Mental Health Days – Geek Turned Athlete

Mental Health Days

Do you ever just feel like you need a mental health day? You know, those days where everything is just eating away at you, and all you want to do is scream, and/or slap a random individual, then crawl under a rock?

I have to admit, I had two of those days this week. Lately, things haven’t been going as planned.

• Because of issues with the house, we won’t be closing until the end of next week which means another week in a hotel on our dime.
  • Issues with my last semester of grad school are a little overwhelming.
  • I’m having severe culture shock being back in the U.S. not to mention feeling completely unsettled since we have been in a hotel for the past few weeks.

Tuesday afternoon, we were hit with this news about the house and decided to go out for sushi and saki with friends.

Wednesday, issues with school came up and left me busy all day leading to a horrible migraine combined with nausea. The hubs got to witness my stressed out craziness combined with PMS when I immediately broke down and cried like a baby while venting to him about nonsense after he simply asked how my day went after picking him up from work. Gah, I’m glad he loves me. I would have thought I was insane if I were him. Feeling just a tad better after crying, I promptly passed out around 6pm without dinner, woke up around 3am, then went back to sleep until 6:30am.

Thursday, I basically felt like crap all day with a headache and was still crying at the drop of a hat. No exercise except for some half-ass abs. Acting like a crazy hormonal lunatic ensued.

By Friday (today), I felt renewed and ready to conquer everything and anything. All the stress and and overall skin crawling irritation of absolutely nothing had faded away from the previous couple of days. I pounded out a great 90 minute ride on the spin bike this morning (my bike has yet to arrive with the rest of our boxes from Germany). It flew by!

After the bike, I quickly changed into my running shorts and headed out for a 4 mile run. My legs felt fresh. Some Diana Krall came on my ipod, and I sang some jazz while running on the desolate roads in the back of the air base. I saw some deer and rabbits out munching on the long wispy grasses. My breathing was somewhat labored, and I could feel the warm sun on my face. I usually don’t take two days off in a row, but I’m glad I did. I really think my body and mind needed it, and by this morning I was craving moving again.

It is amazing what two days of crying like a freak can do for your mental health. :)

I have always been a crier, and personally, I find it a great stress release that is sometimes more gratifying than a hard workout. However, it is not normal for me to be so emotional for one day straight let alone for two days. I’m going to just chalk it up to stress for now. It is over with, thank goodness!!  I’m perfectly fine now, and as positive as I normally am!!

As for my first masters class? No go for this week. With the hubs and I sharing a car until our truck gets in from Germany (another stressful issue that I won’t bother you with), it has been a little difficult to get there on time if he has to work late. I’m going to attempt to go next week again. Next week has to go better than this week, right?

Oh, and another goal for next week: find a yoga studio. Lately, I feel like I haven’t been able to calm my mind down. Yoga always seems to do that for me, and it has been a while!

Last thing, I didn’t slap or cause bodily harm to anyone this week ;) , and the rest of my Half Ironman training schedule is up!!

How do you deal with really stressful situations? Are you a crying freak like me? Do you ever take a mental health day to just slow and quiet your mind?

** P.S. I posted about this b/c I’m not perfect or a Stepford wife.  No one is.  Although I’m generally a happy person most of the time, I do have my days where nothing seems to go right, and I freak out.  Thank goodness I have great family and friends to put up with me during those days.  Thank you, babe. ;)

• Heather (Where's the Beach) July 23, 2010, 3:06 pm

Oh I hate to hear that you’ve been stressed out. Sounds like a ton of crap going on. I used to be a big time crier. I think I cried myself dry though when I was stuck in a horrid job situation a few years ago. But I agree, crying helps. I also like to get out and exercise. Moving helps me feel better too.

• Erica July 23, 2010, 3:15 pm

I’m so sorry it was such a stressful week. Hope the weekend treats you so much better. I’ve definitely had weeks like this- hooray for wonderful husbands, days off from the gym followed by awesome workouts. Workouts and time with friends always makes me feel better!

• Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 23, 2010, 3:17 pm

I am definitely a crier. There are days where i just need to be alone in my room and just let it all out. Then I’m fine :-D

• Nicole July 23, 2010, 3:24 pm

The same with me! Usually once I get it out, I’m fine!!

• Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama July 23, 2010, 3:32 pm

I am such a crier, too! Agh, sometimes I make myself mad that I am so emotional. But the stress builds and it’s my only release.
    Sorry you have had a hard week, hopefully this weekend will be peaceful and nice.
    PS – I am jealous of your Subaru – I am such a Subbie girl at heart! OH and I will be in Spokane in a few weeks for a wedding; I will let you know what day for sure! =)

• Nicole July 23, 2010, 3:35 pm

Hehe, well, I’ll let you drive it when you get here so you can get your fix! Yes, please let me know!!! Hopefully, we will have a house by then!! :) (Supposed to be signing next week unless something else goes wrong!)

