Respecting Your Body – Geek Turned Athlete

Respecting Your Body

DSC05664 Before we get on to the “meat” of this post I want to share my breakfast from this morning.  I know that it isn’t Foodie Friday, but it truly was gorgeous and tasty!

Peanut Butter Apple Pie Oats

• 1/3 oats
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp flax seed
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 apple, chopped
  • 1 tbsp pb

While oatmeal (oats, milk, water) is cooking, dice an apple and throw it in a pan on medium heat.  Add brown sugar and cinnamon to apples, and stream in water to make the sauce.  Add a little bit at a time!  When oatmeal is done, add mashed banana and flax seed.  Drizzle with pb and top with apples!  Honestly, this took me 7 minutes to make.  Don’t make that excuse that you don’t have time to make a hot breakfast in the morning.  If you have time to eat a bowl of cereal, you can set your alarm clock for 5 minutes earlier to make this!DSC05665

On to the realization that I had last night.  Let me start from the beginning.  As you all know, last Wednesday I woke up with a sore throat and a fever.  I got into the doctor’s on Thursday where he told me that I might have pneumonia, but he couldn’t give me antibiotics if I had only been feeling sick for 30 hours.  He wanted to wait until it “progressed” a little.  Although I’m sure he gets a lot of people who go into the doctor for every little cough they have, I’m not one of those.  He could have been able to tell that from the fact that I haven’t had antibiotics before this for over a year.  I don’t like going to the doctor and exposing myself to the more than average diseases lurking around every corner there.

I carried on with my busy schedule after that, and did not rest.  My excuse was that I was too busy!  The hubby and I were writing back and forth via email on Friday night, and he was worried about my symptoms of not being able to breath well and wheezing.  And not to mention, hacking up dark yellow mucus from my lungs.  Sorry to be graphic, but those were my symptoms!  Since my hubby works part of the time at the hospital here as part of his job, he threatened to call his buddies and have them pick me up and take me there.  I said that I was fine and for him not worry.

Well Saturday, I woke up and still felt like there was an elephant sitting on my chest.  Something just wasn’t right.  I thought, okay, fine, I’ll go to the emergency room.  So, I drove my ass to the emergency room, and of course got my truck searched by armed guards before going in.  I swear, I always get searched before going on that specific base over here.  I think they think I look like a terrorist or something.  And I know that it is not just my truck.  They let other trucks drive on without being searched.  Anyway, I wasn’t happy about that, but was sort of expecting it.  Fast forward 3 hours later (which by the way was a lot shorter than I was expecting), I was on my way home with a diagnosis of walking pneumonia and 6 prescriptions including an inhaler and antibiotics.  The doc said that he didn’t want me to do anything at all for the next few days.  But have I been resting?  No, not really.

I worked on a paper and studying for a test all weekend including all day yesterday.  I also finished our taxes, and picked up our office a little.  I kept thinking that since I wasn’t working out that I could get a bunch of stuff done, and that I was indeed resting if I wasn’t working out, right?  WRONG!!!  I only feel 5% better at this point, and it is completely my fault.  I haven’t been getting enough rest this weekend because of I keep telling myself that I’m too busy.  The truth is: Although I did need to finish my paper and take my exam, I didn’t have to rearrange my entire office (huffing and puffing the entire time b/c of my lungs), finish my taxes, or attempt to clean multiple things in my house.  This all came to me last night as I was trying to get ahead in reading for one of my classes well past midnight.  I was exhausted.  It finally hit me that I still feel like crap, and I’m not really resting!

I guess my family and friends know me all to well too b/c they were all threatening me into staying in bed on facebook when they found out that I had pneumonia.  I may have been in bed, but I was working on school or rearranging my jewelry collection or organizing something else.

So, for the first time since before the hubs got deployed I didn’t set my alarm for 5:30 or 6:30am last night.  I was actually going to sleep in!  Gasp!  Of course, I forgot about the second alarm that I have set on my watch to make sure that I got up at those times.  So, besides that thing going off, I slept until 9:30am this morning!  Let me just preface this by saying that my idea of sleeping in is 7:30am on the weekends.  It drives the hubby crazy, but I hate sleeping in!  I feel like I’m wasting the day.  Obviously, if my body needs it, I’m not wasting the day.  I woke feeling well rested this morning, and it was wonderful.  Do I still feel sick?  Yes, but I at least I’m not fighting to keep my eyelids from closing all day long like I have been doing over the past few days.  And there is finally some color back in my face.  I have honestly looked like a dead person the past few days.

