20 Miles of Pukey Birthday Fun – Geek Turned Athlete

20 Miles of Pukey Birthday Fun

Well, yesterday was full of ups and downs! I was feeling a little better when I woke up yesterday morning from the past week, and proceeded to eat my normal long run breakfast of custard oatmeal with a banana and pb. My friend, Katie, stopped by and gave me a huge hug for my birthday which I had forgotten about. Then, we started off on our run! Katie was supposed to run about 14 miles with me (she already did her long run last weekend), then it was just going to be me for the last 6.

We started up this hill. I loathe this hill. It is steep, and it actually keeps going past where it looks like it crests in this picture. It was at this hill that I mentioned that I was not feeling very well. However, about half the time I do actually feel nauseous on this hill and nothing ever happens, so I didn’t really think anything of it. Katie mentioned that she wasn’t feeling too hot either, and we laughed about it.

About a mile and a half in, Katie decided to go run off without me. This is absolutely no big deal to me. She is a lot faster than me, and I was not offended. I actually wanted to slow down as I knew I still had 3 hours ahead of me. I just felt tired. My stomach was a mess and more than normal. All of the sudden, I had to stop. I started dry heaving which after about 2 minutes of that turned into actually puking. I looked down at the ground at my half digested breakfast, and all I saw were calories that I desperately needed in my body at that moment.

At the time of the puking, Katie had turned around because I wasn’t behind her and was running back. All she said that she could see was me bent over heaving. haha. I don’t know why I find that so funny. Anyway, she asked if I was okay, and started to walk with me. I let her know that I was fine, and she needed to just go on without me. I don’t like ruining other people’s runs! I told her I was going to walk for a while.

So, that is what I did. I told myself that I was going to walk for 1/4 of a mile and see how I felt at that point. A quarter of a mile came, and at that time I decided to run. SLOWLY. My stomach was still very angry at me for some reason, and I was still trying not to piss it off anymore. I pleaded with it: Please lets just finish 6 more miles. I’ll be happy with 8, and we can do 20 some other time this week, okay? We will take it slow.

The stomach was hardly convinced, but after another dry heaving episode 2 more miles in, it seemed to at least tolerate my running.

I lost track of Katie, and pretty much gave up on trying to catch up with her. I was worried about her since she wasn’t familiar with the trails around my house, but they all led to a village of some sort, so I knew she wouldn’t die or not be able to find help if something did go wrong. These trails are pretty busy with the locals as well.

At mile 8, my stomach was somewhat okay. Well, I’m already practically half way done, I should just finish. If I was at my Paris Marathon in two weeks and something like this happened, I wouldn’t just quit. So, I didn’t. I ran on. Even when it started raining and sprinkling on and off. I knew that I needed some nutrition for the next few miles especially because my breakfast was now gone. I tried out a Clif Blok. After a few minutes, i reassessed. Am I going to puke? No. Okay. Good, now I know I can have these for the rest of the run.

The snails and the worms were out in full force because of the rain.

On mile 13 of my run, an old German guy ran up next to me, and asked me the time. I told him, and we started chatting for a little bit with my extremely broken German and his much better English. After a few minutes, I broke off from the trail we were on, and headed home for a quick potty break.

After just 5 minutes of not running, I wanted to stop. I mean, it was a needed potty break, but my legs stiffened up immediately, and it took all of my will power not to take my wet clothes off, jump in the shower, and put on my sweats. I reluctantly headed out the door.

About 2 miles in after leaving my house, I ran into the old German guy again (he was probably in his early 60’s). He told me that he competes in an event where he runs for a while, then he shoots a target. I cannot for the life of me, remember what it is called, but I do know that they also have it with cross country skiing. He kept up with me for 2 miles, and then we had to go our separate directions. He stopped after I turned off to catch his breath. He fully admitted that he was trying hard to keep up with me. I just kept thinking, “What a badass! I hope I’m like that when I’m 60!”.

After we turned off and went our separate ways, I realized that my feet and my knees were aching!! Thank goodness no one was around at that point because I whimpered a few times going up a hill. I was in so much pain! I haven’t foam rolled in a month since I was in the states, and it is apparent that I need to get back to that! I got home, finally, exhausted, but happy that I stuck it out. With every hard run that I do, I know that I am getting stronger mentally and physically. I know that I am growing as a person because I am able to push past my comfort zone and not just stop when things get hairy and tough!

