Gluten Free: Day 2 – Geek Turned Athlete

Gluten Free: Day 2

Today was a great day filled with 2 1/2 hours of riding and a trip to a health foods store which was really interesting considering I live in Germany, but we will get to that later. :)

The morning started off with me teaching an hour of indoor cycling to a squadron. It was tons of hills that left me nauseous on a few hills and drenched in sweat by the end. Yes, I was working that hard AND I was teaching. I always say that I’m going to take it easy when I teach, but I can never do it! I get so into the class with the students.

After class, I headed to the commissary to find gluten free items. Gluten free bread? Nope. Gluten free veggie burgers? Nope. Gluten free baking flour? Finally, something! I got really discouraged about the fact that gluten was in everything, and the commissary didn’t have much of a selection, but the planned trip to a health foods store later made me feel better. It is day 2 of my gluten free vegan month, and to tell you the truth, I feel great! I really don’t want to count my chickens before they hatch, but I feel like “things” are moving through my system a lot faster already. My energy level is up way more than it was just a few days ago. We will see how I feel after a week though. I don’t want to get too excited about this supposed cure for my stomach problems (and headaches).

After getting home, I had just enough time to get everything ready for my 2nd ride of the day with Renee through our villages. The picture above is of a building that had a huge bell that was ringing on top. Gah, I love German villages!

I’m sorry about the blur, I was riding when I took some of these!

I must say that I am really out of shape on the bike. I feel so slow. I have a long distance triathlon (1.2 km swim, 31.1 mile bike, and 8.5 mile run) in 2 months, and I’m a little worried. I know that I can handle all those distances, but the speed might be a little slow.

After the bike ride, I had just enough time to eat lunch and shower before hitting the health food store with a couple of friends. Let’s just say, you think health stores are fun in the states? You will find them even more fun in Germany! I should have brought my German English dictionary with me, but I think that I ended up doing alright in the end. This is just lentils and beans. It was beautiful.

I ended up finding some gluten free bread that I broke into right when I got home. It was actually really good and moist, quite the contrary to what I had read online! I also picked up some red quinoa, red lentils that actually look orange to me, black rice noodles, umeboshi (supposedly good for hangovers), tamari (gluten free soy sauce), vanilla powder, rice syrup, and puffed amaranth.

Overall, I’m very excited to try out all this stuff! I hope my husband knows what he is getting into when he finally comes home from deployment next week!

On the workout docket tomorrow: My first 2-a-day of the season: running and swimming in the morning, then a 40K ride in a VERY hilly area with some friends in the evening. We are riding part of the Baumholder course tomorrow, and it is just scary. I’m hoping my legs are going to be strong enough to last me the entire day!

• Estela @ Weekly Bite April 27, 2010, 9:38 pm

This is quite the challenge!

It would be so hard for me to go gluten-free!

I’m glad to hear your feeling great though :)

• Mike April 27, 2010, 9:47 pm

You will be fine on your tri. There is no shame in being a little slower than some. Put it in perspective and realize you will only be competing with yourself.

Mike

• Nicole April 27, 2010, 9:56 pm

Always the wise one, Mike. 😉

• Alanna @ Blood, Sweat & Cupcakes. April 27, 2010, 10:12 pm

I just can’t believe how beautiful it is where you’re living right now!
    Also, black rice noodles? Very interested in what you’re going to do with those :)

I went gluten free for a few weeks a few years back and if nothing else I had zero bloating while doing so! I’ll definitely try it again.

• Heather (Where's the Beach) April 27, 2010, 10:13 pm

Lovely pictures by the way. Glad you were able to find gluten free products after all. I know that there are a million and one recipes out there and lots of bloggers who are gluten free. Can’t wait to see what you start making with all the goodies.

• Lisa April 27, 2010, 10:54 pm

What a wonderful and scenic place to ride! I’m jealous. :) I’m looking forward to reading your story on the triathlon. You will be great!

• Elina April 27, 2010, 11:02 pm

So cool to see pictures of the health store in Germany!!

• Erica April 28, 2010, 3:02 am

ah! The German health food store looks awesome! VERY cool. I want to visit there someday so so bad. Glad class went well. I can never take it easy either- I feel like I’m their source of inspiration…gotta keep them moving :) Super glad to hear you’re already feeling better. My fingers are double crossed (if thats possible ;)) for you!

• Marisa April 28, 2010, 8:04 am

Where did you find this store?? I love going into German stores, they have so much fun/good stuff. What town is it in?

• Antonia May 2, 2010, 7:39 pm

Hey! The store is called Alnatura and you can find their stores here: http://alnatura.de/de/standortkarte

Have fun =)

• Nicole May 2, 2010, 7:40 pm

haha. Thank you. I actually had to look that up today for a friend!

• Leah @ Simply Fabulous April 28, 2010, 9:08 am

Isn’t it crazy to find out all the different things that have gluten in them? For instance, I had no idea until recently that vinegar had gluten in it! Some brands are ok though. I wish you all the best on this Nicole… can’t wait to keep up with you. Glad you are feeling a bit better…hope it helps even moreso as the days go on!

• Pamela Oakley April 28, 2010, 3:46 pm

Hi Nicole,

I’m sure you know this, but make sure that you’re taking a Vitamin B12 supplement, since it’s only source is from animal products.

I’ve been gluten free for a few months now, and it’s changed everything. The crazy thing is that the longer you go without gluten, the more sensitive you are to it, seemingly. I can tell the next day if I ate something with gluten in it. Not pretty.

Good luck – I hope it all works out for you.

• Pure2raw twins April 28, 2010, 4:06 pm

Glad you are feeling better! Yes it is sad that so many things contain gluten, but the options are getting better.

• adrienmelaine April 28, 2010, 6:14 pm

Going gluten free is tough initially but once you establish the patterns and know what you need to eat and how to eat it should become a lot easier- especially when you find stores that have what you need!

I’m so jealous you get to ride around the country side in Germany- will you try and get to France to watch part of the tour? Will you still be in Europe then?

• Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather April 28, 2010, 8:10 pm

So glad to hear that you’re feeling better without the gluten! Hope it’s the cure.

You are one tough chick bikin like a champ!

• polwig April 29, 2010, 6:21 pm

I am polish and even though not gluten free I understand what you can find on the shelves in Europe. You may need to venture away from the traditional american gluten free foods and go for german gluten free foods, mainly Potatoes. There is potato flour, potato starch pretty much potato everything and it is all so good. On the other hand I am having an awefull time finding potato flour in the store in the US (even in a gluten free section).

• Anne P May 13, 2010, 1:16 am

Haha that reminds me of navigating the Prague grocery stores!! Yikes… never knew what anything was!