Spokane to Sandpoint Relay 2010: Part 2 – Geek Turned Athlete

Spokane to Sandpoint Relay 2010: Part 2

If you missed Part 1, check it out!

Why does my husband always have to take pictures of this? Seriously. These are the only pics of this leg of the race for me. Doesn’t this remind you of the last race I did?

Anyway, the second run of this race was at about 11pm for me. Complete with a reflective vest, ipod, headlamp, a migraine, and my husband by my side on a bike, I set out for my out and back 7.6 mile run. Is it possible for me NOT to get sick on one of these relays?

With every step, my brain felt like it was smashing up against my skull. I felt the chunks come up in my chest and throat. I swallowed the puke that came up multiple times. The hubs was a little worried, and he kept offering to run my leg for me, and I could take the bike. I wanted to switch with him so badly. I was so tired, and all I wanted to do was close my eyes for a few hours after taking some power medication to get rid of this thing. Every single time a person passed towards me with a headlamp, my eyes felt like they were going to pop out of my head.

But I’m a stubborn person. I didn’t want my husband to finish MY leg. I needed to finish it. Unless I passed out or died, I was going to finish this thing. It seriously took everything out of me to finish my leg.

My husband’s “Babe, you are doing great.” and “I love you. You are honestly my hero. You are amazing.” seriously helped me make it to the end averaging an 8:56 minute/mile pace.

We told the van to meet us at the end of the hub’s leg instead of at the end of mine, so we quickly switched at the next exchange. I pedaled next to my husband for his leg cheering him on the best I could through my pain. He rocked his run passing a bunch of people.

As soon as we made it back to the van, I passed out for 2 hours in one of the back seats. The hubs woke me up for the roller coaster ride. You see, in this race you ride a roller coaster with your team before the last section of the race starts. Getting out of the van, I felt so much better than when I went in. My migraine was gone! I think it was about 3am? The roller coaster was AWESOME! Here is a video that the race organizers put together that has the roller coaster ride in it:

After the roller coaster, Van 1 started their last legs, and we went in search of the next big exchange point and tried to nap for a few hours before our last legs.

My run did not come late enough. Since I was the first runner out of our van, I had to be ready to go as soon as the last teammate from Van 1 came running through around 8am.

Before the run, I found out some devastating news: a runner and one of their teammates biking right next to them were hit by a drunk driver around 4am. The person on the bike was killed. Are you freaking kidding me???? Someone had already been hit by a car when the race first started. So, 3 people were hit by vehicles during this 2 day race. This angered me so much because this didn’t need to happen. Why do drivers have to get so defensive over the sharing the road with runners/cyclists? I just don’t understand why we can’t all get along! Cars were passing me so closely at some points when there was clearly enough room to move over a bit while passing me. This seriously made me so upset that if I would have had a baseball bat, I would have smashed up the many a$$holes’ cars. A person actually died at this race. Crazy.

I had to start my last run of 6.5 miles with this knowledge, and I would be lying if I said I wasn’t scared about getting hit by a car. I began slowly. I didn’t really care about my pace for this last leg. I just wanted to focus on the positive and enjoy the act of running itself.

I was taking it extremely easy on my way up a hill, and a guy passed me with a coffee in one hand. He waved with his other hand, and said good morning.

That’s it. I’m done taking it this easy! I’m not letting a guy beat me with a freaking coffee in his hand. Ridiculous!

I picked up the pace and passed him. His coffee was gone, and I have no idea where he put it. I could hear him behind me for a while trying to keep up, but the footsteps quieted down after a few minutes. I saw a few people ahead of me. It was cat and mouse time. I started picking people off the best I could. This was another extremely hilly course, and my knees were already bothering me a little bit, but I just kept going. I finished extremely happy because I was ALL done! I think I averaged about an 8:50 pace? I can’t remember.

For the rest of the time, my teammates and I focused on cheering the final runners of our van on. We finally finished around 12pm.

We were dirty, hungry, and tired by the very end! 185 miles done!!!

If you plan on doing a relay race, check out my tips for surviving a relay race!!

