Starting a New Chapter… – Geek Turned Athlete

Starting a New Chapter…

The plane ride took forever. My stomach felt like it was up in my throat. I tried to just sit back and relax.  The time would pass soon enough.  I was excited and nervous at the same time. I was looking forward to starting over again. You see, I get a fresh start every 3 years.

My husband is in the military, and we have to move every 2-3 years. We have moved to two different bases not including this new one in Spokane. I’ve come to enjoy this metaphorical “RESET” every few years. At the same time, I’m sad about the friends that I leave behind. If they are truly my friends, I will see them again at some point. :)

I met the hubs at the airport where we went straight to the house that we had been stalking for months online. He had seen it last week, but wanted to wait until I saw it and agreed that we should sign on it. I LOVED it. It was built in 1930, and it needs A LOT of work, but I think we are up for it. Let’s just say that I foresee a lot of “home improvement” weekends.

This is actually our first house bought together as a couple. We lived together in Tucson before Germany, but Steve bought that house before I moved in with him. In Germany, we rented. This will actually be OUR house. I’m so excited to decorate. I might need some help from you guys!  More pics to come!

After seeing the house, we ventured out into town to find a restaurant. We ended up finding this little bistro called Sage. It turns out that the head chef has celiac’s disease, and most of the menu items also had a gluten free option. Plus, GLUTEN FREE BEER!!! Plus, the owner grew all of his own vegetables for the restaurant!  Need I say more? I was a happy, full camper when we left this place. I was starting to feel a little overwhelmed with the house before dinner, but after leaving this place, I had a huge smile on my face. Everything was going to be okay. :)

Oh, and the hubs picked me up at the airport in my new 2010 Subaru Outback Sport! Eeeek! My last car was a ’93 Honda Civic that caught on fire the week after I moved to Tucson and graduated with my bachelors. We have been sharing a car for the past 4 years. Let’s just say it is a very much needed and welcomed early masters degree present!

I’ve been dreaming of this car for the past few years. I feel so lucky and thankful that the hubs and I can afford a new car and a new house right now! Of course, we will probably be broke with all of the home improvement projects we will be doing once we move in, but I don’t want to think about that right now!

This definitely makes moving to another state (and another country– moving from Germany) without knowing anyone but my husband, a little easier to handle.

I can’t wait to play with it in the mud, and go off-roading with it. :)

Honestly, all these things don’t really matter if you aren’t a happy person to begin with. The hubs and I are generally happy people, and I really think that we would happy wherever we ended up going. We tend to make the best out of even the weirdest and/or daunting situations.

Here’s to a change in scenery! Who knows what the future may hold. I’m excited nonetheless. ;)

Are you “good” at moving? Or are you perfectly content to stay in the same place for the rest of your life?

• Danielle July 13, 2010, 9:04 pm

I’m the worst mover – mostly because I hate the whole process of packing up everything and am not a big fan of change (stereotypical Capricorn). Ironically, I’ll be moving to Spokane in a year and a half when my boyfriend PCS’s there – then to wherever the Army takes us, so I think I’ll have to get over my moving phobia.

Your new house looks gorgeous! Decorating is so much fun – I love blogs like Design Sponge and Apartment Therapy for decorating inspiration.

• Nicole July 14, 2010, 8:34 am

Let me know when you get here!! :)

• Dawn July 13, 2010, 9:04 pm

In the years right after college, I moved around a lot, changing cities every 3 years. It was fun, and I got really good at moving, but I’m so glad that I don’t have to do it anymore! I really like being settled and knowing I’m not going anywhere for a while.

• Jen @ Tip Top Shape July 13, 2010, 9:19 pm

I hate the moving process itself but I’m okay with change. I just get easily frustrated with putting everything in boxes and then trying to unpack them in the correct order so everything stays together. I find it really time consuming. But otherwise, change is okay and I have a feeling in the years to come, I may be moving to where the boy is–which is fine because chances are others will be going through the same thing!

Your house is absolutely to die for! I love the 50′s feel to it and the nice thing about the fixer-upper is the fact that you have a chance to get really creative! :)

• TorontoGirloutWest July 13, 2010, 9:29 pm

I love your new casa – it’s mega cute!!!!! :) It’s going to make such a lovely first home for the both of you.

As for moving . . . I’m good at it and I enjoy a change of scenery. But I’d be lying if I told you I love where I live right now. I don’t. The scenery is gorgeous (who doesn’t love some Rocky Mountain views) but the city itself is so not me. And honestly it’s two years later and we don’t really have friends. Mostly ’cause people that are like us tend to leave. Le sigh.

Still we’ve stuck it out for two years and will probably be here for another 10 months before we move. And while I’ll be glad to leave here I will never regret coming here. So it’s definitely been a partial win! :)

• Claire July 13, 2010, 9:35 pm

I am so happy to read all these updates! Sounds like so much excitement in you and your hubs lives right now! Congrats lady…can’t wait to see more of the house! How perfect is that restaurant for you too…amazing!