I know that healthy people get sick, but I feel like I’m partly the blame for getting pneumonia.  Let’s be honest:

• I have been working out like a crazy person.  I have been picking up classes at the gym to teach a lot lately which are not conducive to my marathon training.  I have a problem saying NO!
  • I haven’t been eating that healthy lately.  I have partly been using the excuse that I workout so much that I can eat anything I want in the portions that I want.  I have blood sugar problems, and the recent uptakes in sweets have not been good for me at all.  I have been eating a lot of mac and cheese and less greens.  It is my comfort food, what can I say?  So, in other words, I haven’t been fueling my body with the nutrients to keep up with the workouts like I should be!
  • I have been scheduling my entire day.  Literally, I will go on Google calendar, and schedule my entire day away from 5:30 in the morning until 10pm.  I don’t have anytime to just sit, and be present.  I only watch TV twice a week (Biggest Loser and The Bachelor).  Maybe, subconsciously, I want to fill up my day to forget about the fact that the hubby is deployed, but this is just crazy!

I really think that if I continue at this rate, I will run myself into the ground and get sick more and more.  I have not been good to myself lately, and trust me, I’ve had the time to think about this today!  I need to start respecting myself again because it seems like I have forgotten about that in the past month and a half.  So, here are my goals to get back on the healthy horse so to speak:

• EAT TO FUEL.  I normally have this philosophy when it comes to eating, but I’m not perfect and need to be reminded from time to time.  If getting pneumonia isn’t a wake up call about eating healthily, I don’t know what is!
  • I need to start saying NO more often in general.  I need to start saying no to all the spin classes that I have been subbing!  I have the fault that I am too nice sometimes, but in reality, I’m not being very nice to myself.
  • I need more time to relax!  When Steve was here, we would have at least one veg day a month in that we would just cuddle and watch movies or TV for the entire day.  Obviously, I don’t think these are good all the time, but it really left me mentally fresh for the next month or two weeks ahead!  This also includes getting more sleep!!!

I have a couple more days of bed rest on the agenda, but I will actually be resting on these days!  I am going to London this weekend, and it is a great incentive to take it easy!

Are you taking care of your body like you should be?  Are you respecting yourself?

• Erica February 9, 2010, 3:10 pm

ugh! Good for you chicky! You need to slow down with pneumonia- it is totally exhausting (it was more exhausting for me than mono was). Healthy eats, lots of liquids and rest! Hope you feel even better

• Nicole February 9, 2010, 3:17 pm

Thanks, I know! My doctor friends had to remind me that people die from pneumonia! I shouldn’t be taking the diagnosis so lightly!

• LindsayRuns February 9, 2010, 4:12 pm

People die all the time from that, you need to slow way down! Take a bubble bath in that nice tub you showed us the other day. Tell the gym you have pneumonia…they won’t want you, and then you won’t be tempted to say yes. You have to get well so hubby doesn’t worry, if anything make yourself slow down so he worries less and can concentrate on his work and come home safely to you!

Maybe read books if you need something to do? Feel better!

• Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) February 9, 2010, 4:29 pm

I’m glad you’re realizing you need to slow down! Take it easy for a few days!

I really like your healthy goals – especially that they include relax/tv time – I think thats so important!

• Amanda February 9, 2010, 4:30 pm

Definitely REST UP! So you can recover and get better. When I’m training 15-20 hours a week, I always schedule in (yeah, sometimes even sleep has to be scheduled in :)) at least 8 hours of sleep a night.

Saying “no” can be difficult. I feel ya there….but do what you have to do to keep yourself healthy or you won’t be well enough to say “yes” when you really want to.

