4 Mile Run Fail – Geek Turned Athlete

4 Mile Run Fail

It has been quite a while since I have posted some food on the blog, and I actually have a really good post for Foodie Friday tomorrow, but I thought that I would share my breakfast in all of it’s glory. I was craving pumpkin today like no ones business. I made some standard oats with:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 teaspoon of brown sugar and flax seed
  • topped with 1 1/2 teaspoons of pb mmm.

All in my GreenLiteBites bowl eaten with the beautiful spoon that I got at Fitbloggin‘.

Since flying home to Germany from Baltimore, I have not gotten that much sleep at all. All of this travel has left me exhausted and dehydrated. I always have a problem coming back from the states. My workouts are always a little harder, and I’m a mess for the first week back. However, being that I haven’t run ALL week, I felt the need to get out and run 4 miles this morning!

Per my usual potty break before venturing out, I noticed my urine was dark yellow. This will be an interesting run.

So, I left the house wearing my FitBloggin’ T-shirt that I also was given this past weekend from Thriv with my ipod and garmin turned on and ready to go. (Sidenote: I was actually really impressed with how this shirt held up compared to my synthetic moisture wicking shirts especially b/c it is made from cotton and bamboo. The website claims that it is just as effective at wicking as your usual synthetic clothing brand.)

It felt so good to get outside after being inside like a hermit for the past few days trying to work on school and not pass out from exhaustion.

About 5 minutes into my run, my ipod stopped working. I looked down and found the headphone wires were almost completely severed.

Lovely. Well, I’m not turning around now. Not having music is not a good excuse not to run especially outdoors. Then, my garmin went on the fritz. Neither is not having a working garmin.

So, it was just me and the trails… for a while.

Since the weather has been nice, the insects are procreating making them highly abundant where I run. A few flew into my face as I was running. Hmm, maybe I should close my mouth while I am.. BAM. Right in my mouth. Actually, I started choking on the large insect and had stopped running. Just then, a man with a walker came up on the paved part of the trail. No, I’m NOT kidding. The Germans are highly active people even in their later years. I managed to get out a “Guten Tag!” and he just started laughing. He was probably wondering why I was the one hacking on this trail when he was the old guy walking just fine. Once I got PART of the bug out, I started running again.

Unfortunately, this wasn’t the first time that I had swallowed a bug. Last spring during a bike ride, a huge yellow fat bug flew directly into the back of my throat, and I almost crashed. Nasty. But the ride went on, and so did this run.

Besides feeling tired during the run, it went slowly, and no more bugs were harmed for rest of the time. I was just happy nothing else went wrong. The bug, ipod, garmin, and slowness was enough to handle for this run alone.

I try not to be so hard on myself after I get back from a visit from the states because I know how it affects my body. Once, I tried to run like 2 days after getting back with my husband, and it was bad. Really bad. So, like I said before, I expect that it is going to happen and not beat myself up over it. I need to get over it by this weekend though because I’ve got a 20 miler planned, and it will be a long painful run if I’m not hydrated!

Going back to when I first arrived to my house, I noticed the insects have taken over my house completely! It is amazing what happens to a house when left unlived in for 3 and 1/2 weeks. The Germans don’t believe in bug spray, so the upside is the spiders have been doing their job at killing everything else in the house. The downside: As a result, there are lots of spiders. Oh well, at least they are killing the centipedes. Nasty. And yes, I still have yet to clean it up. I plan on sweeping and mopping tonight, thank goodness.

For the first two days of being back, I lived strictly off of lara bars and a homemade chicken pot pie that I had made before I left to the states for a month. Homework was more important than taking the time to grocery shop unfortunately, and with the hubby gone, it is not like I could of had him shop for me. This is what my fridge looked like upon arrival. And, it was like this until Wednesday afternoon. Nothing but condiments, Bisquick, sun dried tomatoes, butter, beer, and olives. Oh, and some Gluhwein in the back.

Much better. FOOD!!

My fruit bowl was happy. I actually would have gotten more fruit, but if you’ve ever been to a commissary, you would know that the produce selection is less than to be desired. I will actually have to wait a week for these avocados to get soft enough to eat.

Well, that has been my life for the past week. There have been some major changes going on at the gym over here regarding military fitness that have been infuriating me since I’ve been back. Stay tuned for a post on that.

Upcoming workout: 8 mile speedwork run followed by a 1 hour spin class tomorrow plus maybe some weights.

How do you deal with jetlag? It doesn’t even phase my husband!

Got to go! I‘ve got pumpkin chocolate chip cookies waiting for me in the oven.

Oh, and one other note: Notice my new header?!  Cory from Zesty Blog Consulting did a fabulous job on my header!  We must have exchanged around 43 emails to get this baby done.  He was so patient!  I’m so happy!

• Jessica @ How Sweet March 25, 2010, 5:21 pm

You are brave. If I swallowed a bug OR had those bugs in my house, I would freak. I hate bugs! I think your fridge before was in good condition: corona! But where are the limes?

• Nicole March 25, 2010, 5:25 pm

haha. They were all moldy in the crisper drawer. I thought that I would spare you all a pic of those!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) March 25, 2010, 5:26 pm

It seems like all the signs were pointing to NO for a run today. Good for you for pushing on. Ick with the bugs. I’ve never traveled far enough to experience the kind of jet lag you must be going through. I have read some things about eating cherries though – somehow tart cherries are supposed to help. Not joking, you can do a search on it!

