Baumholder Triathlon Race Recap – Geek Turned Athlete

Baumholder Triathlon Race Recap

I want to just start off as saying that I was crazy yesterday to even consider not doing this race because of crap that had nothing to do with me. This race meant so much to me since it was the last triathlon in Germany that I would have been competing in before the big move to the states (which happened to be the next day– yesterday).

After waking up at 5am, 6am, 7am, and lastly 8am, I finally decided to pull myself out of bed. I felt tired and dehydrated. After grabbing a couple pieces of toast (GF of course!) w/ pb and jelly and a huge glass of water, I realized that I had no clif bloks or sunscreen, and that they were probably on a ship in the middle of the ocean with the rest of our belongings. Great. Just then, my friend, Katie, called to ask what time Steve and I were going to show up to the race. Perfect timing. She was bringing everything I needed! Thanks, Katie!!

We were out the door by 9:40am. I might also want to let you all know if you are reading this from the states, European races start at really odd times. I once had a half marathon at 6pm. I’m not kidding. This triathlon on Sunday started at 11am. The website had no mention of when the English briefing was, and I remembered from last year that we were all standing around forever before the race started.

We ended up getting there by 10:10 am, and the race director, the owner of a bike shop that my friends and I like using the potty at during long rides, came up to me and told me I was late in English. He was just giving me a hard time. Surprisingly, I wasn’t that nervous. I did this triathlon last year (the short course), and although they changed the bike route from the year before, I wasn’t worried.You should have seen me last year. I was scared, shaking, and thought I was going to puke. Katie was there with me last year too. It was my first triathlon. I’m telling you, this race felt A LOT different from last year! Here Katie and I were last year. She was encouraging me back then too. :) Goodness, looking back at my photos from last year makes me think I’ve lost about 5 pounds from last year. Hmmm. I think that I have leaned up, and I’m eating so much better since I listen to my body more!

DSC01523.JPG DSC01555.JPG

Back to this year! I was famiiar with the new bike course. All was good. If you can ride at least part of the bike course of a triathlon, I definitely think it is worth it. No surprises, well, as far as the course goes. ;)Time to set up the transition area…Katie and I were actually right next to each other since we signed up together. I definitely think that helped calm the fears just a bit too.

DSC08896.jpg DSC08899.jpg
As soon as we were done setting up in the transition area and peeing, the wetsuit dance started.
DSC08903.jpg DSC08905.jpg

Haha. I think it is really funny that the guy in the red and white shirt is staring at my butt, and my husband was the photographer that day.

DSC08908.jpg DSC08912.jpg

SWIM: 1200 meters (23:55)
Once we were snuggly in our wetsuits, we waited for our wave to be called. We slowly eased our way into the water, and chatted away. I made one last attempt to get all the pee out (graphic, but you triathletes know what I’m talking about!), and all of the sudden we were in the middle of the countdown! Funf! Vier! Drei! Zwei! Eins! A bunch of horns went off with clapping…

I plunged my head in, and started swimming. My first goal was to not get kicked in the chest or eye like last year. I didn’t mind if I was somewhere near the back. Swimming is my least favorite of the three sports, and I’m not that aggressive in the water.

Suddenly,I felt someone grab my leg and yank me under in the mass chaos start. I pulled my way back up to the surface gasping for air. I was only under there for a few seconds, but I was freaking out, of course! Then, I heard Katie’s voice, “Sorry, Nicole!” I yelled back, “It’s okay!”. I swear if anyone else would have done that, I would have tried to kick them in the face, but since Katie did it, and I knew it was an accident, it was okay.

Can you find me? I’m facing the camera gasping for air…

There were two loops in the lake, and to tell you the truth, I didn’t enjoy the first loop at all! It is always the most nerve-wracking for me like stated above. And… lacking the ability to swim straight = running into the lines/ropes marking the course. That was fun getting tangled up in those (can you sense the sarcasm?). I couldn’t get my breathing under control at all. It was frustrating.

By the second lap, I had convinced myself to stop freaking out and that this was the last time I would have to swim in this lake. I also kept telling myself: Just swim. You like swimming, remember? Of course you like swimming in a pool and not open water, but just ignore that little fact. And you know what? It worked. Granted, I wasn’t the first out of the water, but at least I didn’t have a nervous breakdown in the water. That is always a plus, right? Needless to say, the second loop came a lot faster than the first, and before I knew it, I was running out of the water!

