Roma 2010: Part 1 – Geek Turned Athlete

Roma 2010: Part 1

DSC07989.jpg

This is a continuation of our vacation pics from our cruise that we went on about a month ago. Just in case you missed them, here are my cruise tidbits:

When we got back to Venice from our cruise, we chose to catch a flight to Rome and spend a few days there including a day trip to Pompeii. It was absolutely amazing. Obviously, one of the first places that we hit up was the colosseum!

A tour group approached us right outside of the colosseum, and asked if we spoke English, and we said yes. Then, they offered us a tour package that included the colosseum and the Palatine Hill. It was for a good price, and we got to bypass the 2 1/2 hour wait in line and walk right into the colosseum. Our tour guide was very informative and actually interested in the history. That always makes things more exciting, doesn’t it?

DSC06806.JPG DSC06809.JPG

After a bunch of touring, we set off for lunch. I have to say that although I love all of the historical monuments and just the rich history that you feel the second you walk into the city, it is DIRTY! Graffiti is everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE. The subways are disgusting. Maybe I’m not a city girl? You see that white jacket that I am wearing above? Yeah, the back of it was beige by the time we went home. Gross!

There was a lot of making out though. We did feel the love in the city. Too bad I was afraid of catching some STD on the metro. That kinda killed the mood for me…

We finally found lunch…

DSC06888.JPG DSC06889.JPG

And wine. I love how you can find a bottle wine easier than a bottle of water in Europe. Is that a bad thing?

DSC06893.JPG DSC06894.JPG DSC06895.JPG

A bunch of food THAT looked amazing THAT had gluten in it THAT I couldn’t eat. Blah.

More food that I couldn’t eat. It looked really good though.

Off to Vatican City…

St. Peter’s Basilica… They say that if you spent one minute looking at every artifact, it would take you 12 years to view it all!

Here was part of a mass that started while we were in there:

We wanted to go up in that…

So, we did.

Then, more stairs up: Please excuse my horrible video skills and scatter brained commentary!
For these next two, you might have to turn your head to the left a little. Sorry!

Then, back down 500+ stairs we had to walk to get to the bottom!

These were the faces of people happy to find a bathroom halfway down from the top. That is, until we found the toilet…

Actually, it kinda reminded me of our trip to Morocco, but this one did not stink as badly.

DSC06941.JPG DSC06971_2.JPG

DSC06980_2.JPG

DSC06977_2.JPG

DSC06982_2.JPG DSC06988.JPG

DSC06981_2.JPG

Thirsty? Just take a sip from all of the completely drinkable fountains that are all over the city. :)

Do you remember that diamond commercial where the guy proposes to his girlfriend on the Spanish Steps, and her family is there watching? And it is totally romantic and you want to cry? I hate to burst your bubble, but these are the Spanish Steps. NOT SO romantic now, is it?

Steve, of course, got excited when he saw this. Romantic, isn’t it? Just kidding. Well, it was for him, okay?

The Pantheon, getting a face-lift…

And we had a little happy hour in front of it. 😉

DSC07020.JPG DSC07025.JPG

I may or may not have been a little tipsy already while making this video.  Don’t judge!

Have you ever been to Rome?  If you have, what was your favorite thing to see or eat (or drink, hehe)?  If you haven’t been, what would you want to see there?

• Leah @ Simply Fabulous June 14, 2010, 1:06 pm

I have loved all of your photos & videos from your trip! You and your Husband look so in love and look like you have so much fun together :)

• Nicole June 14, 2010, 1:11 pm

You are so sweet! We always have fun wherever we are. Unless we are hungry. That is a different story! haha

• Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life June 14, 2010, 1:13 pm

THANK YOU for sharing your beautiful pictures and videos!!!

(that toilet…. oh dear. I would not do well…)

• healthy ashley June 14, 2010, 2:51 pm

That toilet! LOL I wouldn’t bring a newspaper in there!

You did a fantastic job blogging a great trip!

• Erica June 14, 2010, 3:54 pm

It must feel surreal to be there! looks incredible. Bummer that its so dirty though! Your hair looks great. Beautiful natural curls :)

• Katie H June 14, 2010, 4:51 pm

I really reallly want to get to Rome. One of these days! Wine more accessible than water? Sign me up! 😀 I am taking a trip with my girlfriends next February and we are torn between Greece and Croatia- would you recommend one over the other? We want culture and great food 😀

Love all of the pics and videos!

• Nicole June 14, 2010, 5:35 pm

Hmmm. Very hard choice. If I had to choose, Greece would be it though! You saw my Mykonos pics, right?

