Most people think salads are great side dishes. Yesterday though, all I could think of was a huge salad for dinner. My body was craving the veggies, I guess.
I basically searched my fridge for veggies that I had on hand that looked good or that might be going bad soon! Horrible way to start off a recipe, right? I know, but it actually turned out really good!
Hearty Massaged Kale Salad
makes 2 servings
- 1 block of tofu (or however much you want to eat!)
- 11/2 cups of raw, peeled eggplant
- 1 cup of sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 clove of garlic, minced (don’t you dare use that already minced garlic in the jar! You know it doesn’t taste the same!)
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/3 cup of olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- chopped tomatoes
- half a bunch of kale, with middle stem removed, torn apart
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- hummus (any amount you really want!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start pressing the tofu ASAP! I don’t have one of those fancy tofu presses, but grab a bunch of paper towels, wrap that chunk up, and find something heavy to put it on it. I like to use a wooden cutting board, then play the balancing act with jars of baking stuff. This just makes my husband nervous though.
- Heat a pan up to medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the pan and throw in the mushrooms. DON’T put salt on them yet!!!!!!!! Cook until the crispiness that you want, then add the eggplant, salt, pepper, and garlic. Saute until the eggplant is cooked to your liking without burning the garlic. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- While the eggplant and shrooms (don’t you wish, hehe) are cooking, grab your blender and throw the 1/3 cup of olive oil (really, add as much or as little as you want to taste. I didn’t measure out, I just drizzled, tasted, drizzled, tasted), lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and blend. This turns into a wonderfully creamy mixture of summer in your mouth. 😉
- Now, use all your massage skills to massage some of this dressing into the kale leaves. I would say for a good minute or two.
- Slice the tofu into whatever shape you want, and throw into the pan when the mushrooms and eggplant is done with the a little olive oil. No sense in dirtying another pan, right? I’m lazy, but you can do what you want. Cook until nice and crispy.
- Assemble, and dollop with some hummus on the top.
Do you like our dining area? We still don’t have our furniture yet from Germany (if you are new, that is where we just moved from). We have been eating outside on our deck watching the hummingbirds. I have been enjoying it.
Have a great weekend.
P.S. I know Foodie Fridays are supposed to be on Friday, but due to the fact that I have to go to Starbucks to use the internet, it is whatever day I want until I get some internet at my house.
How has your weekend been treating you so far?