Dear Backwards Hat Guy – Geek Turned Athlete

Dear Backwards Hat Guy

Dear Backwards Hat Guy,

Don’t think that I didn’t notice you looking me up and down when you stepped on the treadmill next to me. I have had a horrible morning with one of my spin classes getting cancelled in Germany, and I really don’t need to be mentally undressed by anyone but my husband right now.

And, I also noticed you checking out my speed on my treadmill screen. You are not going to catch me today. I really needed this speed work to get out some frustrations with stupid people. Don’t even try to get up to my speed because your backwards cap suggests you care more about looking in the mirror and looking emo/preppy than you do getting a serious workout in. Pulllease! And your shoes? You look like you can afford a decent pair of “walking” shoes because that is all you are doing, but you chose to wear designer “workout” shoes that look ridiculous! Don’t even get me started about your tribal tatoo around your arm!

Oh no. You want to start ramping up the treadmill to match me. This could end badly for you. Trust me, I know. Okay, now you are looking over at me amazed/shocked that I’ve been running at the same pace for 4 miles, and you can’t keep up. I told you! Maybe it is your shoes? Or maybe your cap is obstructing your view. Oh nevermind, you have a cap on indoors and you have it on backwards. It can’t be that!

Sincerely,

Fellow (female) runner who kicked your emo a$$ today on the treadmill

Okay, so maybe I’m a little moody today! And you know what I got for thinking all of those negative thoughts about that poor guy on the treadmill next to me? When I got off the treadmill, I picked up my camelback, and it was dripping all over the floor. It had sprung a leak somewhere, and leaked all over my cell phone, money, and weightlifting mini notebook. Oh well. I don’t regret it! ;)

I had a huge rant post in my head from the happenings of this morning, but I decided against posting it…for now. Instead, I started contemplating about whether it would be less than classy to post a rant that deals with my volunteer employer in a negative light. I would love to say many not so nice things about him, but I will just say that he did not handle a manner with class and respect regarding an issue with the gym and me.

I was pissed and needed to workout! The nearest gym is about a mile and a half away from my in-law’s house so I decided to run over there instead of getting one of them to drop me off. Plus, they were busy with work. I loaded up my camelback up with essentials: free gym trial pass that I printed off online, driver’s license, $5, my bank card just in case, and of course, chapstick. When I got there, I did 4 miles at 8:06 pace, cooled down, weight lifted, then ran 1.5 miles back home. By the time I got home I was starving! A green monster with peanut butter and a good beating at the gym does wonders for the angry, skin crawling, livid, want to scream out loud and punch somebody soul. ;)

Do you choose to rant about private matters on your blog?

Oh, and the rest of today should be great especially after my great workout!  And it is rehearsal dinner time tonight!

• Abby March 5, 2010, 8:25 pm

I’m glad you put Mr. Emo in his place!!!! Hope your day brightens!

• Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) March 5, 2010, 8:32 pm

Sometimes I rant on my blog… I try not too though. I think you did a fabulous job of ranting via emo backwards hat guy – glad you left him in the dust! :)

• Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama March 5, 2010, 8:43 pm

LMFAO!!! I love you! hahaha
    I try not to let my blog get too personal. I have journals for my ranting and bitching =)

• Kim March 5, 2010, 8:48 pm

You know, the way you describe him, I’m shocked he was even on the treadmill. Usually those types are in the weight room enjoying looking at themselves as they lift and groaning.

I used to rant private matters on my blog, but the more readers I’ve gotten, the less I want to. It creeps me out when I meet someone for the first time and they already know all about me because of my blog.

• Graze With Me March 5, 2010, 8:56 pm

Haha, love it.

I don’t always rant on my blog as much as I wish I could. I told my parents about it when I first started in confidence and they proceeded to tell everyone they knew about it. Including family members who have no business knowing about my daily life. (That was a nice mini-rant, thanks!) But I know that my moods change rapidly from the heat of the moment and most of the time I refrain because I know I’ll regret it.

