Ayurvedic Fall Cleanse Results – Geek Turned Athlete

Ayurvedic Fall Cleanse Results

Last week, I participated in a Ayurvedic Fall Cleanse. I also had strep throat. It was a fun week, let me tell you. For the background on this cleanse, click here for my overview. I have two specific topics that I wish to address in this post: my thoughts on the cleanse AND my thoughts on YOUR opinions about what I do in my life and post about on this blog.

My Take on This Cleanse

Honestly, I consider myself a pretty well-rounded, realistic person. I wasn’t expecting much, but I’m open minded. My constipation issue has been rearing its ugly head again, and stool softeners given to me from my doctor weren’t going to fly. I’m sick of doctors fixing the symptom and NOT the problem. I was hoping to maybe get the pipes moving again and destress. I wasn’t expecting this cleanse to “change my life,” and make me regular forever. Although, wouldn’t that be nice?

The reason why I decided to do this specific cleanse was because it wasn’t a fasting cleanse (except for about 8 hrs the last day), it seemed easy to follow, and it consisted of only using simple culinary spices (turmeric, ground ginger, cumin, mustard seeds, etc.) in my cooking (NO freaky medication or pills). Plus, the 4 group meetups that met last week were wonderful. They held you accountable, and it was nice to know that someone else was gagging as they drank their ghee or flaxseed down every morning.

The Results

I feel renewed and refreshed.

• My stomach no longer feels bloated. Although I’m not sure how long this will last, I’m enjoying it for now.
  • My acne has cleared up. Again, I have no idea how long this will last for, but I’m loving this!!
  • I’m actually more flexible. I know this sounds odd, but it is true. I was told this was because some of the toxins had been removed from the body. Whether or not this is the reason, I LIKE it!
  • BIG RESULT: I was reminded about how important it is to take time for myself. Part of this cleanse was to sit and meditate for a certain amount a day whether it be for 5, 15, or 30 minutes plus baths and self massages with sesame oil. It felt good to do something for me. My mind is ALWAYS racing. I’m always thinking about what I need to do next. I’m NEVER bored because there is ALWAYS something to be done. It was nice to just sit and clear my mind. Plus, who doesn’t like an epsom salt or a bubble bath?

Since our move from Germany, I feel like I’ve been running around like a chicken with it’s head cut off. Grad school is nearing its end so lets just say things are extremely stressful right now. I feel like this cleanse sort of hit a “RESTART” button for my body AND mind.

With a heavy heart, on to the next topic…

Constructive Criticism

I’m a pretty straight forward person. I don’t have anything to hide from anyone. I live my life as honestly as I can live it, and I try to reflect that on this blog. I also leave my posts open to comments as you know. I’ve gotten supportive comments on all of my posts including a few constructive criticisms which I LOVED. I like it when people can write in and say, “If that isn’t working for you, have you thought about this?” and so on.

That was until last week when I received this comment which I responded to, then she responded back.

Screen shot 2010-10-19 at 8.58.11 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-10-19 at 8.58.19 AM.png

I don’t see anything constructive in these comments. The author seemed to aim at minimizing my intelligence in making the right decisions for my body based on my experiences instead of “being concerned.”

I didn’t join an Ayurvedic “cult” because of this cleanse, and I didn’t drink the Koolaid. I’m a grown woman making my own decisions. I didn’t lose any weight nor did I feel hungry on this cleanse because I was able to eat as much vegetables and kitchardi as I wanted. This was NOT a starvation cleanse. I’m not defending my choice to participate in this cleanse anymore than this. I didn’t even need to to begin with, but since my blog is considered a “healthy living blog,” I thought that I would make that distinction.

If you don’t like reading my blog and you feel that I’m an idiot who follows all the “trends” blindly without any intelligent thought involved, please don’t read my blog and please, please, take your negativity elsewhere.

As for my loyal supportive readers, thank you for always supporting me in my life choices and not putting them down. Take everything I and other bloggers say with a grain of salt. Everyone’s body is different. In the end, you have to do what is best for YOU. Β I’m simply sharing my experiences with you, and you are making the conscious decision to click on my website and read my content.

