Hello New Pool! – Geek Turned Athlete

Hello New Pool!

This weekend was great! I got to spend some time with the hubs which is always nice, saw Inception (Freaking Incredible!!!!!  You need to see this movie!), and I got in some great workouts! Plus, we got our volunteer on, and worked the Air Show for a few hours Saturday morning. The hubs is second in charge at his squadron so it was kind of expected of us to be there and set a good example (which we did!). It was actually fun, and I got to meet more people from the squadron. I may have picked up some running and riding partners!!

DSC07600.JPG DSC07609.JPG

We also joined the YMCA this weekend, and I got to check out the pool that I will be mostly using when we move into our house (Wednesday, hopefully!). It is only 5 minutes away from our house!  It is a little drab even though it is new, but they have a swim suit spinner!!! The pool that I swam at in Germany was brand new and did not have one of these, and you don’t realize how useful and nice they are to have until you don’t have them! So, here is my new swimming home:

It’s only a 25 yard long pool instead of a 25 meter, but it does the job. I dragged my husband there with me, and we got a good workout in between trying to pull at each other’s legs and pulling each other under. We probably looked like teenage lovers flirting like crazy to the lifeguards, but we’ve been together 6 years and are just really immature. 😉

Oh, and I thought that I would also introduce you to my “chamber of cycling hell” until my bike gets here with the rest of our household goods from Germany. It looks like I won’t be getting my bike until the 9th of August. Not that much longer! I’ve been riding in here admist a bunch of broken/ no clip-in bikes (except for one that I’m using) for 1-2 hour increments for the past two weeks.

This is my view from the bike. Yeah, not that interesting. Well, unless someone comes in the room to stretch or something, and then I get some entertainment that way. I wish I at least had a mirror in front of me so I could watch myself. At least that would keep me entertained for about 30 minutes of my ride. haha. Just kidding.  Kind of.  😉

Yeah, I MISS my bike and riding OUTSIDE!!! But, beggars can’t be choosers, and I will do what I need to do (which is ride in here) until I get anyone’s bike to borrow or mine comes in.

Speaking of, I have found a bike to borrow. All I need to do is get it tuned up, and I will be on the roads once again. I heard it was heavy, but at this point, my bike won’t be here in time for my next triathlon coming up, and I haven’t been outside riding in a month! I think that I may only have a few more horrifically boring rides in here, then I will be outside!

Oh, and I also wanted to say thanks to all the great comments to my “mental health days” post!  I was sort of debating even putting that post up, but I’m glad I did!  I thought that was great that I wasn’t alone!

It’s a new week, peeps! You have a clean slate. Start it off right!!

• Katy @MonsterProof July 26, 2010, 1:24 pm

Not quite the same thing as ya’ll pulling each other under (fun!), but one of my favorite work-outs with my water polo teams was when we’d swim laps in pairs and one person was the arms, and one person was holding her ankles, and being the legs. Isolated muscles and added weight!

• Erica July 26, 2010, 1:25 pm

hooray to having access to a pool, bikes, a gym, etc! Cute pics of you and the man. Glad this weekend was much better and I hope the moving goes smooothly

• Tina July 26, 2010, 1:53 pm

When you tweeted that quote earlier it put a huge smile on my face. :)

And I hope you get a bike arrangement set up. I couldn’t imagine not having one of my favorite pieces of equipment for that length of time.

• Matt July 26, 2010, 2:09 pm

New gyms are always exciting :) You are training for a half ironman right? Would you mind sharing your training plan with me?

• Nicole July 26, 2010, 2:12 pm

It’s up under my training schedule tab. 😉

It is sort of a combination of several plans that I found online.

• Lisa July 26, 2010, 2:21 pm

That’s a nice looking pool!!

• Faith July 26, 2010, 2:29 pm

I’m glad you mentioned Inception my hubby and I were thinking of seeing it…now I definitely want to! I had to laugh about your “chamber of cycling hell”! I totally know what you mean! :)

• TorontoGirloutWest July 26, 2010, 2:36 pm

Your pool looks nice even if it is small! :)

And yaaay for an early move-in date! That must be exciting!!!

• Lisa (bakebikeblog) July 26, 2010, 2:55 pm

What a lovely clean pool! And not too busy – just the way I like it!!!

• Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes July 26, 2010, 3:01 pm

I don’t know how you do it but you somehow manage to make a swim cap look good! I always thought that was impossible! :)

Hope you get your bike back soon!

• Pure2Raw Twins July 27, 2010, 5:00 am

Glad you find a pool so close to you. I wish I swam more, I know swimming is a great workout but for some reason it intimidates me a little. I know with practice you can get good at it. Maybe one day! HAHA

• Kristina @goodnweird July 27, 2010, 9:58 am

Totally agree with Alanna. You somehow pull off the swimcap look very well! Yay for the bike.

• Abby July 27, 2010, 2:42 pm

SO FUN!

I want to join our local YMCA because of the pool and racquetball courts.. but hubs doesn’t want to… at least not in the summer, he says. Boo! I’m sad. I want to swim!

• Krissy July 27, 2010, 6:14 pm

Goodness Girl – you inspire me SO much with your dedication to your work out regime! I honestly love working out and getting a good sweat on but don’t think I could ever train as hard as you do :) Your amazing – keep inspiring :) xoxo

• Holly July 27, 2010, 8:42 pm

i LOVED your mental health post. in fact, i am a huge proponent of taking mental health days off – days off work or school just for your own sanity. they are lifesavers.

glad everything is better, and i LOVE that you two flirted in the pool. i think love should be like that. growing old is mandatory, but you can stay immature indefinitely :)

• Nicole July 27, 2010, 8:54 pm

“growing old is mandatory, but you can stay immature indefinitely”

Hell yeah!!! 😉