Meat Market – Geek Turned Athlete

Meat Market

image

I went on an awesome, muddy, slushy weird 5 mile run today.  It was supposed to be a tempo run, but doctor’s orders this week called for no speed work since my lungs are still trying to heal from last week.  This ended up being just fine because I felt great the first 3 miles, and then all of the sudden, my legs felt like they were filled with cement and I was out of energy.  By mile 4, I stopped to stretch and realized that I was shaking.  It took everything in me to get myself home.  I have no idea what was going on with the shaking as I ate lunch about an hour before I left the house.  When I got home, I ate some Greek yogurt and a banana.  I felt a lot better!

Then, I had to teach spin a few hours later.  I was really nervous b/c I haven’t taught or been to spin for about 2 weeks, but it actually went really well.  I pushed it hard, and I loved every second of it.  My legs felt like jello afterwards, but I had to get my leg workout in since I was trying to burn a cd for 3 hours before spin (bad computer issues that I will get into later).  I normally try to avoid weight lifting between the hours of 5pm and 8pm because my gym turns into a meat market, but like I said, I didn’t have a choice.

Oh, and I forgot to mention when I first posted this that I made a guy puke in my spin class.  I don’t want this to scare any of you out of taking one, but he was new and just pushed himself way too hard!  I don’t blame him though, I almost puke in class sometimes!

As I walked downstairs from the spin room, I peaked inside the weight lifting room to see how busy it was in there.  Yep, completely full of men.  Absolutely, no women.  Great.  I set down my bag outside the room, and took a deep breath and stepped inside.  I could immediately sense about 20 pairs of eyes on me.  I walked straight to the first piece of equipment with my head up and avoided making eye contact.  Focus, head towards the machine!  I HATE going to the gym when it is like that.  For some reason, I have anxiety dealing with that much testosterone I guess.  I hate how they stare!  I don’t stare when I workout, and I don’t see why they have too.  And there is a lot of grunting.  It is so weird.  I looked up at one point during the workout, and noticed this guy staring at me, and he didn’t look away once I looked at him.  He just kept staring!  I prefer going to that area of the gym early in the morning when the starers are still in bed.  Anyway, I finished my workout with continual staring, and felt great about it (not the staring)!

My new weight lifting program is working out very well so far.  I have been sore since last night, and I think it will continue for a while.  It is a good thing though!  I got it from Oxygen Magazine.  I will start out with 12 reps/3 sets of each exercise doing each group of exercises once a week for the first two weeks.  I’m supposed to bump it up to 2x for each group/week for the next two weeks after that, but we shall see what my workout schedule allows.  Here it is:

Push: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps

• Barbell bench press
  • Box-assisted parallel dip
  • Seated body bar military press
  • Seated bent-over dumbbell lateral raise
  • Cambered-bar triceps pressdown
  • flat bench EZ-bar skull crusher

Lower Body: Quads, Hamstrings, Glutes, Calves

• Leg press
  • Barbell lunge
  • Stiff-legged barbell deadlift (THIS ONE is hard.  I have to pay attention to my form on this one the most.  It is very easy to not do this move correctly.)
  • Stability-ball hamstring curl
  • Seated calf raise (focuses on soleus)
  • Standing calf raise (focuses on gastrocnemius)

Pull: Back, Biceps, Abs

• Wide-grip pulldown
  • One-arm seated row
  • Cambered-bar cable curl
  • EZ-bar curl
  • Reverse crunch on an incline bench

Now, I’m doing more abs than that one exercise, so don’t freak out.  I know this sounds crazy, but I feel like ever since I got back on the healthy eating wagon last week and doing my new ab/weight lifting that I’m already feeling a difference.  It is most likely mental, but body confidence can do wonders for how you hold yourself, you know?

I’m looking forward to my 3 mile run tomorrow and swim!  Then, the big 18 miler on Saturday!

Do you weight lift or do some kind of resistance training? I normally hate it, but this time around it isn’t too bad. 😉

• Heather (Where's the Beach) February 18, 2010, 9:31 pm

I am the same way about lifting at the gym. I only recently started actively doing so b/c I don’t have heavy enough weights at my house for the rotation I’ve been doing. I just try to put on my music and tune out everyone else. I really started to get in the groove and didn’t even notice other people. So, I guess that answers your weight lifting question. Yep, I lift. I love lifting actually. Don’t get me wrong, love my cardio, but there is something so empowering about lifting weights!