And I definitely need to move around a lot more before settling…

• Marlon @MeInTheBalance July 14, 2010, 12:07 am

I was in a Navy brat growing up so I can relate to your experience of having to pick up and move every couple of years. When I was growing up, I actually enjoyed the “RESET” since many of my peers would eventually be moving on as well. Fortunately, I’ve reconnected with a lot of them thanks to social media. Now that I’ve got a family of my own, it’s a lot more difficult for me to move. My wife was born and lived in the same area until she moved away to college (where we met). We bought our own home a couple of years ago and I think we’ll be here for quite a while.

The house and car look great! Best wishes!

• Marisa July 14, 2010, 12:43 am

I LOVE ur new house!! I can’t wait to see pics of the inside. The car is awesome! Big room for those two weimaraners ;) I love packing up and “starting over” even though I’m not leaving Germany, I can’t wait to move to our new location! With the military you either love moving or you absolutely hate it…I LOVE it! And you are definitely right about being happy people, that’s the key in order to be able to adapt to new surroundings. I’m glad you made it to Spokane, I’m sure you’ll LOVE the area…still jealous :P

• Erica July 14, 2010, 3:25 am

What an exciting day! I love the new car and the house is adorable (the double doors downstairs are such a cool touch). Older houses have so much character!! Very thrilling that the restaurant has so many gluten free options. And your positive attitude is inspiring. So glad I read your blog :) You started my day off on the right foot.

• Nicole July 14, 2010, 8:37 am

You are so sweet!! ;)

• Jessica @ How Sweet July 14, 2010, 3:40 am

The house is SO cute! And you do seem so happy- I love it and am so happy for you!

• lindsay July 14, 2010, 4:39 am

what a great day! GF beer, cute house, and new car!!

• Kacy July 14, 2010, 6:07 am

Yay for the new house and car! So exciting! I love how you’re taking everything in stride.

I’ve never moved to another state (though I want to) but I think I would love the experience of the change and discovering new places.

• Katy @MonsterProof July 14, 2010, 6:14 am

I moved every 2 years as a kid, so to this day I start to get antsy if I’m in one place too long. My husband’s getting nervous because I’ve been in the same town for 3 1/2 years at this point and have the itch.

• Heather (Where's the Beach) July 14, 2010, 6:32 am

YAY – such a cute looking house. And it sounds like you hit the jackpot with the restaurant too. Um, I’m thinking you’re going to be a regular there ;-)

I’ve only moved out of state once. It was very exciting at the time. But, it wasn’t exactly the smartest move. I was back in my home state within 7 months.

• Holly July 14, 2010, 7:21 am

Nicole!!! I just caught up on a buttload of posts, and I have to say there are some majorly exciting things going on! From the triathlon, to moving, to hangin’ with the family, to moving again – I am way impressed that you are even able to fit in a workout! Major props lady.

Glad to see you found some gluten-free goods in your new town too – that must make things so much easier!

Yay for happiness, and loving and living yo life no matter what!

Lots of love,
    Holly

• Jason July 14, 2010, 8:08 am

I’m happy to stay in one place for a while. I grew up in So Cal, moved around for the military (AF also) and wound up living in the SF Bay Area for 11 years. I begrudgingly moved to Seattle (Welcome to WA!) a few years ago. I like it so far but I miss quite a bit about the bay area. In the end it’s probably a wash between there and here, both are pretty good.

It seems like an odd choice to buy a house knowing that you’ll only be there 2 – 4 years until his next PCS. That’s quite a gamble on the real estate market.

Nice car, and nice rack (bike rack on the car ;-)

• Nicole July 14, 2010, 8:39 am

We are planning on renting it out for a while after we leave. The hubs can only go to a few bases, so we might be back soon after we leave. :)

• genesis July 14, 2010, 8:35 am

your house is so cute! and i love the new car. we have a subaru but a really older one, but we still love it :)

so do you guys live in airway heights? i just figure since its near the base (at least I think it is). i wonder if that sage restaurant is also the same as the sage bakery in our area…

• Nicole July 14, 2010, 8:41 am

We are going to live near Manito Park (I think). I’m still not familiar with the area. It is about 20-25 minutes from base. Everyone told us not to live in airway heights when we were house hunting.

I didn’t see any bakery inside the restaurant. hmmmm. It might be owned by the same people. I have no clue! ;)

• Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 14, 2010, 8:54 am

Aww, the house looks cute! And if the friends you leave behind are truly your friends they will find a way to stay in contact with you. Distance is a great way to show what friends can really..well…go the distance, haha. Sorry, that was extremely corny, lol.

By the way, this is totally random but has anyone ever told you that you look like Idina Menzel?? I’m a relatively new reader so maybe it’s just the pics in this post but you could be her double!