DSC08987.jpg DSC08989.jpg DSC08991.jpg

I would like to add here that wetsuits are NOT flattering. At least on me, they aren’t! I’ve never seen that bulge before in my life!

DSC08993.jpg

I passed Steve on the way out, and he yelled, “Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.” My husband knows me. He knows that I’m always running late, trying to hurry, and messing things up. Yes, I’m 5.So, what did I do? I took the first transition extremely slow. I just wanted to have a good time during the transitions, not hurry so much that I would actually forget something, then give my all for the actual bike and run portions. Well, it turns out that there is such thing as being too “smooth.” My first transition time was around 8 minutes. Yikes, I had no idea I was being that slow. I guess I shouldn’t have tried to talk to people while they were transitioning too? Heh.

DSC09013.jpg DSC09016.jpg

DSC09019.jpg

Bike: 27 miles (1:50)

The race directors had decided to shorten the course again for race day. It ended up being 27 miles instead of 32 like I had expected. It took me 10 minutes of being on the bike to get my heart race and breathing under control. For some reason, I just couldn’t get enough air. It could have been the immediate hill (a.k.a. mountain) that I had to climb immediately after getting on the bike, I don’t know. Once I calmed myself down a little, I laid the hammer down, and I only passed a handful of people. I did, however, get passed A LOT! Have I mentioned that there were only 5 women doing this course? I forgot about this during the bike and started to feel a little wimpy. Then, I would just remind myself that I was giving my all, and that was simply all I could do. As you can see, it was just a tad hilly…

Screen shot 2010-06-29 at 8.42.20 AM.png

The spectators were amazing for the bike portion. Every single time a German cheering squad would cheer for me or drunk Germans out having a picnic would start singing some Irish song when I passed, I would start crying. I just couldn’t believe this was my last race in Germany. I was enjoying every bit of it. I was happy crying because I was so thankful for my life at that moment. Trust me, I know how lucky I am. I even had to yell at myself at one point, “Nicole, come on! Get your shit together! Save your crying for the end!”

DSC09069.jpg DSC09071.jpg DSC09073.jpg

Steve kept saying that every single time I would run through transition, that I had a goofy smile on my face. I guess this is it. I was ecstatic to be out there!

DSC09076.jpg

Run: 8.5 miles (1:24)

The next transition went a lot faster! I threw my helmet and gloves off, slipped into my running shoes, shoved my Clif Bloks and chapstick down my sports bra, and took off.

I had 5 laps to go. It was an exciting run course, but not that exciting that you would want to do it more than 2 times, let alone 5 times. I was breathing really hard, yet again, at the beginning of the new sport. I could not get my legs to work. They were stiff, and every step was oozing in pain. My big toenails hurt so bad, and I had no idea why since I clipped them a few days earlier. I can’t even describe it, it was so uncomfortable.

Screen shot 2010-06-29 at 8.44.49 AM.png

My original goal was to stick to my marathon pace of around 8:30-8:40 min/miles, but the fastest my legs would go was an average of 9:55 min/mile. I guess that is what I get for hardly running for the past couple of months. Traveling was my number one priority, and I don’t regret taking some time off from training for some last minute traveling in Germany, Italy, Greece, and Croatia before we moved back to the states.

Done with lap 1…
DSC09101.jpg DSC09102.jpg DSC09103.jpg
Done with lap 2… Ope, there’s my goofy smile again…
DSC09148.jpg DSC09153.jpg DSC09159.jpg

I was in so much pain running especially with the hills, I just wanted to walk. After the 3rd lap, I just kept telling myself to just make it to the last lap. Everything will be better until the last lap. I can run the last lap for sure.

DSC09181.jpg DSC09184.jpg DSC09186.jpg

I had just gotten done with 4 laps at this point in the pics below, and I was gesturing one more lap of torture!

DSC09210.jpg DSC09211.jpg DSC09212.jpg

Done!! Goofy smile still intact with a time of 3:39. I’m not happy with the run or swim time in particular, but that is what the next race is for!

DSC09217.jpg DSC09219.jpg DSC09220.jpg
DSC09222.jpg DSC09223.jpg DSC09225.jpg

After handing in all of my bracelets and timing apparatus, I hugged Steve and started crying uncontrollably. Steve knew that this was normal, but I was extra sentimental since I was jumping on a plane the next day to move back to the states. I enjoyed every part of this race, even the pain. This was a great race to do for my first race (last year), and the second time around for the longer distance. The whole village comes out to cheer people on and pass out water. Everyone was so encouraging.

