FitBloggin' Conference Recap – Geek Turned Athlete

FitBloggin’ Conference Recap

This weekend was a blast! The fitness blogging community is really one of a kind. Almost everyone at the conference was so nice and friendly! I got to meet so many beautiful, intelligent, in-shape women that I immediately clicked with. Of course, there were a few of snobby bloggers, but that is to be expected, and I pretty much stayed away from those “batches” anyway. There were also some people that did not look anything like their blogs! That was funny.

When I first arrived, I met up with my roomie, Jackie. She is the sweetest thing on earth! For real! Then, we headed downstairs for the cocktail reception.

There were a few people there who were really dressed up, so I didn’t feel quite out of place! Look babe, I’m actually wearing a dress more than once! Just trying to save you money, hun. hehe. I think at first it was a little awkward, but then the POMtini’s were flowing, and everyone started loosening up.
I totally stole this pic from Caitlin, but she said that I could!

After that, we all decided to go out, and ended up at a very nice restaurant that I’m having a brain fart trying to remember right now. This is me (of course), Jackie, Whit, and Jessica. Whit and Jessica are great people too! Jessica is freakin’ hilarious!
After a late night out, I headed downstairs to the 5K run at 6:30am. WAY. TOO. EARLY. I’m usually a morning person, but after not getting that much sleep the night before AND having two drinks (yes, I’m a lightweight and an old lady), I was not in the best of moods.
But.. since New Balance gave all the participants new shirts and shoes (the 759), I felt that I had to drag myself out of bed.
And I’m sure glad that I did. It was absolutely gorgeous out.
I started and stayed in the head of the pack, and chatted the entire time with Anne and Caitlin. They are so nice!! I attempted to take some moving pics on this run, and obviously, they didn’t really turn out! We took it easy moving at anywhere from a 7:30-8:15 min/mile pace. It was great to get the blood flowing!
DSC06256.JPG DSC06257.JPG
I was so upset that this came out blurry! Here are some of us at the end!
Just some more shots while the sun was coming up…
After that, the day was filled with different discussion panels and presentations with eating in-between.
During breakfast, these were being passed out! Absolutely hilarious!
They are, I guess, underwear that you pee in standing up instead of having to sit down when you can’t get to a porta potty? Very interesting, and I do plan on trying these suckers out once I get a chance.
This made for some pretty interesting breakfast conversation between Caitlin, Abby, and I!
Actually, I just noticed this is a lunch pic! Regardless, we all had a great time!
Bottles of POM were given out all over the place!
The presentations that I went to were:
  • Blogs, Accessibility, and SEO
  • Getting Noticed: How to Pitch to Traditional Media
  • Beyond the Blog: Getting Published
  • Making Money From Your Blog: Should You? Could You? How?

The money making one left me a little uneasy for some reason. I want you guys to be able to trust me, but you need to know that I love trying new things (and giving my opinion) too. I might be doing more reviews in the future.

After the presentations, we all headed out to eat and chat with each other! All very interesting, beautiful ladies!!

Let’s just say the beer and wine were flowing, and this pic pretty much sums up our epic night! It was such a good night!

After taking a while to pull myself from my bed this morning, Julie, Abby, Caitlin, me, Jackie,
(I don’t know why I’m so hyperextended in this pic!)
And Jessica, Caitlin (absolutely hilarious as well), Gracie, Katy, Anne, and Ali decided to grab some breakfast at Starbucks and eat out by the docks.
I’m trying to catch a flight out to Germany tonight, but I’m basically on stand by so we shall see how things go! Thank you FitBloggin‘ for an amazing conference and a great chance to meet great peeps!
Good bye, Baltimore. I will try to remember your beautiful weather when I am freezing my a$$ off in Germany later this week! I’m anxious to get back to my regular schedule, wrap up my marathon training, and start my half Ironman training!!!

• Graze With Me March 21, 2010, 10:27 pm

That underwear is ridiculous! I wonder if it really works?? Test it out for us will you?? :)

I think that I would be so intimidated attending a conference like that. I live in an area not too populated with bloggers and have never had a meet-up with one. I think unless I had at least on person to arrive with it would be so hard for me to just walk in and strike up a conversation.

Snobby bloggers? I can’t say I’m surprised.

• Nicole March 21, 2010, 10:33 pm

I was so nervous too since I had never met a blogger before! It all ended up being good! They are regular people like the rest of us!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) March 21, 2010, 10:29 pm

How fun. I so wish I could have been there. Sounds like you’ve had an awesome trip back to the states!

• Lindsey @ Sound Eats March 21, 2010, 10:58 pm

LOL you should do a big juicy reveal/ dish it out post and share who the snobby bloggers are and the ones who don’t look anything like their blogs!

Looks like it was a blast, wish I could’ve gone!!

• Nicole March 21, 2010, 11:22 pm

haha. Are you kidding? I would be blacklisted if I did that! hehe

• Anne P March 21, 2010, 11:20 pm

I heart you!!! Come back and play soon :)

• Abby March 21, 2010, 11:51 pm

I love the picture of you and Jessica! I miss you already! You are an amazing, strong, loving, wonderful woman! Move to Pittsburgh when you have to leave Germany!! 😉

• Pure2raw twins March 22, 2010, 12:33 am

Nicole it was such a pleasure meeting you this weekend at Fitbloggin. You are such a sweet person, it was an honor speaking with you. I hope we get to meet again in the future.