• rebecca @ durch dick und duenn March 25, 2010, 5:34 pm

glad you made it back safe and sound!

going to Europe definitely does a number on your body!

• Ashlei March 25, 2010, 5:38 pm

Wow! What a day you had…hopefully the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies turned things around ;)

• Kim March 25, 2010, 6:19 pm

Wow, your fridge is so much cleaner than mine!

With the jetlag, you’ve just got to stay awake until you get to the time you’d normally get to sleep. Taking naps is counter-productive. That’s for easy jetlag though, I’m going to Indonesia in a little under a year and I don’t know how to deal with that one…

• Julie @SavvyEats March 25, 2010, 6:46 pm

That is a rough run, but glad you got it done!

This makes me super-nervous for our honeymoon, because we’ll be biking as soon as we get there… hope the jet-lag isn’t TOO bad! Either way, it will be awesome :)

• Joy R3FitShow March 25, 2010, 7:02 pm

Oh my, I have been seeing lots of pumpkin recipes lately. How cool and unexpected in March.

• Abby March 25, 2010, 7:07 pm

Oh SO gross! EW!! EW EW EW!

• Amanda March 25, 2010, 7:17 pm

Jet lag? I sleep. And walk A LOT! And try to drink lots of water. But international flights are draining. At least you’re aware and accepting of how it affects you.

• Kacy March 25, 2010, 8:32 pm

Ack! I’m so scared of spiders. You’re a brave soul :)

Sorry about the run. You just need some more rest girl!

Yay for the stocked fridge though.

• Graze With Me March 25, 2010, 8:56 pm

Bugs in the mouth and spiders in your house?? I’m never coming to visit….ha! Good for you for pushing through – I always come back a little rough around the edges after a long flight/vacation. Being hydrated is key for travelling for me, but unfortunately (for me and others) I always have to pee every half hour as a result!

• Caitlin March 25, 2010, 10:21 pm

I suppose you’re probably used to it, but the whole bug thing would totally have me throwing up and all over the place. You get 10,000 points for that one lady. And call me sheltered, but I am impressed you have all the same brand names for your food over there. I don’t know how a commissary works – I figured you’d be eating pretzels and spaetzle! (At least that’s what I’d be eating.)

• Nicole March 25, 2010, 10:28 pm

haha. The commissary is the military grocery store on base. It has American and German products. ;)

• Amy March 26, 2010, 12:33 am

Oh, the commissary! I’m pretty sure the one in Japan gets produce leftovers and we have some crazy prices. At certain times of the year a cantaloupe will be $18! On average I spend $7-8 on 5 apples (and I’m trying to opick the smaller ones!) We’ll go weeks without bagged salad and I dream of being able to get orange sweet potatoes. I also dream of products like Greek yogurt and Larabars. :)
    Good job finishing the run. I don’t seem to get jetlag going from the states to here, but going from here to the states is pure torture! I try to get on as much of a normal sleep schedule as possible, but I usually just suffer through the first 7-10 days.
    Have a great weekend, Amy

• Nicole March 26, 2010, 9:29 am

OMG! Although we don’t get regular Oikos or Chobani here, we do get authentic full fat Greek yogurt. Unfortunately, it tastes so good that the previous mentioned greek yogurts taste like poo to me!!! I don’t know what I’m going to do when I get back to the states! Our produce is pretty cheap, but it often molds within 3-4 days or it tastes really weird (ie. grapes).

We don’t get Larabars over here. I had to stock up on those when I went back to the states. ;) I’m now down to 4, and I’ve got to make them last about 2 more months until we leave. I think that I can make it considering up until about 2 weeks ago, I went my whole life without them!

When the weather is better, I will probably make my way back down to the German farmers market on Saturdays where the grapes taste like grapes. The only thing that sucks about that is parking my huge Chev Avalanche truck. It won’t fit in most parking garages here. A lot of small villages have their own, but mine is so small that it doesn’t, and I have to go to the bigger one!

There are markets in Japan aren’t there?

I love hearing about other bases! haha

• Holly March 26, 2010, 6:15 pm

your header looks awesome – i love it!

andddddd…i totally miss pumpkin in my oats. its been awhile since i’ve had it, but pumpkin is now SO expensive. grrrrr. anyways, i have totally had runs like that before where everything goes wrong. tis’ the life of a runner :)

getting back from vacation is always the worst…have a wonderful weekend ms. nicole!

• Pure2raw twins March 26, 2010, 8:58 pm

Pumpkin oats looks amazing :) Yum! And having ipod die on you as happened to us before many times. Not fun! Good job though on finishing your run. Love the new header!

• Christy Batterson March 26, 2010, 9:55 pm

Hi, I stumbled onto your site through a fellow blogger! I love your blog. And just wanted to mention that my hubby and I were stationed at Spangdahlem AB, Germany for five years. We have been gone since 1987 and miss it very much! I had to laugh about the bug story, I remember….

• Anne P March 27, 2010, 5:22 pm

Ugh I SUCK when I’m jet lagged. It totally wipes me out!!