• Graze With Me February 18, 2010, 9:41 pm

Haha, meat market. I’m such a chicken about going to the gym. I’ve never had a membership nor have I even thought about it simply because I can’t handle people staring!! I’ve always been the tall, gangly girl that people seem to like to stare at so I’m pretty much uncomfortable in all situations when I’m alone. That looks so sad when I type it…..

Anyway, I really got into strength training a few months before my wedding and it worked wonders! Since my wedding day last May I’ve actually put on a few more lbs of muscle & I love it!

• genesis February 18, 2010, 10:14 pm

i despise that about our weight room too. there is one particular guy who hisses when he lifts and its REALLY loud, like i can hear him even with my music on. its really disturbing. what also drives me nuts is when they drop the weights from a high vantage point. i just dont get it.

• Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) February 18, 2010, 10:46 pm

I hate the starers too. When I do lift weights, I like to do it first thing in the morning. Lately though, I’ve been really liking Body Pump classes for some strength training!

• Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather February 18, 2010, 10:48 pm

Gosh that would be awkward having all the stares even when you look back!

I try to strength train 3x per week and so far have been doing real well with that. I used to hate strength training, I think because I didn’t always know what I was doing but now that i’m much much more knowledgable and exercise at home I love it!

• Michelle@Eatingjourney February 19, 2010, 1:27 am

I love strength training, it’s honestly one of my most favourite things in the world to do. I feel so empowered after I do it.

• 'Drea February 19, 2010, 3:10 am

Is it wrong that I like it when people make primitive sounds? As long as they don’t get too out of hand with the grunting and such…

• Alison February 19, 2010, 3:38 am

I love lifting weights, but hate the stares. I actually left my old gym which was a giant meat market and now I attend the family-friendly YMCA. It’s SO much better – people are a lot more respectful. And my hubby and I play racquetball together there, which is such a blast!

• Dave February 19, 2010, 1:15 pm

I just started lifting weights at my grad school instead of a gym. Oh boy! Talking about meat heads. It seems the meat head crowd is concentrated in the 18-25 range. Sure maybe I can do a 200 lb lat pull down too, if my entire body is moving like yours. Ha!

You’ve got a cool set of exercises. I might steal a couple to use. Do you ever use a rope for tricep pulldown? I’ve never tried it with a cambered bar.

• Nicole February 19, 2010, 1:47 pm

Yes, I’ve used it before. It is very effective with the rope too. You are so right about the age range concentration. I never see any older gentlemen in there showing off. :)

• Diana February 19, 2010, 1:57 pm

I do weights at my gym. Thankfully we don’t have too many muscle heads! Just one or two, but they mostly keep to themselves. I find women stare more in the environment I’m in….I try to just focus on my workout and not let anyone bother me. Plus I’m usually there chatting with a girlfriend so that helps alot!

• Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me February 19, 2010, 4:49 pm

gah I hate that too! I basically avoid that section of the gym at all costs. There’s a man area and another area where women go to lift. It’s sad I know.

• Andy M. February 19, 2010, 8:01 pm

I see men looking at women from time to time (and occasionally women looking at men 😉 at my gym, but there are so many women at my gym that weight lift, that I don’t think it is that big of a problem. Usually it ends up as the man/woman is checking the other person out. My problem is that I love to people watch anyways, so I have to make sure I don’t look like I am staring when I glance around. I used to work at the Atlanta airport and I would just go take my break and sit on the concourse and watch people.

As for weight training, I was in the best shape (physcially) three times in my life, 2001 with weight training, 2007 with my busy sprint tri schedule, and 2009 with my ironman… when I was involved with my weight training, I focused more on lowering body fat and definition than trying to lift a gagillion pounds.

• Laura Georgina February 19, 2010, 8:33 pm

I’d love to do more weight/resistance training, but I don’t have a gym membership (and the work gym, which is the closest to a good gym you can get outside Port of Spain, is basically a cute sunny room that is ALWAYS full of students–sweet, but not my scene and don’t have the time to waaaait).

Ah, the mangrunts…. My old gym in Montreal actually had signs everywhere that said “No grunting, please”–guess it must have been terrible before the signs went up? (It also had notices about not sitting naked on dressing room benches, so obviously its pretty clientele was a bit uncouth!)

• Nicole February 19, 2010, 9:04 pm

haha. That naked sitting on benches thing happens a lot at my gym. It really grosses me out!

• Rose February 23, 2010, 11:09 pm

Hah! I’m doing the same workout from Oxygen! The push/pull/squat breakdown is one of my favorites. It gives well rounded results and allows ample time for recovery! Thanks for being a mid-day inspiration :)