Me Against Myself – Geek Turned Athlete

Me Against Myself

Tomorrow is a big day. I will be competing in my first Half Ironman (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run). I’ve been surprisingly calm the last few days about the whole thing. Maybe I’ve just been way too stressed out about other things going on in my life to worry about this one. Why have a hobby if it is going to stress you out anyways, right?

I should be really freaking out because:

• My bike has been MIA for the past 2 1/2 months along with the rest of our belongings making their way from Germany back to the U.S.. I finally got it a couple of weeks ago. Therefore, cycling the measly outside miles recently does not make me in any way, shape, or form prepared for this race as far as the bike goes.
  • I have no aerobars for my bike. A friend let me have some of his, but they don’t fit on the bike, and I haven’t had time in the last few weeks to think about it until today. I’m starting to regret it just a tad, but I’m not about to start riding with aerobars the day of a race.
  • My left hip and knees have been bothering me the past few weeks therefore running was done at a minimum.
  • I probably could have swam more.
  • I don’t feel 100% or even 80% prepared for this race at all.
  • I seriously feel like I’m getting sick today– fatigue, scratchy throat, headache.

But you know what? When are we ever 100% prepared for anything? I can’t go back in time and change anything. I know that I gave my all with training considering what I have been through the past few months – ie. moving back to the states, buying a new house, starting last semester of grad school. I don’t think that I could have given more.

Will I get the time that really pictured myself getting when I signed up? Probably not, but this is my first HIM. At least it will be an easy PR next year when I attempt this thing again (maybe, ask me after tomorrow).

There are 7 chicks in my age group. At first I was like, “I need to really try to beat most of them!” After talking to my dentist (a local Ironman triathlete), he reminded me that I have no idea how fast those girls are. Plus, I don’t and have ever claimed that I am very fast at any of the sports. What was I thinking?

“You need to race your own race,” he said. And that is what I’m going to do. I’m going to do what my body permits me to do tomorrow combined with the crazy weather we are supposed to have, nutrition, and equipment issues. The more worrying I do will only hurt me at this point. I want to have fun and not stress.

Steve will be tweeting how I’m doing if he can figure out how to use my phone by tomorrow morning. Feel free to keep up with me via Twitter. 😉

It will be me against myself out there since that is only thing that I can control, and we will see where I end up…

• Jessica @ How Sweet September 17, 2010, 4:15 pm

I know you can do it! I am so proud of you and you are SUCH an inspiration – possibly the biggest in the blogland! Sending prayers, good thoughts, vibes – EVERYTHING your way! <3

• Rita @ The Giggly Bits September 17, 2010, 4:22 pm

Nicole,
    I don’t know that one is ever truly ready for something like that the first time. Training enough or not. You are strong and brilliant and I will be following you in the tweet-erverse tomorrow cheering you on the entire way.

Please teach him to use that phone!

• Matt Tabor September 17, 2010, 4:24 pm

Good luck! I am sure you will do great!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) September 17, 2010, 4:27 pm

Wishing you lots of luck girl!!!! And it’s so true – when are we ever totally prepared for anything? It’s the great teaching tool of life 😉

• Sana September 17, 2010, 4:30 pm

If life always gave us perfect conditions then we would never have to challenge ourselves. You have done so many amazing races, that you are READY for this!

Plus it would not be your race if you were feeling well 😉
    XOXOX
    and GOOD LUCK!

• genesis September 17, 2010, 4:33 pm

youll do great and your dentist is right…race your own race and just push everyone out of your thoughts.

where’s your HIM?

• Lisa September 17, 2010, 4:37 pm

I’ve never felt 100% prepared for anything I’ve done! But it always turns out good. Good luck on your Ironman!!!!!

• @FitInMyHeart September 17, 2010, 4:43 pm

In my humble opinion, you’ve succeeded already!!! You put in the work against all odds!!! You’re Ready!!! Just Have Fun!!! 😉 See you at the finish line (via Twitter)
    Take care
    Dr. Mo

• Tiffany September 17, 2010, 5:22 pm

Go show yourself what you got, hon. Compete or complete, you’ll do awesome! 😀

• Pure2raw Twins September 17, 2010, 8:37 pm

Good luck! I know you will do great though :) Will be thinking of you!

• Erica September 18, 2010, 4:44 am

I hope all goes well! Can’t wait to read about it

• Julie September 19, 2010, 8:12 am

Can’t wait to hear your race report. I DO have aerobars on my bike and I never use them. I guess I should get more comfortable with them.
    You will do great I’m sure! Any race is a good race as long as you have fun and support your fellow racers!

• Holly September 20, 2010, 7:31 am

GOOD LUCK DEAR NICOLE! i am sure you rocked that race :)

can’t wait for the recap – lots of love!!!

• Nutritious Foodie September 20, 2010, 8:13 am

Good luck Girlie! You will be fine :) Can’t wait to read your recap :)

• Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 20, 2010, 9:29 pm

oooh the suspence is killing me! How did it all go???

Ps – when you have a spare moment – I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on aero bars generally!