To close, I will leave you with some cute puppy pics to lighten the mood. πŸ˜‰

He has gained 3 pounds since we brought him home a week and a half ago!

• Rosey Rebecca October 19, 2010, 10:29 am

I can’t really type that much right now (bc of surgery), but I want to tell you that you should do what you feel is right for your body, and don’t let anyone get in the way of that.

the. end. <3

• Nicole October 19, 2010, 10:33 am

haha. Thanks! You need to sleep!! πŸ˜‰

• genesis October 19, 2010, 10:33 am

definitely nothing constructive there, but hey to each their own i guess.

kai is so adorable!!!

• workout mommy October 19, 2010, 10:38 am

i might have to come back often to admire those adorable puppy pictures!

I agree….it’s your blog and if people don’t like it they should just move on. Why people insist on dropping negative comments all the time is beyond me!

• Kristina @ spabettie October 19, 2010, 10:40 am

oh my stars, the SWEETEST pup !! πŸ˜€

I know you went into this with your research done. I know how it feels to be uncomfortable, and your approach to Fix the Problem rather than Cover the Symptoms is admirable… just as publishing opposing views is, however mean spirited and ineffective they may be.

Obviously you received positive results – hopefully they will be long term – and remembered the importance of self care in ways unrelated to diet + exercise – All Good Things!

• Nicole October 19, 2010, 11:49 am

Thanks for the support.

The beauty of this cleanse is that it helped me realize that everything is connected. Fueling your body and mind to exercise efficiently, then treating your body to a nice bath or a massage or simple meditation erases all the stress so you can do it all again the next day.

• Abby October 19, 2010, 10:41 am

I agree with Rebecca! And I also like what you wrote in bold at the end.. if you don’t like the content of the blog..DONT READ IT. I know I have a reader who only leaves criticism in her comments and I just stopped publishing them and I emailed her directly about it. If you have a problem with what I write, just don’t read my blog. Be a big girl and don’t leave nasty comments, either. Got a problem with me? Send me an email.

I think you handled this the right way.. This girl is just blowing off steam and I think that you making it public will be a good way to get more feedback.

I support yoU!

• Sarah for Real October 19, 2010, 10:42 am

I think that commenter did not bother to read your original post. They sound like the closed minded one to me. Whenever a person posts something about a “cleanse” there are these kinds of people who, I believe, are drinking the Western medicine Kool-aid. I’m going to say, nicely, that I think she has a bee up her bonnet about cleanses. Maybe from a bad experience, more likely from a place of no experience whatsoever.

I’m wary of cleanses since there are so many bad ones out there but I thought your post was very refreshing. It sounded like a well thought, well practiced, healthy plan guided by experts. I love how it has such a strong meditative aspect. I think that speaks volumes about how different this cleanse is than the typical Hollywood juice fasts.

• Nicole October 19, 2010, 11:37 am

I completely agree with you. I really think the word “cleanse” scares the crap out of people. This was in no way equal to a juice cleanse! :)

• Jasmine @ Eat Move Write October 19, 2010, 10:43 am

This almost reminds me of Marie Claire again. Because there COULD have been a constructive discussion come out of that commenter. Like, I think it’s a valid topic to be discussed: Are cleanses good/bad? etc. However, this is yet another example of a strange personal passion shading commentary to the point that it becomes an attack. Like, why is she so passionate about what YOU do with your body. Clearly, you don’t need to be starving yourself, but that’s obviously not what you were intending to do.

You struck a chord in her, clearly. I’ve read frequently that if you’re not upsetting somebody, you’re not making a difference, so chalk it up to that, girlfriend. :)

• Jasmine @ Eat Move Write October 19, 2010, 10:44 am

“Like,” I sound like a California Valley girl. lol. Please excuse the “likes.” Seriously. :p

• Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 19, 2010, 10:49 am

What a cute pup! And while I know for me personally i would never feel comfortable doing a cleanse like that (castor oil freaks me out ;)), I would never judge you for doing so. In fact, I think its admirable you know your body and what you can handle. You also were smart in choosing something that could assist your current ailments in a natural and non-restrictive way. You did it and it had some good benefits. It doesn’t mean you are going to live your life eating that way forever or that you’re telling everyone they MUST try this cleanse because its amazing. You simply shared something you wanted to experience on your blog. There is absolutely NO shame in that.

