Quiet Desert Mornings – Geek Turned Athlete

Quiet Desert Mornings

Yesterday morning, I had the privilege of running with my cross country running star cuz. She is only 14, but she was dragging me along the foothills in Albuquerque.

For those of you who don’t know, Albuquerque is frequented by elite runners who train here due to the high elevation that can range anywhere from 4,900 to 6,700 feet above sea level in the city and the 310 days of sunshine. We were near the 6,700 feet area. It gets higher than that in elevation up in the mountains. These were weak little hills compared to what is further down the road.

Needless to say, the elevation had my heart and lungs up in my throat the entire 4 1/2 mile run. It was a short run b/c she had to go to work. It felt so good to get out and run though.

Wasn’t it beautiful out? It was about 7am at this point.

After going up an extremely steep hill, we stumbled upon a picnic table in the middle of nowhere. I wanted to pass out…

But we kept running. 😉

I’m so a desert person. A lot of people think deserts are so ugly because they lack green. There is something about these plants surviving in such extremes in temperature, lack of precipitation, and horrendous winds that make the desert stunning and gorgeous.

Where do you prefer to run or bike?

• Jessica @ How Sweet July 9, 2010, 8:21 am

Those sights are GORGEOUS. Maybe if I had somewhere like that to run, I’d actually like running.

• Heather (Where's the Beach) July 9, 2010, 8:28 am

What gorgeous scenery. I think the location can be so motivational. I enjoy running near the river – we have an extensive river trail for bikers, runners, walkers. Now, if I could run by the beach every single day…..well that’s the ideal.

• Nicole July 11, 2010, 6:19 am

Ooo, yeah the beach sounds great. I’ve never run along the beach before.

• Nutritious Foodie July 9, 2010, 8:30 am

beautiful photos. I don’t care for running but for cycling.. definately outside somehwere with some topography :)

• Abby July 9, 2010, 8:37 am

BEAUTIFUL!

I prefer to run on trails in the woods. Sometimes those are hard to find or not very safe. I’m working on finding beauty on all of my runs. Even the ones around the neighborhood. The only place I have yet to find beautiful is the gym….that’s why I don’t go!

• Lisa July 9, 2010, 9:14 am

What a fun looking run! I would love to run on trails in the desert. How peaceful and scenic.

• Erica July 9, 2010, 9:44 am

What a cool experience!! I agree- I think desserts are beautiful. If we didn’t move to SC, Arizona was our next choice :) I just like running outside period. I hate the treadmill- blah!

• Nichole July 9, 2010, 10:09 am

I’m so a dessert person;) I love a combo of both, but overall I’ll take a solid long run over a bike ride.

• Faith @ LovelyAsCharged July 9, 2010, 1:43 pm

That’s GORGEOUS, but somehow I’m always a bit afraid to run on isolated trails like that. I love my 3 mile lake with a paved path that runs alongside the road, with a little median in between.

• pen (pen at peace) July 10, 2010, 2:52 pm

Wow! What a beautiful run! This definitely has inspired me to go visit the Southwest!

• Pure2raw twins July 11, 2010, 10:42 am

I have never ran in the desert, but it sure looks pretty!

• Faith July 11, 2010, 2:44 pm

The dessert scenes are breathtaking! Looks like it was a fantastic run!

• Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 11, 2010, 3:27 pm

Wow, that looks like a pretty intense run! Puts my treadmill to shame, haha.

• Sand Sock Girl July 12, 2010, 1:42 am

You seem to be enjoying your runs in the desert. I hope someday I could go run with you as well. I would like to meet you soon. I soo love your blog!!

• Fit Chick in the City July 12, 2010, 1:50 pm

Beautiful photos! There is no way I could keep up with a 14 year old. Nice job!

• Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes. July 12, 2010, 4:39 pm

wow, beautiful! So different from where I live/run, I’m surrounded by the Ocean.
    I’d love a chance at running in the desert some day!

Look at those blue skies!

• Laurie July 13, 2010, 9:50 am

My son is a cross country star at 15. He leaves me in the dust (and we aren’t in the desert). He says I “bunny hop” when I run, my daughter upraded me to “bunny jog” since I’ve gotten a little faster. Aren’t children wonderful?
    I love you pics.

• Nicole July 13, 2010, 11:32 am

haha. Yeah, it’s tough “letting” my little cousins outrun me!!! :)

• Tea July 13, 2010, 6:54 pm

Beautiful pictures. Good for you for giving it a go!