Sprung A Leak – Geek Turned Athlete

Sprung A Leak

I have a huge announcement to make at the end of this post so make sure that you read it all the way through!

So, first thing this morning I attempted my 16 mile run. About 1/2 mile in, I noticed that my back was soaking wet. Now, I have admitted that I sweat more than the hubs, but this was not the case especially in 25 degree weather. I took off my camelback and realized that it was leaking and my camera and phone were soaked AGAIN! When I went to the gym last week, I thought it was just a fluke that my camelback was leaking, but I guess I really do have a leak! So, I grabbed my phone and camera out of the soaking wet storage compartment and stuffed them in my pockets and ran home with my arms stretched out holding my camelback out in front of me! I’m sure that I must have looked like a freak to my mom’s neighbors! hahaDSC06164.JPG

As soon as I got home, I tore my sweatshirt off, threw it in the dryer, and took apart my camera and phone so they could dry. Instead of my 16 miler, I did an 8 miler instead. I was pissed especially because I had missed a run yesterday to get the gels that I needed for a long run today, but I think that it is important to be flexible with my workout schedule. Hopefully, I will have time for the 16 miler on Friday.

So, on to the 8 miler. Yeah. So running in Albuquerque is a lot different than running in Germany. By this I mean, the elevation is a lot higher here. Where my parents live, it is about 5200-5300 feet above sea level. Germany is about 800 feet. A big difference, eh? Oh, and you better believe that I felt it today. After my sweatshirt was dry (I didn’t think I was gonna even need to wear a sweatshirt here, so I didn’t bring any moisture wicking jackets doh!), I made my way outside again.

The first two miles were pretty brutal and reminded me why elite runners come to train here. My lungs felt like they were on fire trying to work in a lower oxygen environment than what they were used to. Extreme nausea took over as I focused on breathing and trying not to puke up my organic raisin bran with bananas all over the pretty little snow covered cacti blanketing the landscape. Prairie dogs were out and about running from the roadrunners. Taking in nature, I slowly started to feel better. I was still working hard, don’t get me wrong. I started getting that metallic taste in my mouth. I haven’t had that in quite a while! I looked down at my watch and realized that I was going at a 10:05 pace. Yikes! Taking 4 days off and running in high altitude sucks!

After the turnaround, my pace was an 8:45. Hmm, I guess that I forgot about that false flat going out from my mom’s. :) It was quite horrendous, no wonder I attempted to block it out of my mind. I got home in one piece, happy to be alive even though my lungs were burning like that crazy! It was a great to run in my hometown again. I truly love it here. I miss it a lot! I know the next run I do is going to be fairly similar though!

Now, time for the big announcement: I must have been leaking something from my brain last night as well because I registered for the Grand Columbian Half Iron Triathlon scheduled for mid September of this year! I am so scared!! Ahhhh! That means that I will be swimming 1.2 miles, biking 56 miles, and running 13.1 miles!!!! I am scared out of my mind, but I do things that scare the living day lights out of me all the time. I usually never regret them! I have anxiety issues from time to time, and this usually includes being worried about being eaten by things in lakes and rivers, but I will just not think about that now.

While I was chatting with my husband last night, and by chatting I mean emailing back and forth, about which one I should do and if I’m ready to do a half Ironman, he was incredibly supportive. He said that he would drive me wherever I wanted to go, be my sherpa (carry all my crap), and cheer me on as long as there was beer somewhere! Awesome! He also said he would be there to nudge me into getting to the gym when I was tired and didn’t want to workout (mean coach!). I’m so lucky to have this much support in my life! Thanks, babe!

Now, I just have to work on calming my stomach down when I think about it!

Done anything you were scared of lately?

P.S. There is a roundtable discussion over at Frayed Laces about women balancing training with grad school that I helped contribute to!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) March 10, 2010, 10:50 pm

How frustrating about the leak! I’d have been so ticked. Woohoo on the half iron man tri! I have a friend who completed a full iron man in FL this past fall. I’m sure you can do it!

