Sunny Motivational Bike Ride – Geek Turned Athlete

Sunny Motivational Bike Ride

Do ever feel like you are in a workout slump and you don’t feel like moving at all for about a week, then a friend makes wants you to go workout with her and you are so glad that you did? That is how I’ve been feeling lately. I partly think the marathon that I ran a couple of weeks ago and my cold are to blame. I’m still feeling a little under the weather, but the sun was shining this morning, and I’m glad I got my butt outside, finally!!

I was supposed to go on a 56 mile bike ride about an hour away from my house, but all of my friends bailed except for one. So, we decided to keep it local and go for a bike ride for about 2 1/2 hours around my village, then a short run afterwards. Europeans are HUGE cyclists so there are trails EVERYWHERE!

This was in no way a training ride today. Don’t get me wrong, the hills were pretty bad and left me breathing hard during and after I crested over the top of them, but we took the narrow straight aways pretty leisurely. We even decided to drop by another friend’s house, and make her bike with us for about 30 minutes. This was absolutely amazing weather for Germany. It is usually cold, dark and rainy here, but it was actually 68 degrees out. That is HOT for us! haha It was perfect! You don’t realize how much you love the sun until it’s taken away for months and weeks at a time.

On a couple of sections, we got bombarded with tons of insects. I even ate one at one point. I guess they are happy about the warm weather too. :(

My nose was still running like a faucet, but this ride was good for the soul, you know? It was the perfect motivation to get my butt back in gear for training!

Leaving Suzanna’s driveway was VERY steep, and I didn’t up enough speed, and had to unclip quickly so I didn’t fall over. I ended up scraping my left pedal on my shin trying to unclip from the right side as well. It looks minor here, but it is actually turning into a huge bruise right now. It freakin’ hurt, bad! Am I surprised? No, I’m a very clumsy girl. 😉

After Renee and I got home from the bike ride, we quickly changed into our running gear, and headed out for a 30 minute run. It felt easy. I thought my legs would be hating it, but they actually really enjoyed every second of the run. It was a workout of rolling hills, and although my legs were burning going up the hills, I remembered why I love running! My foot still hurts a little from last weekend’s half marathon, but it is getting better.

There is a half marathon that is next weekend that most of my friends are doing that I have decided to not do. To be honest, I don’t feel like it. I know that is not a good excuse, but I’m a little burnt out mentally with running races right now. I agreed to be everyone’s sherpa which will be interesting because I’ve never been to a race that I didn’t compete at before. :)

I think a little bit of depression after a marathon is normal? Or at least, that is what my marathon friends tell me. It didn’t really hit me until this week when I got sick. I really think that running a marathon, then running a half marathon a week later is what did me in with the cold and this “I don’t want to workout at all” feeling. I’m glad that I’m crawling out of this what seemed to be a bottomless abyss of blah.

To help combat this blah, I have been working on my new workout schedule for the next few months. It is filled with an olympic triathlon, a distance between an olympic and half ironman (European race distances are weird), another running race that is run with a tag team, and a half ironman so far. We are moving back to the states in almost 2 months, so I will be busy! The schedule should be up within the next few days, so be sure to check my exercise schedule page soon! This schedule has me really excited to start on Monday!

I’m also starting my gluten and dairy free month on Monday. I think that it is quite ironic because I’m starting this in Europe where they have the best cheese and bread in the world, but I really need to figure out what is going on with my body right now since doctors only want to medicate the symptoms. Wish me luck!

Where has your motivation been lately?

P.S. Are any of you interested in doing any guest posts on Geek Turned Athlete?  I plan on traveling for a good two and a half weeks during the next couple of months before we leave Europe, and I’m going to need some amazing guest posters!  I’m pretty much up for anything!  Email me if you are interested!  geekturnedathlete@gmail.com

• Erica April 25, 2010, 2:23 pm

The ride looks so beautiful. Glad you went. Yes, every few months I get in a slump where I 100% do not want to go teach. Usually just getting up and out there and doing it makes the feeling go away, but I can so relate. Good luck with the new diet

• adrienmelaine April 25, 2010, 4:17 pm

I cannot believe you’re starting an elimination diet in Europe! That is a bit wild, but if it has to be done, there’s never really a good time to start.

I’m about to run my marathon this weekend, and I’m nervous that I’m going to get a bit of runners burn out by the time my half rolls around 2 weeks later as well, but there’s less pressure on the half, and with different training around the corner, I might as well enjoy the running while it lasts!

Love your blog- I’m a lurker- first time commenting- I should do this more often.

• Heather (Where's the Beach) April 25, 2010, 4:30 pm

Hey girl – sounds like you had a nice ride. Nice weather always helps doesn’t it. I think not wanting to do a race is a good enough reason. You’ve done a lot lately and it’s ok to just sit one out. And it sounds like you’ve got a lot coming up too!