• Nicole October 19, 2010, 11:39 am

Oh heck no! This cleanse is only prescribed to do once a year, and I haven’t decided whether I want to do it again or not.

• Katie H. October 19, 2010, 11:00 am

I’m glad you had such great results! As for the negative commenter-whatever. It’s comical that she tried to couch her rant as a statement of “concern.” It must be frustrating when people jump to ridiculous conclusions based upon preconceived notions that they have in their head. I think you handled it well :)

Look at the wrinkles on your pup’s neck- he is going to be a big boy! So cute!

• Lisa October 19, 2010, 11:02 am

Not everything is for every body. I fully support you in your ayurvedic cleanse. I’ve seen other friends do it and it helped them as well.

P.S. Your puppy is TOO CUTE FOR WORDS!!! Oh my god!

• Spokane Al October 19, 2010, 11:12 am

I really don’t know much about much, but do know that with a blog we open the door to ourselves, our thoughts, beliefs and vulnerabilities. I think that person could have been a bit more gentle in her comments, but perhaps that is not how she is wired. I have also read much concerning cleanses and come to many of the same conclusions as she. However, as I have gotten older, I now tend to attempt to keep many of my opinions to myself (and am not always successful – I am a work in progress).

In conclusion I would note that you get a bazillion comments from people who love what you write and how you live. Every now and then you will receive a comment from a person with a contrary opinion – don’t sweat it, encourage the discourse and look at is as a necessary test of the thickness of one’s skin.

It’s all good.

• Nicole October 19, 2010, 11:41 am

Thanks Al. I’m not losing sleep over it, but I was a little annoyed.

• Sara October 19, 2010, 11:13 am

Personally, I understand where the commenter was coming from, just because I’m not a big fan of the idea that the body should be cleansed, or that there’s something inherently dysfunctional about our digestive system, however I think her attempt to voice those concerns came across as insulting and demeaning, which really isn’t called for. I agree with what Jasmine said above, in that this could have been a very constructive conversation, but instead it turned ugly and came off as belittling your ability to make your own decisions for yourself. When I read your original entry about it, a slight part of me did want to comment about cleanses in general, but I withheld it because you explained very clearly that you’ve been suffering from undiagnosed, untreated digestive problems, and to me, that’s reason enough to try something “untraditional” like you did. In the end, I think it’s a valid for anyone to voice concerns over the things people try and talk about on their blogs, but if we can’t do it in a productive manner that encourages discussion on the subject, it only turns people off. If her goal was to discourage you, she actually managed to do the opposite.

• Nicole October 19, 2010, 11:44 am

I completely agree with you. I have read some blogs that I’m not going to mention that seriously scare me in the way that they calorie count and nitpick over their weight. I’ve wanted to comment, but haven’t. I think if people do want to comment, it should truly come from a place of concern.

Plus, I think the word “cleanse” freaks people out. πŸ˜‰

• Nicole October 19, 2010, 11:46 am

P.S. I LOVE your blog name. I miss my grandma’s tortillas.

• Lindsey @ SoundEats October 19, 2010, 11:16 am

Adorable pup!

While I don’t know if a cleanse like this would be right for me, and certainly not something I want to try/ experience right now, you are an EDUCATED, RESPONSIBLE woman and you clearly were approaching this as intelligently as possible. I don’t “know” you, but from what I’ve seen, you aren’t one to jump willy-nilly into the latest trends or scams. And, although I’m certainly not one to make accurate judgments on this, it definitely does not seem like a starvation diet in any sense. You can eat, you seemed to still be getting a decent ratio of all macro nutrients, and you supplemented with plenty of nutrients from fresh veg. and some dried fruit. All that to say – live your life, trust yourself. :)

• Graze With Me October 19, 2010, 11:18 am

Good for you – I’ve yet to get any negative comments in the almost 2 years I’ve been blogging and I feel really lucky because of that. If (and when) I do get one, I hope that I can respond similarly. If you don’t like reading a book, you stop reading it right? Same goes for a bad movie, turn it off. I don’t get why people need to put their negativity out there (unless it’s for a very good health reason) just to put someone down. Makes no sense. Stop reading if you don’t like it!