• Jessica @ How Sweet March 10, 2010, 10:51 pm

congrats to you!! :) That is a huge decision, and I’m sure you will do great! I’d love to do one, if only I ran…

• Mike March 10, 2010, 10:55 pm

Congrats for pulling the trigger on the Columbian. It will be the perfect race and I am really stoked to start reading more tri centered posts here. Great job taking the first step and registering…

• Jason March 10, 2010, 11:09 pm

Congrats! You should have signed up for the full IM though. You’re tough. You could finish a full. :)

Anything I was scared of lately? Closest thing was signing up for a 50K race next month. Training is going well so I’m feeling positive about it.

• Pamela March 11, 2010, 2:23 am

I’m doing my first half iron this September, too! Ahhhhhhh! AND I have anxiety attacks about crazy stupid things! I think it’s going to be an awesome year…terrifying, but awesome. I’m looking forward to reading about your training.

• Natalie March 11, 2010, 4:33 am

… ok i skipped ahead… and YAY!

• marit c-l March 11, 2010, 7:06 am

Oh – YEA about the Half IM! That’s fantastic – no doubt you’ll do great! You’ve already got such a phenomenal training base built up…it will be so much fun! And SUPER that the hubby is on board and so supportive – that’s always the best. So happy for you! Yes…doing something that scares you isn’t easy…but I find that its through those experiences that I grow the most. Getting out of the comfort zone – not easy, but usually always rewarding! The last really huge thing I did that I was scared $hitless about was auditioning for a professional symphony…but I did it and got in! So – yea! And I just know you’ll do SUPER! Happy training!

Hope the Camelback is fixed soon!

• Nicole @ Making Good Choices March 11, 2010, 1:26 pm

Wow an iron man! that is amazing! I’m sure you will mostly calm your stomach down after you do all the preparations. That happened to me with my camelbak and I just emailed them and they sent me a new one right away.

• Erica March 11, 2010, 3:13 pm

WOW! Running our there sounds intense. I hope your camera and phone are ok. Congrats on signing up for the big one! I can’t wait to read more about your training. Rock it girl ;)

• Paige (RAN) March 11, 2010, 3:28 pm

Good for you for getting through the run! It definitely takes a few days for your cardiorepiratory system to get used to a higher altitude.
    Congrats on signing up for the half-iron man! Awesome to do things that scare you :)

• Heather @ Side of Sneakers March 11, 2010, 4:13 pm

Oh I’d so frustrated by that leak!! Congrats on signing up for the triathlon– that’s going to be so exciting and such a great experience!

• Holly March 11, 2010, 6:42 pm

CONGRATULATIONS! that is going to be an amazing event, that is going to challenge you in the BEST way possible!

and i noticed your new blogher ad – woowoo!

• Gelareh @ Nutritious Foodie March 11, 2010, 9:00 pm

Oh wow.. that’s awesome. You can totally do it… You are always running or biking.. I don’t think training for it be much of an issue for you…. you go girl!

• Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather March 12, 2010, 8:07 am

Ahhh! That’s crazy exciting news! You’re going to rock it like no other. So sweet of your hubby to be your mean coach :)

• Kelly B (at Local Foodie Fight) March 12, 2010, 10:38 pm

GAH yikes again with the phone thing…hope that it turns out OK. I hate when those stinkin camelbaks start leaking–they are supposed to be indestructable! And kudos for you for still pushing through any run at all despite all the interruptions!

• Nicole March 13, 2010, 12:57 am

Great News Nicole!! You will do awesome. You train hard and you are so fit!!! When your out there just remember I will be cheering you on. :)
    I haven’t been able to get on your blog for some reason. It was out for about 10 days, but now your back. Yay.

• Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition March 13, 2010, 6:55 am

Good luck with the Triathlon!!