I have no clue why I puked.  Trust me, I’m not preggers.  My husband has been gone for quite a while at this point.  The nausea is gone for now. :)

After my run, I had just enough time to stretch, shower, and throw some enchiladas in the oven for some Easter egg coloring and birthday party time!

I took my new camera that I got a month ago to play with. I’ve been scared to pick it up and use it! These are not eggs that the children worked on, by the way. These eggs are from Prague. Intricately decorated eggs are a big deal in Europe this time of year, and they are expensive!

Champagne was flowing…

As well as fine French and Italian wine…

Along with good conversation…

Laughter…

And the kiddies were having a great time coloring eggs and looking adorable!

DSC06388.jpg

I could not stop eating all afternoon!!! I had the 20 miler induced tape worm.

Then, Suzanna presented me with a homemade birthday cake. I was completely surprised!! I thought it was a casual thing!

I really have awesome friends over here! I am so lucky that they take care of me especially when my hubby is deployed. It has really made this deployment go by fast so far!

The kids did not even care who’s birthday it was. They just wanted cake! It was cracking me up! Sigh, to be a kid again!

Katie got me purple napkins from IKEA. She is a napkin freak, and I love purple. So, we were both happy! And it matched Suzanna’s outfit! Yes, this is probably a lot more amusing after a few glasses of champagne or wine. 😉

The aftermath…

Then, I got bored and started taking pictures after almost everyone left…

Katie’s village…

After some dishwashing and picking up, we settled down and watched The Hangover. Then, I headed home to call my fam for my birthday since it is cheaper for me to call them from Germany. It ended up being an absolutely wonderful birthday minus, of course, the fact that my husband wasn’t there.

I also was so happy to get home and receive all the birthday wishes on facebook and twitter. Thank you! It was sort of depressing to come home to no one, but it certainly lifted my mood when I opened up my tweet deck and facebook to find a bunch of Happy B-day tweets and messages!

If you have been following me on twitter, you may have noticed that I decided to participate in the Tour de Flanders for cycling tourists (novices, not Pro cyclists) for this Saturday in Brussels, Belgium. My group and I have decided on the 75K which is about 47 miles. I’m a bit nervous for this since none of us have been on our road bikes since last year, and I haven’t been on anything resembling a bike (indoor cycling) for about a month. I’m still looking forward to it. Europeans are really into cycling, and it is always a good time with beer and sandwiches along the way!

It is the start of a new week. You have a clean slate now. Use it!

• Jessica @ How Sweet March 29, 2010, 12:49 pm

I still can’t get over the scenery you have there! Not gonna lie, that snail kinda freaks me out…LOL! Looks like a fun party. :)

• Erica March 29, 2010, 1:48 pm

oh my gosh girl! First off- happy belated birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a celebration you had with your friends. Looks like a blast. I cannot believe you pushed through that run after tossing your cookies! I would have tried to do the same thing though 😉 You are amazing. Your photos are just incredible. Really makes me want to visit. My family is almost full blooded german. My grandparents moved over here before my Dad was born and I have always wanted to go.

• AshleyP March 29, 2010, 2:16 pm

Happy belated birthday! It looks like a great party :)

Those eggs are absolutely gorgeous, and I love that you’re representing UF! Go Gators!!!

• Nicole March 29, 2010, 2:53 pm

Haha. I mainly wear it to piss my seminoles hubby off!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) March 29, 2010, 2:29 pm

Girl – you have some major dedication to keep on going like that. I’m really thinking I would have opted for the warm shower at the potty break. Glad you got over whatever it was that was causing you to get sick. Looks like you had an awesome birthday after all at least!

• Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) March 29, 2010, 3:32 pm

Happy Birthday! Great job on pushing through the run – hope the nausea doesn’t return!

• Estela @ Weekly Bite March 29, 2010, 4:01 pm

Happy belated birthday!!! I’m so glad you had fun :)

• Jess March 29, 2010, 4:59 pm

I can’t believe you managed to finish the 20 miler after puking. Awesome, awesome job! Hope you are feeling better and happy belated birthday!

• Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me March 29, 2010, 6:34 pm

You are a trooper! If I started puking I would be down for the day!

• Mom March 29, 2010, 6:41 pm

Nicole,

Wish you could have been with your fam to celebrate your birthday, but it sounds like your birthday turned out great–your friends are so supportive!

Good luck on your Tour de Flanders race!

Love,
    Mom

• Nicole March 31, 2010, 2:06 pm

I wish I could have been there with you too, mom! I love you!

