Baumholder Hills – Geek Turned Athlete

Baumholder Hills

Oh Baumholder Hills, how misleading you are. The first hill took a good ten minutes of constant grinding to get up, then another hill, another, then another leading into a slight downhill into a village. The worst was over, right?! No. Yes folks, this is the look of pure ignorance of what was to come next. And by ignorance, I mean intentionally forgotten memories of the hills in this area so that I could sleep at night after my race here last year.

The gorgeous views were so relaxing… until I figured out that the views were just there to make you forget about the incredible pain of many, many steep hills.

Thirty minutes in, still in good spirits. We were so stupid.

Yep.

Then, the torture really began. There was a 2 1/2 mile hill up next. Doesn’t seem that bad, huh? Yeah, that is what I would think too, but I would be oh so wrong! Katie started up leading Leah, and me trying my best to keep up with them. We started separating from each other. I was in my easiest gear, and my legs were burning. I didn’t seem to be going anywhere. I focused on the road. I could no longer see Katie, and Leah was just a dot in the distance that soon disappeared as well. I was the last one. Instead of having a pity party for myself, I thought that I would sing the Baumholder Hills a song of love.
Oh Baumholder Hills,
I hate you, I hate you, I hate you.
I’m going to kick your a__.
Yes, I’m going to kick your f_____in’ a__.
No, no, no, no
You are not going to kick minnnne!

Quite creative, isn’t it? (do you sense my sarcasm?) Since it was just me and the trees, I thought that it would be okay. My legs felt like they were going to fall off, and I began to get annoyed at the millions of pot holes I also had to maneuver around. I finally made it out of a tree patch and into a village with a field. They were waiting for me at the top of the hill. I’m so thankful that I have friends who pull me along on these rides for at least a little while until I can’t even keep up with them while drafting!

Then, it was hill after hill after hill after hill. We passed a bunch of baby sheep and a lot of horses, but for most of the ride I just focused on this:

And this:

My goal for the entire ride was to stay with Katie and Leah, but this was certainly an anomaly on this one.

The last hill of the day was a good 20 minutes straight of climbing. At least I was able to keep Leah in my sights for this one. A German passed me like it was nothing going up this hill. We said our “hallos,” and he was off. The Europeans are REALLY good cyclists. They amaze me every single time I see them. Thank goodness I hadn’t started singing yet, otherwise I think I might have been even more embarrassed!

We finally finished about 40K in about an hour and a half. Exhausted, we all headed to my house for dinner and Corona’s. Well, although I felt that I had deserved a Corona, I didn’t have one because of my gluten-free month (to figure out the stomach probs).
All in all, it was a great day of working out. Keep in mind that I had also started the day out with a 1200 meter swim and a 4 mile run. My legs were dead for the run from the biking the day before. Let’s just say that my legs were D.O.N.E after that ride last night. I’m so thankful that I have friends who challenge me! I need it! If I was out there by myself, I definitely wouldn’t have tried as hard as I did!
Do you ever workout with someone that you know is going to challenge you?

• Jessica @ How Sweet April 29, 2010, 2:05 pm

Holy crap. You are bad ass!

I have a client who lost about 120lbs – she is hilarious and fun, and occasionally I workout with her. We always motivate each other!

• Erica April 29, 2010, 2:16 pm

phew girl! Way to push through it- that is AMAZING! Definitely beautiful out there too. I love workout with someone who is fitter than me or better at whatever we’re doing- so motivating

• Heather (Where's the Beach) April 29, 2010, 2:34 pm

LOL – love the song girl too funny! I run with my husband b/c he’s going to push me to go farther and run faster. Sometimes I’m running faster b/c my goal is to catch up to him and smack him in the head…but hey, whatever works right ;-)

• Nicole April 29, 2010, 3:07 pm

haha. That would motivate me too!!

• Sean (Learn Fitness) April 29, 2010, 2:44 pm

That sounds like an awesome ride, where is Baumholder? It sounds like a fun ride. We certainly don’t have as many hills around here (Illinois) like that.

I was curious what kind of bike do you ride? I’m starting the research for a new one now, because I’m weird like that.

• Nicole April 29, 2010, 3:06 pm

Baumholder is about 30 minutes away from Ramstein, Germany. ;) For better or for worse, Germany is nothing but hills actually. :)

I ride an Ironhorse right now, but it is actually way too small for me. I have abnormally really long legs for my height, and I think that I am going to try to trade it in for something else when we get back to the states in a couple of months. I really want an orbea though!

• Claire April 29, 2010, 3:03 pm

Does a trainer count? She used to kill me during and pre-season in college…my coach and rest of team really pushed me too. Awesome ride lady!

• adrienmelaine April 29, 2010, 3:39 pm

What a day! You really cram the activity in there- but I guess when you have time for it, you may as well!

I love beers on nice days after some major workouts, they go straight to your head that much faster

• She-Fit April 29, 2010, 5:07 pm

WOW! Now that is dedication… but you finished! Way to go

• Sonja {ActiveFoodie} April 29, 2010, 5:41 pm

What a beautiful village! And the rolling hills are breathtaking! Way to pull through and conquer the hills! :)

• Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather April 29, 2010, 5:58 pm

Sounds killer! I find that when I run with someone else I tend to run faster. I think that most of my alone runs are just kept as easy and so I go slower.

• polwig April 29, 2010, 6:17 pm

Way to push yourself…. How I wish I could do that with you… the scenery reminds me of my time spent in Alsace… now I would have to have a caboose with about 70 pounds more to push… I guess that way I will burn more calories and can eat more….

• Kimberly Lee April 29, 2010, 7:12 pm

I have started training a friend (and co-worker)…and I was pleasantly suprised to find out that she is challenging me. Seeing her step outside her comfort zone and do new things has me pushing in my workouts.

I am also challenged every single time I lift with my husband. He never lets me use the “sissy” weights as I am prone to do when lifting alone. His encouragement helps me to eek out an extra rep or two.

• Anne April 29, 2010, 7:27 pm

I usually work out by myself, but that’s challenging enough for me :D

• Kacy April 29, 2010, 10:29 pm

Geez, I would have straight died! Mad props to you my lady.

• Graze With Me April 29, 2010, 10:33 pm

You rock!! There is no way I would ever be able to keep up with you ladies!

My dad is an amazing cyclist, I guess it’s not genetic because I’m horrid. He’s doing a century trail race in June with his brother and nephew. That man is nuts….

• Lisa April 29, 2010, 11:11 pm

My boyfriend is an excellent cyclist! That’s his first sport. He definitely kicks my butt at biking. I can usually keep up with him but not always. I can run circles around him, and I’m much better at hiking and swimming.

Your ride looks wonderful!

• Blond Duck April 30, 2010, 4:00 am

Hey, I popped in from Jess’s at How Sweet. I saw your April post about possibly having IBS-C, and I was diagnosed with it in November. If you want to e-mail me, I can tell you about the medicine that saved me! I literally was carrying 13 pounds of bulk from constipation and in such pain–I couldn’t eat, go to the bathroom, anything. I looked six months pregnant. It turned out the benefiber fiber pills and all the high-fiber oatmeal/ granola bars/ cereal was actually making my condition worse! They gave me a medicine that’s the prescription form of Miralax and it is a life saver!

• Meghan@traveleatlove May 1, 2010, 1:15 am

Way to go! Your photos are beautiful and inspiring!