Eastern Med Cruise 2010: Beach Bound in Corfu, Greece - Geek Turned Athlete

Eastern Med Cruise 2010: Beach Bound in Corfu, Greece

My husband and I went on a Med cruise the second week of May, and this was our second stop from Venice with our first being in Croatia. It was absolutely beautiful pulling into the island.

DSC07208_2.JPG

According to the Freestyle Daily provided by Norwegian Cruises:

“Corfu is the second largest of the Ionian Islands. Its northern part lies off the coast of Sarande, Albania, from which it is separated by straits including one near ancient Butrint, while its southern part lies off the coast of Thesprotia, Greece. The island is part of the Corfu Prefecture and includes twelve of the sixteen municipalities or communes in the prefecture and communities of Ereikoussa, Mathraki, Othonoi, and Municipality of Paxoi, which are all separate islands. The principal town of the island is also called Corfu.

The old town, having grown within fortifications, where every meter of ground was precious, is a labyrinth of narrow streets paved with cobblestones, sometimes tortuous but colorful and clean. These streets are known as kantournia, and the older amongst them sometimes follow the gentle irregularities of the ground; while many are too narrow for vehicular traffic.”

When we got off the ship, we immediately noticed this salvaged ship and proceeded to investigate. Pretty cool.

We didn’t have any plans really for this island besides lying on the beach for a few hours and maybe a little bit of shopping. Unfortunately, the port area did not have a beach, and we had to pay 40 euro for a round trip cab ride to the other side of the island for a beach. It turned out to be a locals hangout and was mostly empty.

Time to lay out, and fix my narly cycling tan on my legs!

DSC07248.jpg DSC07309.jpg
DSC07242.JPG DSC07321.JPG

Well, it turns out that the taxi driver dropped us off on such a secluded area that there was only one restaurant that happened to be an outside bar. After laying out for about an hour, we headed to the bar for lunch, beers, iced coffee, people watching, and catching up! Hey, we hadn’t see each other in 4 months!

When walking up to this rock, we decided to stop there since there was a completely naked lady on the other side! After this and seeing naked boobs all day on the rest of the beach, we got inspired and decided to do a little nude suntanning ourselves! Steve put his shorts on for the blog. hehe.

It was freeing and fun. Of course, I covered myself up when other people came walking by, but I was “out and about” for about an hour! I usually don’t run around flashing people, but doing this stuff once in a while makes me feel more connected with my body and adds to my self confidence “bucket.” I certainly don’t think there is anything “naughty” about walking around topless on a semi-nude beach. Being naked is beautiful! Okay, enough hippie talk!

DSC07342.jpg

Even though we didn’t really do much at this port, we still had a blast just hanging out. Corfu is absolutely beautiful!

Have any of you sucked up your modesty and gone topless on a beach?
Next stop: Volcano hiking in Santorini!
  • Jessica @ How Sweet May 24, 2010, 1:40 pm

So beautiful! I have never been anywhere worthy of being topless…lol. I don’t think the Jersey Shore counts. Hahaha.

• Nicole May 24, 2010, 1:43 pm

haha. I don’t think so either. I bet you could get away with it there though!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) May 24, 2010, 3:08 pm

Kudos to you! Not sure I could get enough nerve even if everyone else was nude too!!

• Kim May 24, 2010, 4:33 pm

I love that last photo!! What a fun day! I think it’s great. I went topless once in Nice when I was in high school, but I was wearing a one piece, so it looked a bit silly 😉

• genesis May 24, 2010, 6:09 pm

you have an awesome bod, so you should totally show it off 🙂 more props to you for going au nautrale!

• Tiffany May 24, 2010, 8:39 pm

Haha! WOO WOO! I’m so happy that you’re having an amazing time, doll!

• Ryan May 24, 2010, 8:41 pm

Ha! What a timely post because it just so happens that I read it in the nude! Imagine that!

• Nicole May 25, 2010, 11:25 am

haha. Ryan, you always crack me up with your comments!

• Kendel May 24, 2010, 9:08 pm

You’ve worked hard and your body shows it! (Insert whistle here.) I’m glad you’re enjoying each other! Went all out at the sauna but never on a public beach. Perhaps this week while in Mallorca?!?!

• Nicole May 25, 2010, 11:26 am

Ooo, Mallorca! Have fun!!!! So jealous!!

• Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 25, 2010, 2:16 am

oh what amazing photos! It all looks so beautiful!

• Erica May 25, 2010, 3:02 am

It looks just GORGEOUS there! I love finding more local type places- they usually have better, more reasonably priced food. Great job on being free- I think that is AWESOME!

• Spokane Al May 25, 2010, 3:34 am

I did race the local Bare Buns Fun Run two years in a row with nothing on but my running shoes. Does that count?

• Nicole May 25, 2010, 11:17 am

Yes, it does! Is that what I have to look forward to in Spokane? haha

• Lindsey @ Foodie on the Rocks May 25, 2010, 4:55 pm

Love your blog! I am certainly no cyclist, but I love running and feel you on the hideous tan lines! So awesome that you had the nerve to go topless on the beach. I haven’t been anywhere that does that, but I think if I were with the right people (or no one I knew 🙂 ) I would go for it too!!

• Gelareh @ Nutritious Foodie May 25, 2010, 7:21 pm

So I just got caught up with your blog and girl you are having fun. I am sure you are super happy your husband is back home 🙂 I enjoyed reading your cruise recap and definately looking at the sunny beach photos (it is freezing here in my office)

• kate May 25, 2010, 7:58 pm

Greece is my favorite place in the world. It looks like you guys are having a fantastic time!

• Anne May 25, 2010, 8:14 pm

Oh yes, been there done that 🙂 feels awesome!

• Dawn (HealthySDLiving) May 25, 2010, 9:33 pm

I’ve always wanted to lay on a nude beach and just feel free–don’t know if I ever could but it’s a thought!
    Gorgeous pics!

• lucy May 26, 2010, 9:38 pm

dear Nikki
    I too, as you know have been to corfu. when i was there about 10 years ago, we rented a moped and went all over the island. we were there 5 days. it was awesome, and yes, i did go topless.
    my body of course did not look like yours, but the experience was great! look forward to hearing about the rest of your cruise and beyond. give my love to steve.

• Nicole May 26, 2010, 10:36 pm

Wow, grandma. You are badass! Now, I know where I got my nudist streak from! I love you!

• janelle May 26, 2010, 10:43 pm

Looks like you guys had a great time! Kudos on having the guts to go clothing-less. Your grandmother is awesome btw…haha..

• Anne P June 2, 2010, 12:57 am

You are brave! I’m not sure I’d have the guts to go topless. Maybe if everyone else was…

I did get used to and on board with how “I’m naked and I don’t care” everyone is in the gym dressing rooms in Prague, though! Gotta love Europeans. They just don’t give a sh!t and it’s refreshing.