Countdown to the Half Ironman: 3 Weeks – Geek Turned Athlete

Countdown to the Half Ironman: 3 Weeks

So…I have a HALF IRONMAN in 3 WEEKS!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I have to admit, I’m feeling very overwhelmed at this point. I’m starting to think it was a stupid idea to sign up for this thing knowing that I would be moving from Germany back to the states, and that it would take a while for all of my training stuff to come in including my bike. After two months of waiting, my furniture, household goods, and my bike finally came in this weekend: 3 WEEKS before my race.

I’m trying not to freak out, and tell myself that my goal should just be to finish since this is my first Half Ironman, but…

I’m a competitive person. I will probably have to just get over that for this race. To compound with that, I’ve been feeling really overwhelmed by training. I was supposed to run 10 miles and ride 2 hours this weekend. None of that happened b/c:

A) I had movers at my house all day Saturday.

B) I had a headache ALL day Sunday.

C) My bike was actually broken because the movers in Germany packed it wrong plus I can’t find my bike pump anywhere yet. The thought of jumping on a spin bike for two hours like I have been doing ever since my bike was packed and sent to the states, makes me want to vomit. I’m SICK of riding inside the gym staring at exercise balls for hours on end.

D) I DIDN’T WANT to workout AT.ALL.

If my bike was in good condition to ride, I probably would have ridden Sunday. My body is craving the bike, but I wasn’t feeling the run despite tweeting that I was going for a 10 miler in an effort to motivate myself to get out there.

I’m burned out! The sad thing is: I just want the next 3 weeks to be over with. I’m already planning on what I will be doing exercise-wise for a month after my HIM. A clue: It will have nothing to do with triathlon. I love triathlon, don’t get me wrong, but I love to do other types of exercise too.

All I can do at this point, is just stick to my schedule and make sure my diet is clean.  Here goes nothing!

This morning I did get out for my 10 mile run, and I think the weekend break did me some good. I actually enjoyed it. Trail runs are definitely good for the soul.

DSC07709.JPG DSC07710.JPG DSC07712.JPG

DSC07713.JPG DSC07714.JPG DSC07718.JPG

Up next: some yoga if I can find my yoga mat in the plethora of boxes. ;)

DSC07726.JPG DSC07727.JPG DSC07728.JPG

P.S. Check out my guest post on Kitchen of a Runner from Saturday!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) August 30, 2010, 12:05 pm

It does sound like you’re burned out and you have every reason to be on multiple levels. That totally sucks about your bike. Sounds like you had a refreshing run today at least.

• nrmrvrk August 30, 2010, 12:13 pm

What did they break on your bike? Hopefully it was just components and not the frame. Nice trails that you get to run.

• Nicole August 31, 2010, 9:17 am

just the components, thank goodness!

• Jason August 30, 2010, 12:25 pm

Hey, just having the guts to(a) enter a HIM, and (b) still ensure you will compete during a fairly stressful move, will ensure your success.
    Do not forget the adrenalin that will be in abundance on race day too!, you generally don’t get that whilst training.
    BTW, which HIM is it?

• Nicole August 30, 2010, 3:12 pm

It is the Grand Columbian in Electric City, WA. ;)

• Matt August 30, 2010, 12:48 pm

I’m sure you will rock the race :)

• Erica August 30, 2010, 12:56 pm

sometimes, things just can’t go according to plan. No stress. I’m glad you didn’t try and over do it! Looks so beautiful there :) I want to visit! Sorry to hear they broke your bike- darn movers

• Nicole August 30, 2010, 3:15 pm

I have a guest bedroom with your name on it!! :) Yes, darn movers! (I used a different adjective on Sat when I first saw the bike)

• Sana August 30, 2010, 1:27 pm

What a beautiful trail! Maybe this will be the stressfree and sick free race for you!!

• lindsay August 30, 2010, 2:46 pm

this is so exciting!! Good luck! You can do it. I remember when i did a half a LONG time ago, I just remember thinking…..”I’m finally on the run, wow this run is long.” haha.
    Cheers,
    LC

• Pure2raw Twins August 30, 2010, 5:41 pm

I think you will do fine at your race. You are a strong person and you can do it! Hang in there ;) The 3 weeks will be over before you know it, LOL!

• Tina August 30, 2010, 7:27 pm

You’re going to do great. Make the best of everything and see where that leads you. I understand the nerves though. Sometimes there is simply no stopping them.

• Tiffany August 31, 2010, 3:25 am

Beautiful run, and awesome attitude, hon. There is a first for everything, and while you may not feel as prepared as you would like, this is nothing new to you…it’s just a little longer. :) Try not to get frustrated with things you cannot/couuldn’t control. You’ll rock this one way or the other!

• Nicole August 31, 2010, 9:18 am

You are so right. ;) Your comment made me smile!

• Ellen@FirednFabulousq August 31, 2010, 11:42 am

I’m sure this is just a phase…it’ll pass. I’m competitive with myself on pretty much everything, but if you try to take some of that pressure off, maybe you’ll end up doing ever better! Best of luck!