Anywho – I’m glad you post about new experiences and I think toxins are a huge deal in our lifestyle nowadays. It’s good that you found benefits from this experiment and I hope you feel better because of it!

• Diana at Diana Tries a Tri October 19, 2010, 11:36 am

My oh my. Well, hey it worked for you, so alls well ends well I suppose. It is shocking to me how negative people can be with other peoples choices. And just as you said, you’re a grown woman, so even if you were ‘drinking the koolaid’ it was your choice!

That puppy is so precious. I would have a hard time doing anything but snuggling him!

• Joanna Burgraf October 19, 2010, 11:59 am

I noticed that at first I reacted angrily towards her comment, at the same time I’m glad you said something about it and addressed it head on. The crowd is tough for people who go against the grain and choose to follow alternative forms of self-care such as cleanses. Some people freak out at the notion of seeing a homeopath, chiropractor, massage therapist or do energy healing. Does it make it any less valid?

We live in a time where information is exchanged at such a high rate that what is popular today will be considered toxic and harmful in 3 months. There is no magic formula to health, there is no fountain of youth and modern medicine does not have all the answers. We’ve got this life to live on this planet right now and it’s up to each and every person to take care of themselves first and foremost.

If I may, I would like to suggest using this comment as a reminder that we live in a world where differing opinions are common and some people will be more vocal than others (I bet for every one negative comment there are a dozen of folks who just hate on your blog and don’t say anything). At least she was brave enough to voice her opinion, and who knows what she really meant. Not everyone is great at being eloquent and constructive. Maybe this is the only way she knows how. It’s like what Al said, she may not be wired that way. At the end of the day do be grateful that she cared enough to say something, she is obviously passionate about her point of view even if you don’t agree with it.

• Nicole October 19, 2010, 12:05 pm

Amen, sista to going against the grain.

I think that it is great that she shared her opinion, but honestly, there is no excuse for the way she did it.

• Joanna Burgraf October 20, 2010, 1:17 pm

You’re are totally right, not an excuse at all. I was offering a more empowering way to look at it, anger has a tendency to leave us powerless. You are a powerful woman and you share yourself very openly, so what I meant was more as a way to have you look at it from a different point of view and gain something for yourself and clearly you already have. Hope that makes sense.

• Spokane Al October 19, 2010, 12:24 pm

Just one last thought concerning your ending comment, “If you don’t like reading my blog . . . please, take your negativity elsewhere.” I believe that too many people today are only reading and listening to those whom they agree with, rather than following others with differing, if not completely opposite opinions. This, I believe, is leading to a people with deeply ingrained stove piped perspectives, and by following only those who one agrees with, our opinions become ingrained and validated rather than challenged. And it can lead to minds closed to alternatives.

I suggest that if possible, we should attempt to remove the portion of the disagreement that strikes us a personal and rather, analytically consider the perspective rather than the tone or temperament.

I follow some blogs of writers who absolutely incense me with their political and topical perspectives, but I will admit that I often learn from them.

Of course all that is easier said than done. Just ask the politicians.

• Nicole October 19, 2010, 12:28 pm

Al, I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, but they should do it in a constructive manner. I don’t like being compared to a person who jumped on the ephedra bandwagon.

You have put a lot of thought into this. haha. Are you done racing for the season?

• Charisa October 19, 2010, 12:25 pm

You puppy is adorable. Always be true to yourself, if others can’t handle that they shouldn’t read your blog. Hang in there – I am glad you are feeling better!!

• Nicole October 19, 2010, 1:07 pm

Thanks, Charisa! Congrats on your new HIM PR!!

• jrm October 19, 2010, 1:29 pm

I have to admit that when I read “cleanse” the other day (was it yesterday?) I cringed and thought of the lemonade diet, but I am glad you elaborated because it sounds the regimen you followed was well rounded and beneficial to you. Not that you need my approval but more “ok so maybe all cleanses are crazy”. Anyway glad it helped.

Also, OMG PUPPY! So cute and sweet.

• jrm October 19, 2010, 1:32 pm

Oh crap. That should say “maybe all cleanses are NOT crazy”.