• genesis March 29, 2010, 7:48 pm

major props to you for finishing your run. if i saw my breakfast regurgitated on the pavement, I would have called it a day and said See-Ya to my run. lol. too funny about that man trying to keep up with you. sometimes you dont even realize how fast you are compared to other people until someone says something.

happy birthday. your party looked like a blast.

• Samantha March 29, 2010, 8:37 pm

wow everything looks so beautiful!!!

• Jason March 29, 2010, 8:41 pm

Happy Barfday! Good that you toughed out the run. I don’t know if I would have. Good on you!

I’m extremely jealous that you live close to Belgium and can go over to ride the Tour de Flanders or even watch the professionals race the Tour of Flanders or even better, Paris Roubaix. I wish I’d been interested in pro cycling when I was living in the UK. I’ll get back there some day.

Congrats and good luck in your marathon!

• Laura Georgina March 29, 2010, 9:22 pm

Happy belated birthday! So glad that you had a great birthday with lovely friends (which makes all the difference in the world). I love the photo where you get presented with the birthday cake, candids are the best.

BTW, how much better is it to indulge in a bit of run-induced birthday puking rather than alchohol-induced birthday puking? At least, if you puke while running, you’re doing it for a nobler cause :-)

• Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather March 29, 2010, 11:18 pm

Yikes puking is never fun. You are awesome for pushing through it.

When I lived in Holland we rode our bikes everwhere! I wish I rode my bike that much still. I’m glad to say that I rode it into work twice last week :) that ride’s going to be a blast this weekend I bet!

• Alanna March 30, 2010, 12:27 am

Happy Birthday!
    You’ve got a great blog going on here! It looks like you live in a very beautiful part of Germany :)

• Charisa March 30, 2010, 4:05 am

Oh you poor thing – the puking sounds awful! But what awesome pictures you took!!! Thanks for sharing. Happy Birthday too!

• katie March 30, 2010, 6:11 am

happy late birthday girl! and GREAT job w. the run! thats awesome!

• Marisa March 30, 2010, 6:47 am

Nicole, you are awesome for pushing through and finishing that run!! You go girl.

• Blond Duck March 30, 2010, 6:09 pm

Popped in from How Sweet to say hi! A homemade b-day cake–that’s a lot better than throwing up! (Maybe you got too hot/ cold?)

• Gracie March 31, 2010, 3:18 am

OMGOSH!! Girl, you are such a trooper. When I throw up I cry like a baby and lay in bed all day. The fact that you continued running is completely beyond me, and I’m totally inspired :)

• Rebecca @ Durch Dick und Duenn March 31, 2010, 3:44 am

first off, happy belated birthday!!!

ugh… the scenery… so beautiful! you can’t wait to come home and I can’t wait to get back!

• Leana March 31, 2010, 6:13 am

Happy birthday!!!!

Ugh, long run + barfing = no fun. Nice job on getting through that run with the stomach problems.

Best of luck in the Tour de Flanders!

• Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear March 31, 2010, 1:47 pm

I miss Germany every time I see your pics of the villages *sigh* it’s my favourite country in the world and I hope I’ll be back someday :)

Great looking ester eggs, in Germany they’re a HUGE deal, at least where I come from :)

• Anne P March 31, 2010, 2:05 pm

DAMN girl you are hardcore!!! I would totally have started crying and walked home immediately if I were puking, lol.

Also, those pictures make me miss Europe so much!!! Love the rolling green hills and little villages :) Also, YAY Prague eggs!!!!

• Nicole March 31, 2010, 2:07 pm

I thought you would like those! From Praha!

• Caitlin March 31, 2010, 3:56 pm

Nicole the pics from your new camera are amazing!! I seriously scrolled through them several times – I wish you would have gotten it out at FitBloggin’!

You never cease to inspire and amaze me. That training run was full-on proof how much of a badass you are.

I’m so happy you had a wonderful birthday – just think, the next will be in the States! Hooray!!

• Veggielady4life March 31, 2010, 7:57 pm

Your pictures of the countryside are gorgeous!! I spent some time in southern Germany during college… a little south of Munich… in Turkenfeld… and of all the places I’ve been in the world… southern Germany is my favorite. It’s peaceful and gorgeous… and has so many wonderful country roads to run…

My best memories are solo runs… sometimes in the rain!!…. during that trip…

You are very blessed to be able to live there… and enjoy it. I just found your blog today, and I love it. I look forward to following you!!

• stephen April 1, 2010, 7:08 am

Hun,
    Except for the horrific sweat shirt, you look great.
    I love you,