DSC09236.jpg

I do have some thanks in order:

To my EXTREMELY supportive husband: Thank you for pulling me together to do this race. I love you. Thank you for always being my number one supporter! And thank you for being my sherpa and the paparazzi that day. :)

To my friends and training partners: Thanks for dragging me along on those hilly bike rides, runs, and swims. My bike time this year surprised the crap out of me since I was a lot faster than last year. Katie, thanks for lending me the much needed little items the morning of the race and always believing in me and my abilities. Leah, without your bike, I would have been screwed! Thanks so much!!!

Germans: Thank you for your sense of humor or sometimes lack of humor (which actually makes things even funnier). Your rules are really funny like requiring a t-shirt for men who were competing in the run, but allowing complete nudity in the transition area. I will miss random people peeing out in public and bare breasts, butts, and other random body parts!

Afterwards, we all went over to Katie’s house for a shindig. Steve made the best Mojitos ever from scratch, and I proceeded to enjoy my last night after 2 1/2 years in Germany. The picture taking frequency started to fade as the amount of Mojitos consumed increased. Sorry!!

DSC09241.jpg

It was a great day, and I couldn’t ask for a better day for my last day in Germany! Tschuss!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) June 29, 2010, 5:38 pm

Awesome! You look way to happy to have done that race though 😉

• Jessica @ How Sweet June 29, 2010, 5:39 pm

Girl, you are seriously amazing and so inspiring. I got chills reading this post. You are awesome!

Now, I am glad you are moving to the states and gonna be a lil’ closer to me. 😉

• Graze With Me June 29, 2010, 6:05 pm

Congrats on your last race! I’m laughing about the complete nudity thing – I saw more naked men in public the 3 weeks I was in Germany than I’ve ever seen in the US.

Mojitos sound so good right about now….

• Nichole June 29, 2010, 6:05 pm

You should be so incredibly proud of yourself. This recap was exactly what I need to finally get my butt up and sign up for a triathlon. I have the same fears and your thoughts during each part of the course were so helpful! Glad your husband was there to document your AMAZING win!

Thank you so much for sharing all the details. You are tremendous. Just fantastic to read how well you did!!

• Nicole June 30, 2010, 2:21 pm

Girl, you could so do a triathlon if I can!

• nutritious foodie June 29, 2010, 6:08 pm

I guess you are on the plane right now on your way back to the States. Way to go on your last tri… I don’t know too many people who would do what you did the day before they move :)

• adrienmelaine June 29, 2010, 6:22 pm

You’re amazing- it must be so weird being back in the states after your time away, especially having finished you time there the way you did.

I’m so inspired by you doing triathlons, I’d love to do one, but the open water swim freaks me out too much at this point to even give it a go.

Hope you had an easy journey back home!

• Tammy June 29, 2010, 6:27 pm

Fantastic job! Your post had me teary, partially because I’m ex-pat from canada living in Scotland,soon to return home and particularly because it’s so inspiring. As someone who’s trying to get fit and healthy and working on the athlete part I completely enjoy reading posts like this! Right now I’m trying to balance enjoying my time here/travel and training-your words are comforting and helpful and make an impact! You should be very proud!
    Tammy :-)

• lindsay June 29, 2010, 6:46 pm

Looks like you had a great time. Gotta love the wetsuit dance. Those things make you fast in the water. Be safe and have fun with the hubs!

• Alanna @ Blood, Sweat and Cupcakes June 29, 2010, 6:47 pm

Your race/event recaps are always so beautifully expressive and emotionally evocative! I had chills reading this one :) So glad you got out there and enjoyed your last event (for now, you never know!) in Germany!

You look beaming in those pictures with your hubby! Good luck with the move Nicole.

• Nicole June 30, 2010, 2:23 pm

Aww, thank you!! Yeah, I hesitated typing out “the last time” since you never know with the military!

• Lisa June 29, 2010, 7:14 pm

Awesome pictures!! I am still scared of the chaotic open swim aspect of the tri but it didn’t look too bad for you…no one seemed to be swimming right on top of you….

• Erica June 29, 2010, 7:19 pm

CONGRATSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I think you look fabulous! Great job completing the race- what a way to leave Germany. Hope you’re safe an sound and happy back in the US!!