• Nicole July 14, 2010, 8:56 am

Thanks! No, they haven’t! ;)

• Tiffany July 14, 2010, 9:06 am

I LOVE the house! I love older homes to begin with, and yours just looks to have so much character; I can’t wait to see what y’all do with it. And congrats on the new set of wheels! VROOOOOM!

• Sonja {ActiveFoodie} July 14, 2010, 9:10 am

Wow! That is a lot of change to go through! Congrats on the new house and the new car, that is very exciting! I’m sure you’ll find your groove in Spokane in no time :)

• Tammy July 14, 2010, 9:18 am

As always I love your posts. I can relate so much right now and appreciate your positive attitude about change! We just got notice that we’re being transferred back to Canada(not military, but have complete respect towards families that are-I have friends that are military as well,hats off to you/your husband). We’ll be gone in 4 weeks, not going back to the same town, but some things will be the same-your post reminds me to savour the moments, and enjoy the experience. Your posts are always so positive! thanks for writing :-)

• Nicole July 14, 2010, 9:48 am

You are so sweet! Best wishes and good luck with your move. Moving is always hard, but I would like to think that it makes you a well rounded person the more places you live. :) Thank YOU for commenting.

• Jess July 14, 2010, 10:04 am

YAY! So glad you love the new house and the new car! What a way to start “new” huh? Awesome! I have to say, I’ve always lived in the same state and lately me and the hubs have been considering our “dare to be great” moment and are considering a big move JUST to try it out. I’m so tempted to just do it, we’re not overly tied down where we are so we’re seriously considering it. It helps to see others go through it with relative ease, not gonna lie. ;)

• Lisa July 14, 2010, 10:15 am

Congrats! New house and a car! The house is super cute. Would love to see other pics of the inside!

• Anne @ the doctor takes a wife July 14, 2010, 10:19 am

Hubby and I moved to Dallas from Michigan 2 years ago and haven’t looked back since!! We love it. Enjoy your new adventure together :)

• Dawn (HealthySDLiving) July 14, 2010, 10:51 am

That house is gorgeous! :) Congrats and YAY for new car!

• Jenna July 14, 2010, 11:04 am

That house is beautiful! That is my kind of house. :)

I am an avid mover. I’ve moved 6 times in the past 5 years. Crazy. Although I can’t stay that I don’t love the change in environment!

• Pure2raw twins July 14, 2010, 6:57 pm

Yay for the new house and car! The house is gorgeous ; ) Cannot wait for more pics!!

And so glad you were able to get gluten free beer!!!

• Nichole July 15, 2010, 5:53 am

You absolutely will keep in touch and see the people you are meant to hold on to in life.

I am pumped for all your new fun toys. That car is SICK and perfect for you to get around with all your outdoor goodies!!

House, gorgeous. Excited for your big adventure. Amazing update!

• http://tanyasdaily.blogspot.com/ July 16, 2010, 7:42 am

I love change , it’s the unknown and exciting!~

• Kristina July 16, 2010, 7:12 pm

your house is SO cute!! can’t wait until you get in there and start decorating! :)

if you ever come visit Portland, let me know, we can plan a meet up! :)

• Bill July 17, 2010, 11:51 am

Congratulations on the new house and the new beginnings. I suspect you’ll make the best of it.

And you’ll love your Subaru. We’re abusing the hell out of fourth one here in Germany. Our Outback cruises comfortably well on the Autobahn.

• Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear July 21, 2010, 9:34 am

Moving every 3 years sounds interesting, I don’t know if I would be up to it.. one never knows until you try it but I love the idea somehow.

Your new house looks fabulous.. and so does your new car. Congrats! :)

• Katie Rainey July 21, 2010, 12:15 pm

Hey girly!! Kyle and I are sitting here checking out your BLOG, aren’t you proud of me:) Kyle loves the wordless blog:) Anyhow your house is SUPER CUTE! And we are so excited for you and your new outback sport! I just knew you’d that car! Sounds like your new life it so exciting, so many new beginnings:) I can’t tell you how much I have missed you and Steve over the past 3 weeks….. seriously, I want to visit you or have you come back and visit soon!
    Let me know a good number for you, cell or new home phone that way I can try to call you! Love you two lots and miss you more!

• pen (pen at peace) July 22, 2010, 11:40 am

OMG! Your house is adorable! I can’t wait to hear more about settling down in your new home!

• Laura Georgina July 24, 2010, 6:04 pm

Aw, your house rocks! As does your car–I love driving my mom’s Subaru when I visit her and I hope I can get one of my own someday. I’ve never seen a car glide out of huge Buffalo snow piles as easily as a Subaru :-)

I’m a total gypsy and can’t imagine ever settling down! My parents were students and academics so we moved every three to four years until I was about 18, then I moved to Canada for my grad school, then my hubs and I moved to England for his PhD, and now we’re in Trinidad where he found work and I’m winging it. I love everywhere we’ve lived, but I always look forward to hitting reset and going to the next place–makes life so much more interesting.