• Lisa April 25, 2010, 6:26 pm

Those trails look really fun!

I’m training really hard for a bike race next month. I’ve been feeling kind of “blah” about my workouts lately. To shake things up I went for a hike yesterday. It was a nice change. :)

• 'Drea April 25, 2010, 9:37 pm

When I’m feeling blah about working out, I don’t log nearly as many hours. Way to get your groove back.

• Kacy April 25, 2010, 10:54 pm

I have weeks like that all the time, haha, but I can totally understand why you were having one. You are so hardcore lady. I love it.

I’m buying a bike soon. I wish I could bike it over to Germany and ride with you :)

• Julie @savvyeats April 25, 2010, 11:53 pm

I think ‘not feeling like it’ is a perfectly fine excuse to not run the half.. you’ve put a lot of stress on your body in the past month, what with the half and the full marathon. If you want a break, you should take a break!

• Heather April 26, 2010, 12:38 am

I have eaten a few bugs during training runs on the trail near my apartment. They are NEVER tastey- but always a surprise 😉

It is perfectly okay to not run a race just becasue you don’t feel like it! You are taking care of ALL parts of you – and that includes NOT doing things once in a while too! Way to go, girl!

• Nicole April 26, 2010, 8:15 am

haha. I love it! “They are NEVER tastey- but always a surprise ;)” LOL. Yes, they are. Yes, they are.

• Amy April 26, 2010, 2:25 am

Hi!

Good for you for taking charge of your body even more bu finding out what is making you feel blah! I know the tri-care doctors can be trying. :)

In regards to:

Besides serious injury, I think that’s the best reason not to race. It’s great that you’re listening to your body and spirit.

I’m still coming up with my training plan, but I will be running a trail marathon in Mongolia in July. Woohoo!!

Hope your foot keeps getting better, Amy

• Nicole April 26, 2010, 8:17 am

Wow, Mongolia? That is freaking awesome! Thanks for the support. Tricare. Arh!

• Alanna April 26, 2010, 2:49 pm

Have you always used clipless pedals? I am so nervous to start using them, I currently just use strap-in pedals. Have any advice? :)

My motivation has been seriously laking recently too. With finals, and the rainy weather that Newfoundland gets this time of year, it has been though! I’ve been trying to change things up a little in my fitness routine and it’s helping!

Take care

• Nicole April 26, 2010, 3:13 pm

Yes, I have always used clipless pedals for my roadbike. It was quite a change to get used to from my childhood cycling, but once I got used to it, it was no biggie. I still hurt myself sometimes though! It is totally worth it if you are thinking about it!! You are able to use your whole leg to pedal and as a result, you are much faster and more efficient!

• Andy M. April 26, 2010, 4:17 pm

To answer your question….

I have had some motivational issues this season, even with scheduling races and all the other things one should do to keep themselves pumped up about their season! Funny enough, I found my motivation in a comment that my girlfriend made at 6am the other morning while she was getting ready to go to fitness bootcamp and I was getting ready to hit the gym and go to the pool. She basically said that she had gotten comfortable in doing this bootcamp for the past three months, that it had lost its luster so it was not fun, new and exciting anymore. It got me to thinking and later that day after we both got off work I had a 45 min conversation with her about it. I guess I felt the same way, but had never actually took the time to think about it (or talk about it). Now my 6th season, I have competed at every standard tri distance, PR’ed a few times at each distance, and even completed an Ironman. I guess it is just not new and sexy like it used to be. After having that conversation I hit every workout the rest of the week and I have been pumped ever since!

Glad to see you are getting back on the proverbial horse :) Hope you had a good weekend!

• Maria April 26, 2010, 8:04 pm

Gorgeous photos! Looks like a great ride!

• Gelareh @ Nutritious Foodie April 26, 2010, 8:37 pm

awesome pics.. it definately looks like a great day for a rdie :)
    Looking forward to reading about your dairy free/gluten free month. :)

• Ryan April 27, 2010, 8:17 pm

I don’t want to be too elitist…but I think you should peel the warning sticker off of your top tube. Nothing says “Watch out for this one” like reflectors and warning stickers.

Just sayin’… :-)

• Nicole April 27, 2010, 8:21 pm

haha. I totally thought about that when I put the pic up! To tell you the truth, I never even noticed it until I took that pic. I’m taking it off right now!

• Leana May 6, 2010, 6:16 am

It looks like some beautiful riding out there! I don’t blame you for not wanting to race the half marathon. You’ve been racing a lot lately and it is very easy to get burned out from racing a lot. If you aren’t feeling it, then definitely hang out and be a sherpa. That will probably help to boost some motivation!

And have I mentioned how amazing the riding looks out there?!