Coeur d'Alene Olympic Triathlon 2010 Recap: Part 2 – Geek Turned Athlete

Coeur d’Alene Olympic Triathlon 2010 Recap: Part 2

The swim and the bike portion of this triathlon are covered in Part 1!

The Run: 6.1 miles

After the first two sports of this race NOT going well, I had very low expectations for the run. I had to pee for the last hour on the bike, and my first order of business was to find a porta potty. I was so deep in a pit of pathetic self pity that I no longer cared about my time. I had to pee, and that is what I needed to take care of.

I caught up to the woman in the greenish blue below, and asked her where the nearest restroom was. She said that she had 4 kids and could no longer hold her pee in for very long either. We laughed after I told her I didn’t have a good excuse like that! She said there might be one up the road a little bit, and I said that she was a badass for being out there!

Side note: I talked with some women a couple of days ago at a meeting, and they were using the fact that they had kids and that is why they didn’t race or workout for that matter. I used this awesome lady as an example to negate that horrible myth. If you want it, you make it happen!!! Your training time might have to be shorter than others out there, but at least you are out there doing something, right?! Right!

Anyway, I passed her and hoped that my body would just reabsorb the water. Then, a funny thing happened. Everything seemed to click. My garmin was working. My legs were turning over really fast. Of course, this is all relative, but fast for me. My goal was a 9:30 pace after biking 24 miles, but my legs were going at about a 7:10 pace for the first mile. My breathing was labored, but not overly labored.

DSC09566.jpg DSC09568.jpg

DSC09569.jpg

I thought about the fact that I might blow up and die after the first 2 miles, but I just focused on calming my breathing down just a bit and went with it. I’m not going to argue with my body when it ACTUALLY wants to run FAST for itself once in a while.

I started passing all those people who passed me mercilessly on the bike. I’m not kidding you. I must have passed 30 people. NO ONE passed me. It was mind boggling. My ego started inflating from it’s deflated state punctured from the swim and bike. That only fueled me more.

Who am I? Where did these legs come from?

I don’t know, but just go with it!

But I have to pee!

No, no you don’t! We don’t have time for this! Reabsorb! Reabsorb! (As if I could tell my bladder what to do?)

This run is like the “Run for the Cure.” This is my “Run for the Pee”!

“Run for the Pee”!!!!!!! I actually started repeating this to myself.

Okay, so I’m a freak, right? I know.

Anyway, I started cheering for people who looked like they were really suffering. I passed a 60 year old walking. She was doing the relay portion of the race. I yelled to her how much she was an inspiration to me.

I saw a guy who was passing everyone up ahead, and then I passed him. He looked pissed.

haha. You got chicked!

I ran into this guy!! I started reading his blog when I was living in Germany once I found out that I was moving to Spokane. He actually knew who I was! It was so cool! We said our goodbyes after a brief chat, and I headed off.

DSC09584.jpg DSC09585.jpg

The last mile, my stomach started feeling weird.

WARNING: TMI coming up…

I felt like I had to pass gas, but I wasn’t sure if it was gas or something way worse. I held it in for the fear that it was more than gas and just started picking up the pace.

This wasn’t just a “Run for the Pee” anymore. This was a “Run for the Clean Shorts”!

I passed a girl who yelled “Good Job!” to me about .2 of a mile to the finish, and I just yelled back:

“I just have to go to the bathroom!! Good luck to you!” Oh yes. I’m the epitome of class. At least I’m polite.

I resisted every urge to hold my butt as I passed the finishline and ran straight to the first visible porta potty.

DSC09586.jpg

Back in transition area where I proceeded to pick up all my stuff, I peeked at my garmin. I held an average 7:58 pace for the entire run. My official time for the run was 49:30. :) And, here is the sad part, I was hurting just a tad at this pace. Although I probably could have pushed it just a tad harder, I did really enjoy myself. I thought it was a lovely run.

My run had redeemed the crappy swim and bike, and I was on cloud nine. I was psyched!

Again, I go through a range of emotions in races, and this race was a prime example.

I have a list of people who I would like to thank:

1) To My Amazing Husband: Thank you so much for putting up with my extensive freaking out before the race especially having to do with the missing wetsuit. Thank you for not divorcing me for my antics! You are a great photographer even though you decided on many butt shots in the beginning of the race. You are a great sherpa and supporter. I love you! I can’t wait to switch places for your 100 mile running race coming up soon!

2) The Amazing Spectators: Thanks, Trina! I know you had to be out there anyway for your hubs, but I did hear your words of encouragement for me, and they did help! The crowd was great as well. This was just a well organized race. Other than the fact that there were no porta potties on the actual run course. ;(

3) My Bloggy Friends: You guys are amazing as well! Thank you for always believing in me and reminding me to stop doubting myself!

I have yet another 2 day relay race that starts today. I will be tweeting about my experiences during the race! After an hour and a half hour of sleep for my last relay race, I can tell you that I will need all the encouragement you want to give!

Have you had any races where you surprised yourself?

• Matt August 13, 2010, 7:39 am

Great run! That is an awesome pace :)

• Jessica @ How Sweet August 13, 2010, 7:41 am

You are amazing! Such an inspiration!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) August 13, 2010, 8:02 am

Woohoo high 5′s to you! You totally rock. And you totally crack me up too ;-) I absolutely love your candor.