• Jess June 29, 2010, 11:26 pm

AWESOME job on the triathalon! I’m just catching upon your blog now, and this might actually be my first blog comment to you. I guess I’ve been “lurking” for the most part up until this point.I have to say, I’ve loved following your journey and am amazed by how strong you’ve been throughout, and so glad your husband is home and safe. Enjoy every minute. :)

• Nicole June 30, 2010, 2:23 pm

Thanks for commenting and coming out of “hiding.” :)

• Nicole June 30, 2010, 12:04 am

Nicole, You are such an inspiration!!! You are one strong chicka!! Great job on the triathalon. What a sweetie of a husband you have.
    Have a safe trip back to the States. :)

• Abby June 30, 2010, 12:23 am

GREAT JOB!!!

I would freak in open water. Awesome that you were able to control that!!!

I’m excited for you to move back to the states, even if you’ll be nowhere near me! I like the thought of being on the same continent as you!

• Nicole June 30, 2010, 2:29 pm

Thanks!! Me too! xoxoxo!

• Lisa @ Early Morning Run June 30, 2010, 1:14 am

Wow, I just found your blog and I’m so sad I’ve missed all your European adventures! i’m definitely going to have to go back and read some posts.

Congrats on the race! I am in awe of anyone who completes a triathalon. I don’t think I could ever finish one! It’s pretty incredible.

Hope your move back to the states is going smoothly and that you get to start doing races over here soon!

• Nicole June 30, 2010, 2:32 pm

You are totally capable of competing in one!!! There are shorter ones that you can start off doing. Trust me, if I can do them, YOU can too!! Trust me on this one! You are so much stronger than you give yourself credit for. 😉

• Angela @ A Healthy Fit June 30, 2010, 2:35 am

I’m 100% convinced that wetsuits look horrible on everyone. Congrats on your race! What a great way to spend your last day in Germany. I went to Germany for the first time this year in fell in love. You are so lucky that you lived there for 2 years.

• Charisa June 30, 2010, 4:20 am

Congrats on your race! I love all the pictures and your smile!

• Marisa June 30, 2010, 10:25 am

GO Nicole! You are AWESOME! Congrats on the race! I’m so happy that we met, you are truly an inspiration. I look fwd to reading your stateside race posts.

• Faith June 30, 2010, 1:56 pm

I’m so glad you decided to participate in this race! It was so meaningful and you have so much to be proud of.

• Tea June 30, 2010, 3:35 pm

hahahahah! I was laughing at the guy in the red and white shirt!

That was a fantastic report! I love all the pictures your paparazi took. (:

(btw—I was wondering if you would mind if I give your email address to a friend who I think could benefit from the gluten free diet. I’ve been talking to her about. She has all of the symptoms that you used to have. I think she’s afraid of doing it because it requires alot of work).

• Ashlei July 1, 2010, 3:22 am

Congrats!!! Great job pushing through even when you wanted to walk and in the open water. The open water part of Tri seems daunting to me

• Lindsay July 1, 2010, 6:27 pm

Awesome job! The guy looking at your butt is too hillarious! I can’t stop laughing at it. It’s even better that he’s caught on tape! Ha! I bet that was a scary feeling being pulled under. Yikes. Good thing it was your pal!

• Kathy July 2, 2010, 2:21 am

Nicole,

Why were you living in Germany for 2 1/2 years and why are you returning to the states? What part of Germany did you live in?

Kathy

• Nicole July 2, 2010, 2:44 pm

My hubs is in the AF, and we move every 2-3 years. That is just the way it is. We lived near Kaiserslautern. 😉

• Marcie July 2, 2010, 3:18 pm

I love your blog down here in Atlanta, Ga. You inspire me and I wish I had your awesome curly hair. Welcome back to the Satess

• TorontoGirloutWest July 2, 2010, 5:02 pm

What a GREAT recap!!!! And most importantly, what an awesome swan song for your time in Germany!

Congratulations on another tri! ?

BTW – I may be in your area a couple of weekends from now. I’ll keep you posted!

• pen (pen at peace) July 7, 2010, 2:31 am

I know I’m late…but, great race!!! And way to stay tough on that bike course, it looks beautiful, but brutal!

Also, I think I would be such a better triathlete if I got to race at 11am. or 6pm. But, welcome back (soon) to waking up at 4am for race day in the US! :)

• Dawn July 7, 2010, 9:35 am

Nice work! It sounds like you had an awesome time, too. That is one MONSTER bike course, though. My legs are sore just thinking about it!

• Caitlin July 8, 2010, 5:03 am

I’ve said it before and I will say it again: you are AMAZING. Inspiring, too. I mean, your athletic abilities and the fact that you do it all with a SMILE on your face are something I need to remember when I am feeling defeated by a workout. I am so glad you finished and that you are back in the states with us now!