A Little Stress Release – Geek Turned Athlete

A Little Stress Release

As I stated in the last post, I am loving my job of playing auntie and caregiver here in Albuquerque, NM for the past couple of weeks. I will surely miss my little angels (okay, they aren’t angels, but they are cute) when I leave to start my new adventure by moving to Spokane, WA on Monday.

I’m feeling a little anxious because I still haven’t seen our house yet in Spokane. I’m supposed to see the house we picked out online for the first time on Monday, then sign on the dotted line if I like it. Steve saw it this week, and he said he liked it, but he wasn’t sure of what I would think.

I feel a little in limbo with no house, no boxes (I have to wait a couple months for them to be shipped from overseas), NO bike (with household goods), no idea of what classes I’m taking next semester since my advisor passed away in April, no semi-consistent training since I finished my Paris Marathon, no cell phone until potentially the end of July (Verizon is on backorder for the Incredible).

Training wise, I’m not feel very consistent or strong for that matter. Family comes first after all, and pretty soon I will be back in a routine when I get to my new home. I have my first Half Ironman in September, and to be honest, I’m kinda freaking out with the lack of consistent training with the huge move back to the states from Germany not to mention the lack of training before we moved because we wanted to get a lot of traveling in! Ahhhhh!

I’m anxious to start my new life in the states after living in Germany for the past 2 1/2 years, and it just seems to be taking forever! I need to be patient. It will come soon enough. At least that is what I keep telling myself. :)

To calm some of this stress down just a little, my sister and I actually got out of the house today for a spin class.

I rode hard, and I rode strong. My legs hurt so bad halfway through the class. Vomit made it’s way up to my throat and I swallowed it down as sweat poured from my face. A smile creeped onto my face. I’m not saying this because I’m badass, I’m saying it because I think I’m crazy. I loved every tortuous moment of spin class. :)

It helped a lot. I didn’t feel like a soft piece of lazy mush afterward that I started with. Instead, I felt like a sweaty sand bag. Better in my book. 😉

My sis and me right after class…

After spin, I rushed home and jumped into the shower. One of my best, best, best friends, Jessica picked me up for sushi. We met up with my friend, Pilar, who I hadn’t seen in forever! It was great to catch up with old friends for the night.

My run in the foothills at 6,000 feet got postponed until tomorrow. I’ll be running with my cuz, Caly, and our run on Monday S.U.C.K.E.D. Imagine rolling hills and suffocation. It hurt oh so good. There will be more of that tomorrow. I’ll be looking forward to it. :)

Thanks for letting me vent. 😉

• Marisa July 7, 2010, 11:14 pm

I’m so jealous you ate sushi! 😛 I totally know what you mean about feeling stressed out with the move – even though we’re not leaving Europe, I’m getting anxious of moving. I want to hurry things up and be done with the pack/unpacking. Hopefully you like the house, I’m sure it’s beautiful :)

• Erica July 8, 2010, 2:07 am

I totally know how you feel in terms of the exercise and I can only imagine how much more stressed you feel given the move and the whole situation! You will get back at it all in no time! You and your sis are adorable. Glad you got in a good workout and a nice dinner with friends

• lindsay July 8, 2010, 3:44 am

Buying a house without even seeing it, thats a little scary but I am sure it perfect for you. These changes will be GOOD! Its always nerve racking but in the end, it makes you a stronger person, right?

• Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life July 8, 2010, 4:12 am

OHMYGOODNESS you girls look so much alike! I look like my sister, too!

Washington is great. My brother in law used to live there and we went to visit. It’s beautiful!