• Bill August 13, 2010, 8:50 am

You got to meet Al? Cool!

Great recovery! That’s what I love about races. However you feel now will change in five minutes.

• nrmrvrk August 13, 2010, 9:35 am

Congrats on the good run.

Is your husband running the Cascade Crest 100? That’s a pretty stout course. Has he run many ultramarathons already? Good luck to him.

• Angela @ A Healthy Fit August 13, 2010, 9:47 am

awesome run recap! I have almost had to poop myself on some training runs, not a pretty feeling.

• Kacy August 13, 2010, 9:52 am

You are a BEAST girl! Another race today? You rock.

• lindsay August 13, 2010, 9:58 am

what a fun race and an AWESOME TIME!!! You look so strong finishing. :)

• Mike Russell August 13, 2010, 10:50 am

That was a great race report. The details at the end are the ones most people leave out but need to hear — they are what really happens sometimes.

Just glad you made it to the port-a-potty in time and spared yourself the horror of a “brown-out”.

Great race.

Mike

• Erica August 13, 2010, 2:26 pm

GIRL! You are a machine. Way to rock it. I love the feeling of passing people….especially men…does that make me a bad person? Glad the pee kept you motivated ;)

• Kristie August 13, 2010, 5:24 pm

Great run. Fast. I find it helpful to repeat words in my head as I run too, but I have never said “run for the pee”, yet! I know what you mean. I had to run 6 miles during a race before being relieved at a restroom. no fun.

• Laurie August 13, 2010, 7:07 pm

You had me hysterical. First of all, the eyebrow tweezing, then how you so casually changed the chain and puked in the same sentence and then Run for the Pee, aka Run for the Clean Shorts! A riot.
    By the way, I have 3 kids, have done 2 Sprint Tri’s and 1 1/2 marathon, tell those moms to stop whining (oh, that wasn’t nice was it?) and I am not an athlete, I’m an overweight 45 year old just trying to be fit.

• coco August 14, 2010, 4:15 am

congrats!!! You’re soooo strong!!! :)

• tea August 14, 2010, 6:48 am

You are SO awesome. I meant that. I love your stories and the pictures and your sense of humor. I can only say that I hope to meet you someday, so I can bow down in your presence!

KUDOS to you for BRINGING it at the end (I don’t think I could have gone faster if I had to pee).

(As a side note: the women who said they don’t have time to exercise should read my blog. I started running in track in high school and through children, travelling for work, a wonderful hubby, I’ve kept running…..in fact I’m in my 26th year of being active in one way or another).

• Faith August 15, 2010, 6:18 am

You are amazing, congrats on your fantastic finish! And you are hilarious — I loved reading this post! I guess there’s nothing to fuel a run like the need for a potty! (I’ve been there too, lol!)

Just wanted to let you know you won my giveaway! :) Please email me your address so I can have your prize sent out!

• Lisa (BBB) August 15, 2010, 10:02 pm

wow -w hat an awesome run to finish with! Even despite needing to use the toilet! Congrats on a wonderful effort!!!

• Holly August 16, 2010, 11:19 am

YOU ARE A WARRIOR. work it out girl! and you are doing another one? if only i had your motivation – way to show up ladies we can do anything we set our minds to!

and my new life mantra might just be run for the pee. love it.

• Susan August 16, 2010, 1:46 pm

This may be totally creeptastic, but you have AWESOME legs! And they move you along quite well! Great race!

• Nicole August 16, 2010, 1:49 pm

haha. Thank you!!

• erin m.@well-in-la August 17, 2010, 4:27 pm

Hi, Nicole! Found your website via the Lululemon blog! I can’t wait to read a little more (shh… when I’m off the work clock!). I’m setting a goal for myself of completing my first triathlon by the end of 2011. Going to be checking out your site for training tips and tricks! Cheers!

• Katelyn August 17, 2010, 7:23 pm

This post was really so inspiring. I’ve been working on running training for a couple of weeks now, and it’s so hard to stay motivated when I keep reading about bloggers who do crazy amounts of training. But now I know – my training might not be their training, but I’m training for ME, and what’s right for my body. Thank you so much!!

xoxox,
    Katelyn

• Nicole August 17, 2010, 7:29 pm

Honestly, it is soooo easy to overtrain. I know a lot of people who do so much, and I end up doing better than them b/c I got busy and took a whole week off or something crazy like that! When you need a day of rest, take it!!! Good for you for doing what your body needs!

• Cass August 21, 2010, 8:19 pm

Hahaha your post is super funny! So, I’m curious! What was it in the end – gas, or something worse? ;) Congrats on your awesome run finish! You make me miss doing multisport races. i used to do duathlons and triathlons but not any more, aftter the whole thing got more about blasting personal bests, beating certain competitors, and getting medals, rather than having fun. I became too serious, too focused, and no longer enjoyed what I was doing. :( You sure look like you’re having a ball of a time though! I’m so happy for you!

• mizuno wave August 21, 2010, 10:31 pm

Seems the race is fun and exciting. You made a great run report. Keep it up and congratulations to the winners.