse pad area can get tiny cracks in it. I have three friends with them and realized one day that we have identical cracks in our mac books. My friend told me it was a design flaw that mac wont admit. I think it is fixed now. It has never been a worry for me. I do have tape on either side of my computer though…but I still love it and dont really care.

Enjoy it!

• Dorothy February 24, 2010, 3:19 am

Whenever I feel like I’m looking at people at my gym and criticizing, I try to turn it around and think, “Wow, good for them for being here!!” It makes me smile! I just pretend that everyone has this same outlook so I don’t worry about what others are thinking of my abilities.

• Tiffany February 24, 2010, 4:00 am

I’m a PC who desperately wants to be a MAC. Oy…

So I started swimming with my local Masters not too long ago. It’s been about fifteen years since I swam with others, so I was very nervous at first. You just have to literally jump in and go! You don’t have to worry about pushing yourself (which I always struggled with in the pool), since you’ll be silently encouraged to keep up with those in your lane. I say try it out a few times! No one is going to make fun of you, psh.

And I have to say that I literally used two of those songs recently in my spin classes, hah! I put together a Valentine’s playlist last week; my class LOVED it!

• Gelareh @ Nutritious Foodie February 24, 2010, 7:11 pm

I have a PC, we looked at MAC last year when we were looking for a lap top replacement and still considered PC.

I will be at Fitbloggin as well and look forward to meeting you.

• Holly February 24, 2010, 9:07 pm

YOU WILL NOT REGRET BUYING A MAC. i broke down and bought one in august and have not looked back.

yay for fitbloggin! that will be fun. unfortunately, i don’t think i can make it, so we will just have to find somewhere else fun to meet up 🙂

• LindsayRuns February 24, 2010, 10:13 pm

100% mac, I love mine. Good job again getting out there! just wait miss competitive, you’ll get your game back! 🙂

• Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather February 24, 2010, 11:19 pm

I’ve always had a PC but now we have a mixed household since my hubby is a Mac guy. Swimming is definately not my strong suit either!

• caitlin February 25, 2010, 3:35 pm

take the swim class! form is SOOOO important (as i learned) and it can really help you to get instruction!

i am a ‘whatever connects me to the internet’ LOL

• Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com February 25, 2010, 4:50 pm

Wow, you should really be so proud of yourself! Sounds like you really are passionate about your running and swimming. I’m inspired!
    I am a PC. Only because Macs are too expensive.

• Graze With Me February 25, 2010, 4:58 pm

I nominated you for an award – check out my latest post!

• Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYear February 25, 2010, 5:14 pm

I will be at FitBloggin’ too! So happy to have found another new blog! I converted to a Mac in November and I will never go back – they are fabulous!! Congrats on the purchase!!

• Amy February 26, 2010, 2:15 am

I’m so glad I found your site through Caitlin’s at Healthy Tipping Point. I’ve only read this entry so far and will catch up later today on the rest of your blog. My husband is also military – we’re currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan. Before this we were at Mildenhall, England. We had friends at Spangdahlem – I loved Germany! How long will your husband be deployed for? I hope you’ve got a good spouse network there.

Another coincidence, I also got my Master’s from UF – fisheries back in 2001. I’m not exactly using that degree right now, but love our chances to live in so many great places.

In regards to swimming, about 8 months ago I started swimming on a Master’s team on one of the bases. I was terrified! I hadn’t swum “seriously” since I was 11 and was on the YMCA team. My team has 3 levels – red, white, and blue. I swam on the lowest team (red) until about 2 weeks ago. I’ve recently started swimming with the white group. There was no judging even when I first started. Go for it! You can do it!

Amy

• Tea February 26, 2010, 3:15 am

Just stopping by to say hello. I completely understand “life taking priority over blogging”.

I’m a pc, but I’m not happy about it.

• Jason March 9, 2010, 11:28 pm

Mac. I’d guess that you’re happy with the mac judging by the lack of questions thus far. They just work. No viruses, no odd crashes or senseless error messages, clear update process, usable system help and preferences. They crash but when they do, they crash well. Congrats!