• Kacy March 22, 2010, 12:56 am

So fun! Last night was awesome, haha. So glad I met you!

• Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me March 22, 2010, 1:05 am

haha what fun! I’m so bummed I couldn’t make it. Hopefully I can go to the Healthy Living Summit. Looks like a blast!

• Jessica @ How Sweet March 22, 2010, 1:29 am

Oh em gee. That picture of us is insane. I love you, wish you lived next door to me. :)

• Nicole March 22, 2010, 12:50 pm

I think that pretty much summed up the night! haha I wish that I lived next door to you too! I would help you eat all your goodies that you make for the blog!

• Jacquie March 22, 2010, 2:24 am

I agree with Jessica! Can we all live next door to each other, please? It was so wonderful meeting you and rooming with you. Take care for the rest of your time in germany and in the meantime, definitely keep in touch! I can’t wait until you move back to the states- our texting will be insane-haha!

• Brittany March 22, 2010, 2:35 am

It was so great to meet you lady – it’s too bad we only were able to catch up during breakfast on Saturday. I would have loved to get to know you more!

And, it looks like Saturday night was a total blast!!!!!

• Nicole @ Making Good Choices March 22, 2010, 3:29 am

I loved reading your re-cap of the weekend. It sounded so fun to meet so many members of the blogging community! I hope to go to a conference sometimes ! :)

• Julie @ Pickley Pear March 22, 2010, 3:34 am

What a fun time! I am so jealous and hope to make it next year. You girls look so fun. I wish I had long, skinny legs like you. I have never run an 8 minute mile comfortably!! The underwear…not so sure. Let us know how they work :) Have a safe flight back to Germany and good luck with your training!

• Sean (Learn Fitness) March 22, 2010, 3:40 am

I liked the conference recap … looking forward to attending the next one, assuming there is one. Are you planning on posting a review of the Gruve? As a gadget geek I’m interested in what people think of it in real world use.

Thanks again for sharing the recap.

• Nicole March 22, 2010, 1:04 pm

Unfortunately, I didn’t get to try it out. Actually, I never signed up for it. I heard really good things about it though at the conference. 😉

• Julie @SavvyEats March 22, 2010, 5:51 am

You are amazing! I looked it up, and Spokane is about 5 1/2 hours away from where Dan’s brother lives… so a meet-up when I’m there would be difficult. Heart-breaking. :(

• Gracie March 22, 2010, 11:31 am

NICOLE!! Girl, you are so beautiful and amazing and fun 😀 I’m so glad we got to meet and take Baltimore by storm on Saturday night, haha! I wish we didn’t live so far away from each other, but I’m sure we’ll run into each other again one of these days :) Keep in touch! Xoxo G

• Ryan March 22, 2010, 11:35 am

Those underwear in a tube really work because I’m wearing them…and peeing myself right now!

Batches…Now I have a new name for those “certain” women when I go to the Officer’s Spouses (Wives) Club Meetings.

• Ashley March 22, 2010, 12:57 pm

LOVED meeting you!!! you were a blast, and i wish you could have just stayed in baltimore forever with me :) hope you had safe travels back home!! xoxo

• Jordan March 22, 2010, 4:58 pm

So happy to have met you and hung out with you and the girls. Looks like I missed some craziness on Saturday night, LOVE that pic of you and Jess. I spotted myself in that group pic sitting on top of your left shoulder haha. I hope we can get together again sometime. Too much fun!

• Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather March 22, 2010, 5:44 pm

Looks like you had a crazy fun time! Those standing up peeing undies are hilarious… You’ll have to let us know how they turn out.

• Whit March 22, 2010, 8:51 pm

It was SO NICE to meet you! 😀

• Nicole March 22, 2010, 8:54 pm

Sounds like you had a wonderful time meeting new bloggies!!!

• Kelly (Local Foodie Fight) March 23, 2010, 4:22 am

What a fun recap! You had such a long journey to get there and I am so glad it sounds like it was all worth it! :)

• Laura Georgina March 23, 2010, 4:53 pm

So happy you had a good time and got to meet people in person! I always wonder what people will be like in person and I’m glad that you met some great folks.

And very happy that you gave that red dress another outing–that dress is beyond cool (gets me thinking about how to sew up a knockoff) and you look awesome in it :-)

• Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYear March 24, 2010, 12:42 am

Dear Greek Goddess,

I miss you. And your curls. And your laugh. And your hugs.

End mush.

Please enjoy the rest of your time there, and let’s Skype v. soon!!

xoxoxoxo SOOO glad to have met you my lovely.

• Leah @ Simply Fabulous March 24, 2010, 8:31 am

Looks like you had so much fun!! Great recap! Love the outfits, btw :)

• Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers March 24, 2010, 4:40 pm

sounds like an awesome time! i wish i could have gone, too!!!

• Dawn (HealthySDLiving) March 24, 2010, 8:50 pm

Looks like you had such a great time-I’d love to meet everyone someday! :)

LOVE the new sneaks!