I was distracted by the Pupppppppppppppppppy!

• Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 19, 2010, 1:44 pm

As I mentioned to you in email, I get 1-2 negative, rude, ignorant, vile, disgusting, and awful comments daily. Have no idea why but I get them. Well I do have many theories but too much to go into here :)

I have found the best way to deal w/ neg comments or those that are not suitable to print nor do I want FOREVER in my archives…the delete key. I delete them, I dont respond to them, I dont engage the commenter; they dont see my point of view, I dont understand theirs and if they are coming at me from the shadows w/ hate and venom, there is nothing I am going to say to change them and bringing attn to it only burdens my other readers, 99% of whom are awesome. So I just delete, move on, and try not to be too offended..but yes, easier said than done.

HUGS!

• Dawn (HealthySDLiving) October 19, 2010, 1:47 pm

I’m sorry, the only thing I see is the ADORABLE puppy! Awww!

• Samantha Robertson October 19, 2010, 2:10 pm

That puppy is THE cutest!

I have problems with constipation as well, and I’ve noticed that when I eat more, and work out less, I have LESS issues with it. But what has seemed to be the most beneficial, surprisingly, was acupuncture.

• lindsay October 19, 2010, 2:13 pm

wow, I would have totally deleted that comment and ignored her but you responded in a GREAT way! I think cleanse is a relative term as you mentioned. Its good to experiment with water you body might need and I think as an athlete, you are VERY in touch with what it needs or doesn’t need for the time being. I love this post, way to be strong!

• Suzanne October 19, 2010, 3:45 pm

I think the price we pay for putting ourselves out there and being honest is that people feel that they are entitled to offer whatever opinion they have in whatever form they feel acceptable. They shoot from the hip without taking into account that the person behind the blog is just that, a person.

At the end of the day you have a responsibility only to yourself. Doing what you feel right for you is the right thing to do.

Glad that you are feeling better. Unscientific voodoo worked for you πŸ˜‰

• Amy October 19, 2010, 3:56 pm

Sorry about the crappy comments, but holy cow I want to snuggle with that puppy! So stinking cute!

• Pure2raw twins October 19, 2010, 7:32 pm

oh girl, sending you hugs!!!

We have received not so nice (some very rude) comments and emails before about things we do on our blog. But hey it is my blog…my body…I can do what I want with it. And in terms of voodoo…omg I could scream at that person. I have done a very similar cleanse ago and loved it. I think there is a purpose for cleanses…your body does need a break from digesting things. Especially people like who have stomach issues. I am actually considering doing another cleanse after reading about yours ; )

In terms of constipation, girl I have had this problem my whole life. And it is just now starting to get better. Eating better has helped, but also when I eat, etc. Everyone is different, but what has helped me is not eating first thing in the morning. I just sip on hot water till I go to the bathroom. Now not every morning have this opportunity, but when I do it helps! It took months though to get used to not eating first thing. Also colonics have helped me too.

I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better from the cleanse. xoxo

• Jes (@ Self Motivation) October 20, 2010, 6:03 am

Aw, I’m sorry about the negative feed-back. Stomach and intestinal issues are the worst!

I do love your puppy!!! He is so cute!

• Heather October 20, 2010, 7:25 am

He is just so precious!
    I just wanted, like so many others, to offer my support. I really appreciate your honesty and openness. It helps me to see myself and my options from a new point of view. I don’t comment often but I read your blog daily and it really motivates me. Thanks!

• Ryan October 20, 2010, 9:16 am

Ha! I love haters… next time send them my way.

I’m still kind of smirking at the thought of “dirty” girls. I know wrong context but a guy is a guy and what guy doesn’t like a “dirty” girl. :-)

• Linda October 20, 2010, 10:07 am

I support you for being strong enough to defend your choices.
    What works well for the health of one person may not do so for the other, and if you feel it was beneficial to you, then it definitely was.
    I’m glad to hear that the cleanse worked for you. :-)

• Vanessa October 20, 2010, 10:17 am

I like your blog and you inspire me to be healthy, although I don’t think I could run marathons, the idea has entered my mind only from reading your blog, so thanks!