• Tiffany July 8, 2010, 5:18 am

It’s a huge change getting back home, I’m afraid. I’m glad that you’ve been able to keep so busy, though! Have you gotten agitated with drivers back in the States yet? Me in the first two weeks getting back, driving on the highway: *FIST OF RAGE!*. No more yellow light to tell you that it’s going to turn green, no more drivers literally passing in the left lane, then returning to the right lane. *Le sigh*

That anxiety is totally normal, especially with so many balls in the air. Concentrate on the things that you CAN control. :)

• Nicole @ Making Good Choices July 8, 2010, 5:20 am

I can imagine how anxious you must be! I think I would be going crazy, but you seem to be handling it so well. Sometimes things are just out of our control and we just have to roll with it, at least you know the end (or the beginning?) is in sight!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) July 8, 2010, 5:58 am

A good, hard workout sure can help with stress sometimes can’t it?! I don’t know how you’re managing right now b/c I’d totally be freaking out and stressed beyond repair. I hope the house ends up being one that you really like.

• Nichole July 8, 2010, 6:22 am

The grass may always seem greener in Germany but I am sure your family lvoes having you home! Sounds like you are finding more than enough to do:)

But since you left Germany, they’re out of the World Cup?! Agh:(

• genesis July 8, 2010, 8:06 am

you’ll like spokane. its got the city feel but also a small town feel to it. its not overly crowded, and the downtown/riverfront is beautiful. the city is really active too. and youre not too far from Coeur d alene, ID which has some great races and stuff. oh yeah, shopping is not bad either :)

• Kacy July 8, 2010, 10:07 am

I would say your training aint’s too shabby with hardcore spinning and altitude runs thrown into the mix :)

• Abby July 8, 2010, 10:51 am

You and your sis are gorgeous!!

Glad you got to workout some of that stress! I’ll be praying for you and all of your transitions! I know it will all work out!

• Jacquie July 8, 2010, 11:16 am

Just keeping riding along my dear. You’re doing wonderfully and you’re right, everything will work out!

PS: there’s always my extra bed over here if you want to get away too for a visit :)

• adrienmelaine July 8, 2010, 11:36 am

Are you going to Gonzaga? I have a girlfriend playing soccer for the Uni’s team.

Don’t worry if this house isn’t your dream home. You don’t have to sign on the dotted line if you don’t like it, it’ll just take a little while longer, you’ll find something you love eventually.

But it could be an adventure turning it into a place that you love!

• Jess July 8, 2010, 12:01 pm

WOW! That’s a whole lotta upheaval you got going on there! I think I’d be a total wreck myself but you sound like you’re handling it SO WELL which is amazing to me. So look at it that way – you know how to handle upheaval like nobody’s business. :) I LOVE the comment about how hard you rode in spin, I LOVE that feeling of pushing yourself so hard you could quite literally vomit. I guess that makes us both certifiable 😉 Hang in there!

• Faith @ LovelyAsCharged July 8, 2010, 5:21 pm

You are hardcore, lady! What a great effort for your workout though!

• Laurie July 8, 2010, 7:37 pm

Hi-
    I just found your blog. Great tri story. I love reading about the pain. I’ve done 2 Sprint tri’s and as I read yours, I’m laughing thinking “why do we do this?”
    My thoughts are with your brother in law, I hope things go well for him.
    Happy to find you. Good luck w/ the move.

• Nicole July 9, 2010, 8:16 am

Thanks for reading! Welcome!

• La Historiadora de Moda July 8, 2010, 8:16 pm

Transitions like that are hard. I remember how difficult it was when I moved back to the states from Spain and I wasn’t training for any races or buying a house in a new place at the time. I wish you well! Enjoy your run with your cousin!

• MizFit July 9, 2010, 3:08 am

how flipping cute are you two.

this all makes me miss my sister…

• Pure2raw twins July 11, 2010, 10:41 am

WOW you and your sister are beautiful!!!

Hope your new place is everything and more ; )

• Nicole July 11, 2010, 12:56 pm

Thank you!! I have yet to see it. Monday. 😉

• Sand Sock Girl July 12, 2010, 1:38 am

Wow! I bet you enjoyed the sushi! What a great stress reliever :)

• Lindsay July 13, 2010, 5:28 pm

Hi Nicole,

I just stumbled upon your blog through the triathlon world. I’ve done a couple sprints, but I’m currently trying to channel my inner runner (I know it’s in there somewhere)

I actually live in Spokane. It’s a great place to live and there are many opportunities to be active. If you need any tips or suggestions, please let me know!

Cheers,