Thanks for the breakfast idea. Looks amazing!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) February 9, 2010, 5:05 pm

I do try to eat to fuel, but do have a tendency to go way overboard with doing too much all the time. I can’t ever just sit and relax. To me relaxing is equated with doing something, like cooking or exercising. I feel guilty if I just sit and do nothing. Sometimes it’s OK though right? Take care & I hope you’re feeling better!

• Charisa February 9, 2010, 5:20 pm

Definitely good you realize you need time for you and time to relax and just “be”. It’s hard – I’m the same way in that I like to fill up the calendar and fit lots of fun stuff in :) Hope you feel better soon.

• marit c-l February 9, 2010, 6:15 pm

YES – so glad that you took the time to figure out a few things about yourself. When I taught fitness classes, I always had a hard time saying no – it IS difficult. But you’re right… you need to respect yourself enough to tell people that you just can’t do it! Keep resting up – its hard to do when all you want to do is GO GO GO (and when the hubby is deployed, I fall into the same pattern as you) – but the more you rest now, the sooner you’ll feel better!

Hugs to you!!

• Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me February 9, 2010, 6:41 pm

omg be careful with yourself! Sounds like you’re pushing yourself just a little too hard. You must take some time for yourself everyday. It’s so important. I definitely understand wanting to be busy but there’s always going to be things to do. If you take a half hour for yourself, it won’t kill you. Feel better soon!

• Holly February 9, 2010, 7:01 pm

girl, you need to take care of yourself! crawl in bed – browse facebook, blogs, anything. sleep. drink water. and FEEL BETTER! sending lots of healthy vibes your way.

anndddd….you know i am excited about that london recap!

annndddd….those oats look divine – one of my fave combos!

love ya!

• Jacquie February 9, 2010, 7:29 pm

I hope you feel better soon love! I know it sometimes feels unproductive, but you don’t want to get worse. I missed yoga yesterday because I felt so weighted down and tired and while I didn’t like it, I needed that extra rest. You deserve it too :)

I feel like you’re a girl after my own heart because as I wrote this I had to laugh. One because my recent oatmeal obsession is my oat mix with sauteed apples on top a little peanut butter- sound familiar? And two because I was going to write a similar post about taking care. Maybe I’ll just wait for tomorrow- hehe!

• Megan @ Healthy Hoggin February 9, 2010, 8:03 pm

Just found your blog! Oh, I can relate! I am training for a marathon, too, and have not been taking care of myself the way I should! I just found out my husband is going to be in Europe for the next month and a half, so we’ve been eating loads of “comfort food!” I’m determined to get back on track, too. :)

I’m glad you’re going to take some time to recover! Hope you feel better soon!!

• 'Drea February 9, 2010, 8:19 pm

Needless to say, I hope that you will feel much better soon.

It’s cute that you have a back-up alarm clock.

I’ve recently decided to take care of myself by thinking about myself even more i.e. saying no.

• Nutritious Foodie February 9, 2010, 8:46 pm

Sorry to hear you are still not feeling 100%. I haven’t been respecting my body for the last week or so… I have been working it hard and not taking care of it.. hence the dehydration

• Krissy February 10, 2010, 12:03 am

Girlfriend! I’m exhausted just reading what you have been up to (and to top it off you have pneumonia!!!). You poor thing – you need to take a day to just RELAX :)
    I hope you feel better soon sweets – I’m sending healing vibes your way!! xoxo

• Nicole February 10, 2010, 5:21 am

Hi Nicole :) Please take care of yourself and rest up. You are doing too much!!!

That oatmeal looks so yummy. I am going to try it tomorrow.

Stay Strong :)

• Alison February 10, 2010, 10:23 pm

Hi Nicole – I’m glad you stopped running around so much! It’s the hardest thing ever saying no, I have to rehearse it sometimes. I find it easier to say “I’ll think about it” to whatever request comes my way and then I decide in a sane moment if it’s really something I can do :)

Having time to just be “present”, like you said, is such a gift.

• Tea February 11, 2010, 3:41 pm

OMG….I really feel for you.

I hope you find it in yourself to live up to your words of wisdom and rest a bit more. Unfortunately, we all have times like that so don’t beat yourself up.

I hope you feel better soon. That’s a horrible, yucky thing to have. :)