• Katie H. June 14, 2010, 9:30 pm

I did- they are stunning! Now that you mention it, I’m going to forward the link to the post to my friends.

• genesis June 14, 2010, 5:10 pm

fun pictures. i hate when cities that are all propped up to be so pretty and all in pictures and movies, actually turns out to be really gross and dirty…such a let down. so did you end up using that poor excuse for a bathroom?

• Nicole June 14, 2010, 5:34 pm

Why yes I did! When nature calls…

Oh, and I’ve got some more bathroom pics that are worse than that coming up in a few posts!

• Marisa June 14, 2010, 5:22 pm

I liked Rome but did not like that it was so dirty! I love your pictures! They make me want to go back! What a wonderful way to spend time with each other after a deployment. As for the toilet….don’t ever get stationed in Japan (but at least the Japanese play music to help you go).

• Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 14, 2010, 5:28 pm

Having gone to Paris just over 2 years ago, I can’t wait to make my next trip back to Europe! I love all the beauty, history, food, wine and just walking around enjoying the day. Great pictures!

• Nrmrvrk June 14, 2010, 6:14 pm

Fantastic photos, I hope to go back to Europe some day and see Italy.

I have to side with your husband on the Gallardo though. 500+ BHP and 0-60 in < 4 seconds is a little sexy. So did someone just park it on the street? It's strange that you mostly see them in the loud "LOOK AT ME RIGHT NOW!!!!" colors like Orange and day-glow Green.

• Nicole June 14, 2010, 6:17 pm

Yep. We must have seen like 2-3 just parked. Crazy.

• Nichole June 14, 2010, 6:17 pm

You have fantastic travel hair, fyi:)

Are you planning on doing anything special with the mecca of amazing pics you are taking?! You need a massive wall montage.

These personal pics make me want to visit Europe far more than any post card or travel site. It’s great to see you two just running the town(s)!

• Abby June 14, 2010, 10:04 pm

I am BURNING with jealousy right now. Rome is my dream!

• Faith June 14, 2010, 11:28 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! Your blog is fabulous — and wow, what an incredible trip! It must have been amazing to visit all those places that have so much history.

• claire June 15, 2010, 12:38 am

I went to Rome the first time one summer when I was 16 and I loved it. We had the best meal right by the Pantheon in the city but I can’t remember where! I prefer the rest of Tuscany, especially the smaller cities like Montepulciano, Sienna, etc. but the country is just amazing. Florence is heavenly too! You look so relaxed and happy in the last video…even if it was the wine!

• Pure2raw twins June 15, 2010, 2:35 am

I love Rome. Great pics!! I want to go back. And yes I drank way more wine than water. Actually not sure if I ever had water, haha.

• Effie@greektomato June 15, 2010, 2:57 pm

Italy is beautiful. My favourite italian city is Florence, probably because of the thousand ice cream shops :)
    As for the post you did for Greece (I m Greek), yes the guy with the octopus is tenderizing it. In big organised fish farms, they have machines for that because you cannot eat it otherwise.

I m so happy you visit Greece and you had such a good time. It was very interesting to read how a foreigner sees my country.
    And your pictures are amazing!

• lucy June 15, 2010, 8:30 pm

Thanks Nikki for the beautiful pictures and especially the video of mass at the vatican. Rome is one place we never saw while we lived in greece. I know for a fact that visiting different countries is exciting, but when you visit with the one you love, this is something that you will have in your mind and heart forever.

can’t wait to see you and steve soon!
    love grandma

• Theresa O'Brien June 16, 2010, 12:27 am

I love Rome. I lived there for 6 weeks taking Art History for summer school in college. It was amazing. I actually just bought tickets today for a trip to Italy in August with my best friend! I am so excited!

The best restaurant was right below our apartment on Via Simone Simoni and Viale delle Medaglie d’Oro. It was pretty much the only restaurant right there but I dont know what it was called. The best Gellato was Millennium off the Cipro stop, it was a local place not really touristy.

It looks like you had an amazing time! I can’t wait to go back :)

I love that pic of you by the fountain, I know exactly where that is!

Theresa

• elyne June 16, 2010, 4:37 pm

Ahaha, I have to say this!
    One of my FAVORITE things about rome/europe/the metro was that I COULD liberally ahem, “show affection” without feeling strange or out of place at all! Like it was totally normal!

Just thought the opposing perspectives were amusin 😉 haha
    <3elyne.

• Sand Sock Girl June 18, 2010, 2:11 pm

What can I say? Your post was a pow wow! I really enjoyed watching the photos. As much as you enjoyed Rome as well. You are awesome! A BIG thanks for sharing your life with us :)