Cycling Under the Tuscan Sun Part 1: Bike Fitting and Wine! – Geek Turned Athlete

Cycling Under the Tuscan Sun Part 1: Bike Fitting and Wine!

In the beginning of June of this year, my husband and I FINALLY went on our honeymoon after 2 1/2 years of marriage. We first got married right before we moved to Germany, and again in front of our family last October (it’s a military thing ;)). You could say that living in Europe was our honeymoon, and I wouldn’t argue with you. However, cycling, eating, and drinking our way through Tuscany has always been something that we wanted to do for our official honeymoon. So, four weeks before packing everything up to move from Germany back to the states, we finally went on our honeymoon, and it was a crazy wonderful dream…

Why am I posting this now? Because moving from a another country back to the states is a whole other beast than moving cross country. I finally got a chance to sort through our more than 2,000 photos from this trip. I will be posting in several parts b/c there are too many to fit in just one!

The first day, our bike tour company (VBT—freaking awesome company by the way, and no they didn’t pay me to say that. We had to pay for this trip ourselves.), picked us up from a hotel in Florence to take us to our first hotel in Tuscany. This was the beginning of many fabulous eats. I think I drank a gallon of olive oil on this trip because it was amazing. I couldn’t get enough. Oh, and except for the first day of the trip because of traveling we rode anywhere from 25 to 50 miles a day for 6 days. It was amazing. Sigh…

After being taken back to the hotel, we had a brief meeting and were told to set out on the bikes to make sure that everything was adjusted correctly. In addition to that we had our first round of trying to read directions while riding. We got lost. Twice It was a fun adventure, what can I say?!

DSC07236.JPG DSC07240.JPG

After riding about 15 miles, it was time to shower, go to a meeting about our ride the next day, then a wine tasting! The hotel was also a winery and produced olives for olive oil.

DSC08170.jpg

Our hotel room ended up being away from everyone else’s because they didn’t have enough room in the main hotel. So they stuck us in the middle of some olive trees. We did NOT mind at all. 😉

DSC08186.JPG DSC08180.JPG

DSC08202.jpg DSC08207.jpg

DSC08213.jpg

DSC08217.jpg

Then to dinner. I must say, the Italians know how to eat!!

The next day was when the real riding began…

• Estela @ Weekly Bite August 31, 2010, 6:11 pm

Wow! What an incredible honeymoon! Some friends of our did something very similar and had a blast :)

• Julie @SavvyEats August 31, 2010, 6:31 pm

Ahhh, finally! I’m excited to read your recaps so I can get pumped up for our honeymoon… in 4 weeks. But wait, I thought you did your tour through Ciclismo Classico??

• Nicole August 31, 2010, 7:40 pm

I couldn’t get the dates that I wanted (b/c of the deployment) so we decided to go with VBT.

• Pure2raw twins August 31, 2010, 6:45 pm

Beautiful pictures…wish I had a glass of wine right now ; )

• Nicole August 31, 2010, 7:40 pm

Oh, there are more to come!!

• Mike Russell August 31, 2010, 8:17 pm

What I really want to see is a map of where you went. :) Pictures of your down time are cool too I guess…

• Sana September 1, 2010, 3:25 am

I love the concept of adventure honeymoons! Hahah I as not too thrilled with all the olive oil in Italy- gah!!!

• Jessica @ How Sweet September 1, 2010, 3:38 am

Oh my gosh… so pretty!!

• Tiffany September 1, 2010, 4:50 am

HOLY MOSES! ALL THAT FOOD! Happiest NOMS EVER!

I’ve been reading your blog for several months now (and picking through certain ones for motivation or recipes), and I know you take a TON of pictures. I just always wonder what pictures didn’t make it; like knowing that there was some editing of “Lord of the Rings” and wondering what actually made it on the cutting room floor, hahaha!

• Nicole September 1, 2010, 5:42 pm

:) A lot of them plain just get deleted! Like if they were blurry or I didn’t like the angle or if I take multiples of the same thing, the best shot wins out, then the rest are purged!

• Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes September 1, 2010, 11:53 am

wow Nicole! what a dream vacation! I just took a look at the VBT site and they seem like an awesome company!

Can’t wait to see some more beautiful photos!

• Joann Burgraf September 2, 2010, 8:32 am

I am totally obsessed with your honeymoon! I love that the two of you picked such and active honeymoon. My boyfriend and I talk about taking active vacations once he’s out of school, and something like this would be perfect. I think for starters we’d look at something in the states. Thanks for the inspiration. I love reading your posts, your dedication to fitness in very refreshing.

• Nicole September 2, 2010, 8:33 am

VBT does have vacations like this in the states. I love that company, and they completely take care of you!

• Ashley September 2, 2010, 4:49 pm

Love your hotel room by the olive trees. That is awesome!! What an amazing trip! I think Chris + I would love this. We drove around all of Ireland for our honeymoon..obviously not as challenging but we still got lost quite a bit 😉

• Nicole September 2, 2010, 5:23 pm

They have a cycling trip in Ireland too that we are planning on doing. 😉

• scott simpson September 13, 2010, 6:48 pm

Nicole,

Which VBT Tuscany tour did you take? By the Sea or the Coast one? We are two couples in our 50’s from Spokane and Bend and are trying to decide which one to do next May.

Thanks, Scott

• Nicole September 13, 2010, 10:02 pm

We did the Coast one! We absolutely loved it, and I know you guys will too!!

• lindsay January 31, 2011, 3:44 pm

wow, gorgeous! I am impressed with your cycling and video skills. Nice! 10k climb is impressive.
    love the recap.