Eastern Med Cruise 2010: Mykonos, Greece – Geek Turned Athlete

Eastern Med Cruise 2010: Mykonos, Greece

First off, sorry it has been so long since I blogged. My brother-in-law was in a parachuting accident over the weekend (he is not paralyzed, but will be in a wheelchair for 3 months), and between consoling the sis, getting ready to move back to the states, and getting ready for the Tuscan cycling trip that we are on right now, blogging has taken the back burner. I did have time yesterday on the flight to Florence to put together our Mykonos recap for you all to enjoy though!

If you are new to the blog, the husband and I went on an Eastern Med Cruise on Norwegian Cruise Lines, and this is the 5th installment of our trip recaps. If you missed the previous stops on the cruise, check them out!!

According to our freestyle daily:

“Along the whitewashed streets stand brilliant whit box-shaped houses with stepped walls for sitting on, wooden doors and windows with brightly colored balconies. These are interspersed with small but impressive churches, pretty little taverns, and shops selling souvenirs and other goods. It gives you an overall sense of what it’s like being inside a film set.”

An that is exactly what it felt like. A movie set. It was absolutely breathtaking.

After taking a tender from our cruise ship to the shore we walked the streets just window shopping and exploring.

We started off checking out the ocean temperature, and I tried to make friends with a duck. It did not work very well.

DSC07673.jpg DSC07674.jpg

Did I mention that Steve was laughing at me? Yes, I provide the entertainment on our vacations. As a matter of fact, I provide most of the entertainment in our daily lives!

DSC07680.jpg

Steve, trying to act like he wasn’t with me…

DSC07687.JPG DSC07689.JPG
We came across some fresh octopus…
DSC07695.JPG DSC07696.JPG
DSC07705.jpg DSC07709.jpg
DSC07714.jpg DSC07713.jpg

We stumbled upon this cute little bar that absolutely no one was at. We immediately headed for the best seat in the house, the balcony.

DSC07720.jpg DSC07716.jpg

The best iced coffee that I have ever had in my life… I completely broke the vegan rule here as well, but considering that they only had bread to snack on, it was either this or have a stomachache for the next 2 days.

Just people watching and relaxing…

We noticed that there were tons of cats everywhere!

DSC07755.JPG DSC07758.JPG
DSC07782.jpg
DSC07794.jpg

This, by far, was our favorite island of all the ones that we visited on this cruise plus the Canary Islands and the Azores.

Next up: Iraklion, Crete

Have you ever been to Mykonos?

• Jessica @ How Sweet June 2, 2010, 12:45 pm

That is so scary! I am glad he is ok even if he needs to be in a wheelchair for a few months,

Greece is so beautiful! It’s the one place I really want to go.

• Erica June 2, 2010, 12:52 pm

oh my gosh! I’m so glad your brother in law is ok! How scary. More beautiful pictures. The water looks incredible. And I love your dress. um those iced coffees look totally rule-breaking worthy :)

• Alanna @ Blood, Sweat & Cupcakes. June 2, 2010, 1:44 pm

I can’t get over how beautiful every little corner of those photos are, you must of had a wonderfully romantic time :)

Very scary about your brother-in-law, a few months in a wheel-chair is much better than a lifetime however. Glad he is on the mend.

• Annie D. from Annie'sSimpleLife June 2, 2010, 3:52 pm

OH GOODNESS!!!!!!!! :o/

I can NOT get over how blue that water is. Beautiful.

• Heather (Where's the Beach) June 2, 2010, 4:06 pm

So glad to hear that your BIL will be ok. How scary! Absolutely gorgeous pictures. Love that dress btw!

• Kim June 2, 2010, 4:23 pm

Wow, again beautiful photos! And I love that dress!

• Kacy June 2, 2010, 4:52 pm

So, so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law, he and your fam will be in my thoughts.

Your trip looks fabulous and that green dress of yours is gorgeous!!

• Anne June 2, 2010, 5:11 pm

Never been there, but it was on our holiday planning list, Aozres were also there. I really want to visit both, maybe next summer 😉

Beautiful pictures, I especially like the white brick houses in Mykonos (and Santorini) :)

• adrienmelaine June 2, 2010, 5:59 pm

Your brother in law is so lucky! I’m sorry to hear there was an accident, but three months in a wheel chair is better than a lifetime.. I hope he heals fast and that you’ll get to see him soon enough!

Greece looks amazing- I don’t know whether I’d want to head there or Spain for my next trip.. decisions, decisions

• polwig June 2, 2010, 6:35 pm

No Myconos yet.. maybe soon… it looks amazing. great pictures

• Lindsey @ Foodie on the Rocks June 2, 2010, 7:07 pm

The photos in town remind me so much of Seville, Spain! So bright and summery! I can’t wait to get to Greece! Great pics! Glad your brother in law’s going to be OK!

• Kendel June 2, 2010, 11:32 pm

Wow, these are lovely photos. You look like a model in that flowing dress against the light city. It looks like your husband couldn’t keep his lens off you all day! Just stunning!

• Pure2raw twins June 3, 2010, 4:49 am

OMG sorry to hear about your brother-in-law, so scary. I will keep him and you, and your family in my prayers!!

beautiful pics!! I am so jealous ; )

• Faith @ LovelyAsCharged June 3, 2010, 1:57 pm

Oh no! I’m glad the injury wasn’t permanent. Hope he recovers quickly. And have I mentioned how lucky you are to see all these gorgeous things? I’m incredibly jealous.

• TorontoGirloutWest June 4, 2010, 3:26 am

First of all I’m incredibly sorry to hear about the accident. Your family is in my prayers!!! ?

And second of all – you make me want to go on a cruise. Like right now!!!

• claire June 13, 2010, 8:04 am

I am so behind lady, but I am so sorry to hear this about your brother in law. Mykonos looks and sounds so ideal and I hope to go in the future. I have yet to go that far east in europe!

• Melinda June 13, 2010, 3:17 pm

wow, what beautiful pictures! Makes me want to go on a Mediterranean cruise right now! Love your dress as well! :)