It's Good to be Home… – Geek Turned Athlete

It’s Good to be Home…

The flight from Germany was long, and after 20 hours of traveling, I was finally safe in my sister’s house in Albuquerque. The reason for this little “detour” on my way to Spokane (will be our new place of residence) is because my brother-in-law got into a parachuting accident, and will be in a wheelchair for the next few months. Along with taking care of a hubby who can’t cook his own meals, reach for items that are on shelves or fit into certain parts of their house, my sister also has a one and a half year old and a three year old to care for. To say the least, she needs some help! This week has been filled with a multitude of dirty diapers, cooking, running errands, and tons of cleaning. This cleaning didn’t only happen at my sister’s, but also at my mom’s log home that they are trying sell about a couple of hours away from Albuquerque. Notice I didn’t say blogging or working out? Family comes first, and I’m happy to be here helping them out while I can.

I did manage to sneak out Friday and Saturday for some minor workouts though. Friday, I ventured outside of my sister’s house for a little run. I first intended on running 6 miles, but it was already 85 degrees out at 8:30am. I know what you are thinking: WIMP!! After living in Germany for 2 1/2 years and training in 65-70 degrees in the summer, 85 degrees is hot to me, okay?

Oh, and I was also trying out my new trail runners, ahem, on the pavement: the Montrail Masochist.

DSC07521.JPG DSC07522.JPG

The first five minutes my legs just went! After not running since my triathlon this past Sunday, they were ready to get out and play. I was running at an 8 min/ mile pace, and loving it. I almost seemed to be floating. After 10 minutes running at this pace, my breath was starting to become extremely labored. My lungs longed for oxygen.

Oh, that’s right. I’m not running in Germany anymore. I’m running in the high desert at 5,300 feet above sea level instead of 800 feet above sea level. My body was reminding me of that. After about 20 minutes of running outside, I could really feel the heat coming off of the pavement. My heart felt like it was up in my throat. I opted for the 4 1/2 mile version of my run, and headed home. I didn’t drink enough water before the run, and I started out way too late. When I got home, I was covered in sweat. Note to self: start way earlier and drink a lot more water in this climate!

My nephews helped me stretch. Of course, they couldn’t hold still while stretching. They were cracking me up! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Overall, the shoes felt great. I was in a lot of pain during my triathlon last weekend, and I think a big part of it was the fact that I needed new shoes. These had plenty of arch support, and they almost seemed to grip the road. I’m not sure whether that is beneficial when running on the road, but I can see how it would be for a trail.

The next day, the sis and I managed to attend a spin class. It was nice not to be teaching! On the other hand, I sort of critique the instructors since I teach as well. It is bad! This women was nice and cheery, but besides that, she didn’t talk about form, cadence or HR. Her form was downright scary. She was pulling so hard on the pedals and rocking side to side so much that I honestly thought she was going to fall over. Her toes were pointed, and she was hovering which are both NO’s NO’s!! I wish I wasn’t so critical, but people actually get injured when they are making these mistakes, and I’m all about injury prevention. I zoned out during class, and it felt good to get my HR up even though the altitude was still bothering me.

After the spin class, I got in a 30 minute swim in the gym pool. It was so strange because I knew the pool was shorter than the pool that I was used to swimming in Germany. I was getting over to the other side of the pool so fast. I asked a guy there how long the pool was, and he said is was 25 yards! No wonder!! I didn’t realize that there was such a huge difference in a 25 meter long pool and a 25 yard long pool, but I guess there is! I’m going to have to make sure I find a metric pool when I get over to Spokane! I almost felt cheated in my workout because of that.

I’m helping my sis host a BBQ this holiday weekend, obviously!

Please take time this weekend to think about what your freedoms are, and be thankful to the men and women who maintain those freedoms for you. ย I’m so thankful for my husband and brother-in-law. ย They both sincerely LOVE serving their country. ย I’m proud to know them. ย :)

What are all you up to??

• Bill July 4, 2010, 8:45 pm

Going up to Belgium to watch the Tour de France.

Other than that, letting the ankle recover after I rolled it on a discarded Smirnoff bottle when I was in the states last week.

• lindsay July 4, 2010, 9:26 pm

So glad your home safe and sound! What a sweet time with your family. Happy 4th!

p.s.
    Got eh Veganomicon book…yea!

• Jacquie July 4, 2010, 10:06 pm

Yay!!! Welcome home :)

Have a great time with your family and celebrating the Fourth! Thank you Husband for everything you do!!!

• genesis July 4, 2010, 10:12 pm

youre moving to spokane? as in spokane, wa? im sure thats the only spokane in the US! the reason I ask is because I live in Pullman, just 1 hr south of Spokane…

p.s. welcome back to the good ol US of A.

• Nicole July 5, 2010, 5:10 am

Yep! If you are ever in Spokane, let me know!! Would love to get together!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) July 5, 2010, 1:08 am

Oh I bet running there is SO different than what you’d gotten used to. I imagine it would be very difficult to take spin and not critique. Happy Fourth to you and your hubby!

• Erica July 5, 2010, 10:53 am

So glad to see you made it home safe. I am sure that your sister is so grateful for you and all of your help. Ah running in the heat- it totally takes some getting used to. Congrats on the win ๐Ÿ˜‰ All I needed was your email…you should get an email soon with the code! Have a great Monday

• Faith July 5, 2010, 10:17 pm

I’m glad to hear you made it home safe and sound…I’m sorry to hear about your brother in law though. I’m wishing him a fast, full recovery.

I hope you had a wonderful Fourth!

• Marisa July 5, 2010, 10:26 pm

Love the shoes! Your nephew in the blue & yellow has good form ๐Ÿ˜‰ Glad you made it back to the US of A! It has been extremely hot out here this week! We’ve hit the 90s!! Glad to hear you’re having fun with the family and enjoying that green chilli ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Nichol July 6, 2010, 5:14 pm

Thank you so much for reminding us all to be supportive and grateful for our armed forces that protect us each and every day. Sorry to hear about your bro-in-law, great that you are able to help out with the family.

I know you’re adjusting and it sounds like you are definitely getting in the swing of things in the states. Welcome home!

• LHdM July 7, 2010, 3:36 am

I just came across your fantastic blog! I feel a little weird saying that and then typing that I’m very sorry to read about your brother-in-law’s accident. I wish him a quick recovery!

I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July!

• Jess July 7, 2010, 6:08 pm

Wow, so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law, that is scary stuff. What a good sis you are to stick around to help out – you’re right, family is always first. :) Also, had to laugh at your reference re: critiquing spin instructors. I’ve recently been certified to teach a kickboxing class and fall into that sometimes now too. So interesting once those tables are turned huh?? Though makes me wonder what my fellow kick instructors must think of ME when I’m up there and they’re in the class. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• kneadspeed July 10, 2010, 2:41 pm

Your nephews are too cute. :)

And I don’t think you’re a wimp at all – I don’t like anything above 75 degrees, and even that’s pushing it. Radiant heat from the sun and humidity just make things worse. But winter will inevitably arrive in a number of months, and by then we’ll probably be wishing we had the warm weather again.

• Anne P July 11, 2010, 5:40 am

Just had to say welcome back to the USA :) Sorry to hear about the parachuting accident – my dad had one of those and was also in a wheelchair for a little while, but he was back to running in no time :) Hope your brother-in-law recovers just as quickly!

xoxo

• Nicole July 11, 2010, 6:12 am

Thank you! Yeah, I know he’ll get through this!!