• Graze With Me March 5, 2010, 8:58 pm

I don’t know how we managed that but we commented on each other’s blogs at the *exact* same time. :)

• Megan March 5, 2010, 9:29 pm

Perfect! I love it when people try to race me on the ‘mill. Ahh, when will they ever learn.

• Tea March 5, 2010, 9:43 pm

you are TOTALLY AWESOME!

For all of us who have experienced something like this, it’s just special to see you let loose on the blog!

Awesome workout! Hopefully that loser will realize that you are WAY out of his league physically, intellectually, and emotionally.

• Heather (Where's the Beach) March 5, 2010, 9:52 pm

Workouts are awesome for relieving stress aren’t they! I haven’t ranted on my blog, but that’s not to say it won’t happen. Kind of reminds me of a recent Ugly Betty episode…

• marit c-l March 6, 2010, 7:55 am

You know – people are just downright annoying sometimes. :) My least favorite is at the pool…when I’m doing a workout and someone a lane or two over decides to “race” me. Ugh.

As for the rant… it is YOUR blog – you get to write what you want! There have been times when I’ve gone off on one thing or another – I think that’s just life. And part of being human.

Way to show him how a REAL runner does it :)

• Andy M. March 7, 2010, 4:53 pm

Sweet! I know you had a very brief post a few weeks ago about someone trying to catch you on the treadmill, but I always love hearing more stories about them. Very few and far between are the actual people just like you who get up next to you on the treadmill and actually give you a run for your money because they are actually like you and not trying to show off. Most of my workouts on the treadmill lately have been 60-80 minute negative split runs so it is interesting to see everyone get on and off and see how fast they are trying to go, and if they are actually there to run for a purpose or just to show off. My new favorite is when guys (mostly) get on the treadmill to do sprint intervals with no warmup or cooldown, and then you see them walking funny when they get off (pull your hamstring by any chance???) Hope you have a great rest of the weekend!

• Nicole March 8, 2010, 1:29 pm

I know! I have to admit, I always feel slightly competitive when someone steps on next to me, but I stick to my planned workout! And goodness, those people who don’t cool down or warm up?! Don’t even get me started!!

• Kelly B (at Local Foodie Fight) March 8, 2010, 2:30 am

ahhahhahaha loved this. too funny. i hate those people. good for you. I hope your cell phone survived the bath!! :)

• Nicole March 8, 2010, 1:26 pm

It did actually! I took it apart and set it outside for about 5 hours. It dried completely!

• Erica March 8, 2010, 2:11 pm

hahahhahahhahaha….oh guys at the gym=hilarious! I love kicking their booties on the treadmill. Nice job girl- way to rock it. Rant away! Its your blog- you can do WHATEVER you want ;)

The hotel was fabulous! We saw so many weddings at all three Iberostars while we were there!! We actually really just relaxed, laid in the sun, worked out & ate….it was awesome!

• Nicole @ Making Good Choices March 9, 2010, 12:30 am

Sometimes I would LOVE to rant on my blog, but I just can’t because people from work read it sometimes. It’s frustrating and sometimes I wish I kept it quiet and didn’t share it with anyone..but some people at work are friends too. Loved reading your post!

• scott March 11, 2010, 4:32 pm

I want to rant on my blog but I always forget what it was that aggravated when I sit down to write. I don’t have an account but I think twitter would be a good way to rant. Something pisses you off, tweet, move on. Like a digital therapy session.

• Huge Ones January 6, 2011, 2:42 pm

THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!!! My name is Josh Furlough, HAHA and I was the one running next to you…HAHA THAT IS SO FUNNY!!! no hard feelings or anything, it made for a great post…by my gosh…this is frickin insane that I stumbled over this post!!! Gosh that was so long ago!…

Anywho…everything I just said was a lie.

• Nicole January 6, 2011, 3:03 pm

You must be really bored.