Wedding Weekend! - Geek Turned Athlete

Wedding Weekend!

This weekend was absolutely crazy! Our dear friends, Helen and John got married this weekend, and it was busy, busy, busy! We started off a bachelorlette party on Thursday night. No pics sorry. But it was fun and relaxed! Then, a rehearsal dinner Friday night at a great little Spanish restaurant that I can’t seem to remember the name of now. This dress is the result of shopping in London! I love it!

It is like business in the front and party in the back. Sort of like a mullet, but way more attractive!

The night was filled with many sangrias and saying very awkward things in front of Steve’s parents. Lovely. That is my life! Thank goodness they love me anyway!

Some more of our really good friends who took me under their wing since Steve was gone!

Saturday morning, I needed to go to the beach! Notice I said “needed.” I hadn’t gone yet since I had been in St. Pete for a week, and this was the nicest day so far– 64 degrees. Steve’s parents sat in lawn chairs bundled up in jackets and jeans while I was laying out in a string bikini. I was lovin’ it! I need a tan bad and I was desperate to get one! Living in Germany also warps ones perception on what is cold is well!

I wanted to go check out the water, and it was really cold! Notice my biking tan from last year! Yes, it still looks like I still have thigh highs on! Sexy!

After getting home from the beach, we got ready to go to the wedding! I found this fabulous dress a Cache. I LOVE that store. It is expensive as hell, but I love their dresses! And no one, but me was wearing this dress!

Which was different from my shoes! I ended up wearing the same strappy gold heels as one of the bridesmaids AND one of Steve’s ex-girlfriends from high school who I also met for the first time at the wedding! Can you say AWKWARD?!! Well, it ended up being a nice ice breaker. I ended up going up to her and introducing myself and added, “Nice shoes! Great minds think alike!” She actually ended up being really nice! And beautiful! My husband has great taste in women, what can I say! hehe

The ceremony was the same church that Steve was baptized at 35 years ago. I love being able to peek into his past like that! It was beautiful!

Then, the reception was at the St. Pete Fine Arts Museum! There was artwork everywhere! It was beautiful! This piece of artwork was of a red blood cell with cancer.

Since Steve is deployed, the groom had a cardboard cutout of him made for the wedding. When I saw it at first, it actually made me sick to my stomach. Then, people wanted me to take pictures next to it, and I tried my best to smile and have a good time.

DSC06138.JPG DSC06139.JPG

Then, I broke down and started crying. The pictures stopped! I needed a drink pretty badly at this point.

We were let into the reception area after cocktails, and it looked like some swanky New York event. Considering the bride danced in NY, I wasn’t surprised. It was absolutely gorgeous.

DSC06140.JPG DSC06143.JPG DSC06147.JPG

Five glasses of wine later, a big group of us left the wedding and headed downtown to the bars. I ended up sitting next to Steve’s ex and chatted it up. Unfortunately, it got awkward again when we went to the bathroom, and I mentioned that I didn’t have any underwear on. AWKWARD! I think she laughed, but I was drunk and can’t remember her response. Now, she will probably think of me as Steve’s slutty pantyless wife. Oh god. The things you wish you could take back once you are sober! For the record, all of the underwear that I brought with me were not a good fit for the dress. Unfortunately, I have a big mouth about those things!

After that bar, everyone else went home and my brother and sister in-laws decided to go dancing. We tore it up! Of course, we were a little overdressed for the club, but we had such a good time! On our way back to the car, we hit up a huge rock that everyone (and by everyone, I mean little kids) rock climbs on. Yes, we were up there in our dresses. Classy!

I had a great time in Florida, and I was sad to leave! But I’m on my way to Albuquerque to see my side of the family, and I am ecstatic! Beans, fresh tortillas, and green chili, here I come! And maybe some more drunkin’ rock climbing, awkward nights will take place, who knows?!

• Estela @ Weekly Bite March 9, 2010, 2:15 am

You look so beautiful!! I love both dresses!

I’m so glad you had a great time 🙂

• Heather (Where's the Beach) March 9, 2010, 2:36 am

Awesome. Sounds like you had a great time! I’m so jealous of the beach day by the way!! You look fantastic in your dresses too.

• Natalie March 9, 2010, 3:42 am

girl i’m so happy you’re having a good time. and that you didn’t encounter any Backwards Hat Guy(s).

• genesis March 9, 2010, 5:30 am

gorgeous dresses, but my fave has to be the first one! so pretty.

• Marisa March 9, 2010, 8:01 am

Love the dress!! have fun ur fam!

• Leah @ Simply Fabulous March 9, 2010, 8:21 am

Those dresses look amazing on you!!

….and the stories… oh man… the ex, the pantyless comment.. girl you are too funny.

I think if I were to say you are enjoying your time there it’d be an understatement! 🙂

• Erica March 9, 2010, 5:51 pm

hahahha this post cracked me up! Love both of your dresses (especially the red one). Glad you had fun. That cut out would’ve made me tear up too!!

• Rose March 9, 2010, 5:52 pm

Gorgeous dresses!!!!

It’s hard being separated from your loved one. There’s just no way around that ache.

Weddings – yikes – sounds like you had a good time!!! I tend to have a few too many myself at weddings! 😉

• Kendel March 9, 2010, 8:27 pm

I’m glad you had a good time at the wedding. If you haven’t already, (and it’s possible,) you should send Steve a copy of the photo of you on the beach… even with thigh-high tan lines, you look smoking hot- nothing but legs! I’m sorry he couldn’t be at the wedding with you, it sounds like you were a real trooper.

• Alison March 9, 2010, 9:17 pm

Your dresses are beautiful! My heart totally sank when I read that the husband-imitation made you cry 🙁 You are a tough cookie to make the best of it.

Is Albequerque your hometown?? My husband and I are considering living there. What do you think of it?

• Mike March 9, 2010, 10:30 pm

But did you get any good runs in?

Glad you had a great time!

Mike

• Nicole @ Making Good Choices March 9, 2010, 10:47 pm

Love both dresses! your stories made me laugh, especially the underwear! that must be so hard for you to have your husband away, I give you a lot of credit for being able to hold up.

• Gelareh @ Nutritious Foodie March 9, 2010, 11:22 pm

Beautiful dresses! I specially love the red one.. I think it is a great compliment with your black hair… You look gorgeous. 🙂

• Anne March 10, 2010, 1:07 pm

That red dress is gorgeous! 🙂

• Charisa March 10, 2010, 7:30 pm

Love your dresses – beautiful! Looks like you had a great time – glad you got some beach time too! 🙂

• Andy M. March 10, 2010, 9:37 pm

I need some beach! It looks like you had a really great time at the wedding! And it is great that you will be able to visit your family before returning back to Germany! You said it about the weather. It got damn near 70 degrees this past weekend here, and you can bet I was outside and not on the treadmill (I hate cold weather). I think I am just about as white as you from lack of sun. Have fun while you are still back in the states!

• Holly March 11, 2010, 6:41 pm

HAHAHAHAHA this post made me laugh. i loved it. especially the cutout cardboard of steve at the end. HIGH-larious.

and those dresses! i can’t even decide which one i love more. this only solidifies the fact that when we do meet up, a shopping trip will also be in order together 🙂

• Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYear March 17, 2010, 3:38 am

Gorgeous as always!! The shot of you on the beach (with the beautiful tan) shows off some powerful legs – I am insanely jealous!! Maybe I have a little girl crush?? Haha.