Regarding the other person, some people only have a one sided point of view. Cleanses like the one you did not only help clean your body but make it easier for oyu to enjoy healthy real food, not the junk. I know from personal experience, after a cleanse, or just healthy eating for a while, eating junk food or eating out makes me feel yucky… Maybe because that food isn’t good for the body, but I agree sometimes it helps the PMS cravings :)

Keep it up and you have helped me also realize that I have had IBS for a good part of my life and I am now symptom free for over a week :)

• RunToTheFinish October 20, 2010, 1:27 pm

i don’t understand why people feel the need to criticize for no reason or without thoughtful details. now I have commented to people when it seems they are taking extreme measures or seem unhappy with what they are doing. But i read your cleanse process and it seemed very sound and solid for someone being healthy

• Erica October 20, 2010, 2:29 pm

Glad that you enjoyed the experience. I’m not sure why people feel the need to leave mean/nasty comments…I dunno, what are they achieving by doing so?? Your puppers…melts my heart

• Mike October 20, 2010, 5:11 pm

Nicole, I learned long ago you have fans and you have detractors. Part of life is learning how to ignore those negative people. Take some time, center, and let this one go. You are better than this. :)

Mike

• Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 20, 2010, 8:35 pm

Hey sweetie! I for one really enjoyed hearing your thoughts and feedback on the cleanse :) Both good and bad!

• Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather October 21, 2010, 7:06 am

I think that everyone needs to choose what to do for themselves as they please. I’m glad you felt great after this cleanse and hope you continue to feel that way.

Your pup is uber cute, makes me want to get another doggie :)

• Alina (Duty Free Foodie) October 21, 2010, 10:17 am

I kind of want to try an Ayurvedic cleanse now – I enjoy trying new things and experimenting on how they make my body feel, as long as they do not seem dangerous – and if I don’t feel better, I stop. Which I am sure is what you would have done as well.

By the way, a coworker of mine nearly died from a very severe allergic reaction to wheat a year and a half ago, and she stopped being able to eat a lot of things (you would be surprised how many random foods, like salad dressing, contain wheat). Anyway, the hospital did save her life, but the only thing they could do afterwards for her was give her an epi-pen and tell her to avoid wheat. A few months later, she went to a naturopath, who prescribed a cleanse involving oil pills and lemon juice (I don’t remember all the details). Anyway, she can eat whatever she wants now, no near-death experiences. Just saying – it’s not voodoo if it works, and there is no need to judge something until it’s been discredited by actual science. (discredited is NOT the same as not-yet-researched).

• Nicole October 21, 2010, 10:54 am

You are absolutely right about the difference between discredited and not yet researched. πŸ˜‰

• Ghadeh October 24, 2010, 11:23 pm

Hi Nicole, your blog is simply awesome πŸ˜€ and I love reading it, you totally inspire me…

Ghadeh

• Habeela November 5, 2010, 4:48 pm

Your puppy is SOOOOO cute!!!! And I think it’s awesome that you did a sensible cleanse instead of a starvation cleanse. Glad to know it worked well for you. I’m always skeptical of the cleanses but this actually sounds somewhat sane (if not still icky). Have you tried using ground flaxseed in your diet on a regular basis? I have gastro-intestinal distress a lot as well and I add ground flaxseed to my granola and it works wonders for my stomache (and presumably my face).

• Nicole November 8, 2010, 1:13 pm

Girl, I if flaxseed was all I needed, I would have fixed this prob years ago! Thanks though!! πŸ˜‰

• Mike March 7, 2013, 10:45 am

I feel sorry for Alexa. You can feel her close mindedness and negativity seeping through her words. What I’ve found many times in my life is that the people that take the time to harp on others are actually wanting to go down your chosen path but are for some reason afraid or resistant. What Alexa does not realize is that there are many approaches to cleansing, but one of the biggest benefits of relieving your digestive system is not only the release of toxins, but also the release of negative emotions. This is why anyone who has ever followed through with any type of cleanse uses words like clear, energized, clean, revitalized, refreshed, new, and amazing to describe how they feel. Thank you for sharing Nicole!
    Ps. EVERYONE should cleanse at least once a year!