• Kristina July 23, 2010, 4:26 pm

oh… sorry it’s been stressful…

great post, however… good to know you are human :)

a good CRY and a good RUN can do wonders :) hang in there, it’ll be GREAT before you know it :)

• Katy @MonsterProof July 23, 2010, 5:28 pm

Oh, I’m definitely a crier. And…usually will eat a bunch of stuff I shouldn’t, and/or grab a beer. I sound like such a wreck, but I promise this isn’t very often! We all have those days!

• Julie @SavvyEats July 23, 2010, 5:55 pm

Sorry you’ve had a rough week, dear! Glad you’re feeling a bit better…crying always helps me too.

• lindsay July 23, 2010, 7:02 pm

I became more of crier when I got married. I guess it was all the stress and at least I had the hubs to cry one and console me, haha. I definitely have had WAY too many of those days lately. I think yoga, walking my dog, and reading my bible help…..and maybe some advil. :)

• Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear July 24, 2010, 3:32 am

I’m a crier. When I get really frustrated I usually swear and cry :D

• Kacy July 24, 2010, 8:21 am

SO sorry about the bad couple of days, but so glad you are filling better! I am such a crier! When I’m having crappy days I kind of shut my self up and spend some time alone. It might not be the best way to deal, but it usually helps.

Thanks for your Twittervation yesterday regarding my run! I got up and it wasn’t so bad :)

Have a good weekend!

• Lisa July 24, 2010, 2:09 pm

It amazes me that the US doesn’t have “mental health days” for people. Some bosses I’ve had have been great and allowed mental health days, others not so much. It is DEFINITELY needed once in awhile!

• Laura Georgina July 24, 2010, 5:59 pm

I read an article once that said that only a death in the family is more stressful than moving. If you add housing issues and school craziness and living in limbo for a few weeks to the mix, it’s a wonder you only spent two days crying like that! Well done on owning it. I cry easily when I’m stressed and when I’m angry (though not usually when I’m sad, go figure) and I always feel 100% better afterward.

• Nicole July 24, 2010, 8:59 pm

Well, that explains it!! Thank you. ;)

Yeah, I’m rarely sad too. Crying just seems to happen when I’m frustrated, angry, or happy. Go figure!!

• tanyasDaily ProductViews July 24, 2010, 8:06 pm

If stressed I talk with my hubby then hand it to god…works for me!

• TorontoGirloutWest July 24, 2010, 10:38 pm

I’m sorry this has been so stressful. :(

I totally understand what it’s like to be in your position. Truth is when I first got here I was so depressed I wouldn’t go out or do anything. Cue a 20+ lb weight gain. Major fail. At least it’s obvious that you’re so not going there.

As for my dealing with stress I do it by different ways. I used to let it overwhelm me. Now I work out, talk to my mom, or hang out with Daisy. And yes, sometimes I ball my eyes out. Although less often than I use to – which is a major win. :)

• LHdM July 25, 2010, 5:46 am

I’m in the middle of a move, too, so I feel your pain. I’m a total crier. I teared up when I said goodbye to my yoga teacher at my last class on Friday. I cried yesterday while I was at a last brunch with girlfriends before I move. I cried when I took back all of the books I had checked out of the uni library to finish my PhD. I will cry my way through more packing and stressful moments with my husband today.

Death of a loved one and divorce are supposedly the only two events more stressful than moving, and I believe that.

I hope you guys are able to close soon and that you find a wonderful yoga studio!

• Heather July 25, 2010, 10:41 am

There is nothing worse then a stressful week!

For me, sometimes just going for a run can help tremendoulsy – or spending time with a good book. By myself.

Hopefully things will improve – good luck!

• Tina July 25, 2010, 12:32 pm

I love when people can be real and show how they are truly feeling so kudos to you for putting it all out there. You rock! I’m glad you’re feeling a bit better and I hope things continue looking up. I know I like to cry when things get overwhelming. I also turn to prayer of just allow myself a bit of time to freak out and then let it pass. Clearly, I have my moments as well. LOL

• Nichole July 26, 2010, 6:14 am

Well sounds like you finally got some rest and re-focused. Sorry to hear about the week. Everything will work itself out, hang in there.

I napped all day Sunday, felt great. Turned off my phone, what a difference.

• Bekah @ runtrackmind July 26, 2010, 11:02 am

First, I just wanted to say I just found your blog last week and love it! Second, so sorry to hear that you were having a rough time but so glad you have the support and strength to manage it all. Mental health days work miracles in my book. :)

Reading your post today was a breath of fresh air. I had a few rough days last week, most self induced stress that I tend to internalize which of course reaches a breaking point of tears. Your P.S. was so perfect! Thank you for sharing your story.

• Nicole July 26, 2010, 11:17 am

Well, thank you! I hope this week will be better than last week for you! I internalize so much, and put so much stress on myself too. I need to stop doing that!! ;)