Have you ever raced with a spouse or significant other? How did you get along?

• Matt August 27, 2010, 8:22 am

That is so sad that someone died while competing in a relay. Some people (drunk drivers) just never learn…

• Julie @SavvyEats August 27, 2010, 8:37 am

You are a ROCKSTAR. I can hardly sit up when I have a migraine–can’t imagine running even 2 steps!

And so sad about the cyclist. Be so very safe during your relays! I am surprised they don’t have part of the road closed off or more police around to keep that from happening during the race :(

• Heather (Where's the Beach) August 27, 2010, 8:41 am

Girl you totally kick ass. There is no freaking way I could be running with a migraine then biking beside the hubs after my run. That is so sad that someone was killed. How truly tragic.

• Erica August 27, 2010, 8:53 am

My goodness! I’m not sure if I could keep going if I felt like I was going to vomit!!You rock. And what a great guy the husband is. That is so horrible that someone was killed….drunk driving makes me so angry.

• genesis August 27, 2010, 10:33 am

wow, i didnt know someone died during the race. yeah drivers here are a-holes, i never understand it either. their not really biker or runner friendly. i usually try to stay away from rural roads where there arent specific running trails or sidewalks because i know how ridiculous these dirvers can be.

you got to experience silverwood :) we’re headed up there tomorrow actually…hopefully the weather will be nice and the waterpark wont be cold!

• Ssana August 27, 2010, 12:19 pm

:( that is so awful. I am always terrified to drive next to a biker so I always go super slow!

You run the most intense races ever!

• TorontoGirloutWest August 28, 2010, 1:13 pm

I had to read the part about someone dying, multiple times. What a tragedy. What a waste. It makes me really sad.

Stay safe out there!

• Julie August 29, 2010, 7:33 am

You are so tough to push on like that! What a great inspiration.
    I’ve had several scary incidents on my bike – that is so sad about 3 people being hit!

• Faith August 29, 2010, 8:58 am

Wow, that is heartbreaking to hear about someone dying at a relay race! And all because of a drunk driver…

Sounds like you and your teammates did an amazing job!

• Caitlin August 29, 2010, 7:32 pm

Nicole, you are so inspiring. Just so, so inspiring. Again, I love the duo that is you and Steve. I love that him saying such beautiful things inspired you. What a beautiful couple y’all make!

Congratulations on finishing another amazing race!

• Nicole August 29, 2010, 7:36 pm

Ah, thank you! It is so funny that when we hang out with some friends, their relationships with their spouses are so different from ours. We support each other. this is not to say that we don’t fight, b/c we do! But, we will always get each other through the hard times. 😉 I hope all is well with you!!

• Kristina @ spabettie August 30, 2010, 7:55 am

wow, you are amazing for getting through this with a migraine… I have them, and sometimes cannot even be in light. You are strong, amazing and BEAUTIFUL! …which is why those type of photos keep coming up in your camera! 😉

That is so incredibly sad and horrific that ANYONE would be hit by a car, let alone not make it and by a drunk driver no less. This infuriates me to no end. I had a very good friend killed by a drunk driver 1.5 years ago, and the madness / sadness all comes back when I hear of this happening.

You are such a huge inspiration to me. Kudos on a great race! :)

• Tasha - the clean eating mama August 30, 2010, 8:38 am

It’s unfortunate that someone was killed. I hate running on the road becuase of this very reason.
    You would have thought they would have been able to block a portion of the road off or at least had more security since everyone was racing at night. Although, late nights are known for drunk drivers. So sad. =(

• Abby August 30, 2010, 10:13 am

How sad about the cyclist!!! Life is so very precious.

YOU DID AMAZING, though! CONGRATS!!

• Sarah for Real August 30, 2010, 12:28 pm

Congratulations! I would have NEVER believed it possible to run with a migraine. You are an incredible amazing woman!!!

• Lisa August 30, 2010, 3:48 pm

I’m sorry someone got hurt and someone else died. Luckily that didn’t happen with Hood to Coast this weekend but I understand your anger. Some drivers were just plain jerks!