Change the Way You Move October – Geek Turned Athlete

Change the Way You Move October

This year has been a crazy one for me especially within the last few months. With moving back to the states from Germany, buying a new house/car, starting my last semester of grad school, and training for a Half Ironman, I feel like I need a break from structured training. I have decided to do nothing triathlon related for a month. Yes, that means NO running, NO swimming, and NO cycling for a month. I’m already craving a run. I’m not really craving a pool session, but I’m sure that will come. 😉 I am still teaching spin once a week though because I have to, but other than that, I don’t see myself getting in a great sweat session outside on my bike.

A lot of triathletes do this, at least that I have seen on the blogs. I really feel like it is necessary for me as well. I NEED this break! That is why for this month, I have declared it: Change the Way You Move October!

I haven’t been able to try a lot of new workout classes and/or machines at the gym because I’m always running, cycling, or swimming aka training for my next race. And no, I’m not a workout fanatic that is happy working out for 5 hours a day. I want to get my workout done so I can get on with my life! I wanted to use this month to try some classes and change things up!

I thought it would be really cool to involve my blogging peeps as well so we can motivate ourselves into trying new ways of working out or go back to some old loves that we haven’t done in a while (Get your mind out of the gutter!).

Yesterday, mine was the elliptical. It had been over a year since I had stepped on one!

I looked like a total freak at the gym taking pictures of me on the elliptical, but hey, that is the life of a blogger, right? I was on there for an hour watching The View. It was quite an odd feeling to be watching TV while I was working out. Usually, I’m running or riding outside and swimming in the pool. Next week, I will be meeting with my old friend, the stair stepper, who I haven’t seen in a few years. I can’t wait!! I have a secret though: I used to like the elliptical more than running, and I don’t anymore! I really think that I have stepped to the dark side of running. 😉

Today, I took a yoga class inside an actual yoga studio! It was lot different than taking yoga at the gym. There was lots of chanting, breathing, and chaturangas (my arms may fall off later due to these). Let’s just say that I am the least hardcore in my class as far as the poses go. I have lots to learn even though I have been taking yoga for years. Apparently all those gym yoga session teachers have been holding out on a bunch of different moves. I must have tried 20 new moves today that I had no idea existed. I ended the class covered in sweat and shaking. Heck yes, I’m going back. 😉

I have decided that I like yoga with more of the spiritual facet tied in. I don’t like talking about religion on the blog, but I practiced Buddhism for a few months in college. Although I no longer practice, I really liked most aspects of Buddhism. Yoga at an actual yoga studio takes me back to those aspects.

I’m rock climbing this weekend (haven’t been in forever!) , and I really want to try Zumba next week (I haven’t tried it ever!). My goal will be to try a completely new class every week!

So, are you interested in accepting this challenge with me? My goal is to have at least one featured post a week from one of YOU guys about trying something new and OUT of YOUR COMFORT ZONE! If you want to be a featured “Change the Way You Move” Blogger, you just need to email me at geekturnedathlete@gmail.com, and let me know you are interested. 😉

Are you going to try anything new this month that you have always wanted to try, but never had the guts to or were just too lazy to look up additional information about it?

P.S. The leaves are changing!!

P.S.S. Check out my guest post on Savvy Eats!!

• Erica October 1, 2010, 12:05 pm

What a fun challenge! I always like stepping out of my comfort zone and doing something different. The last new class I tried what hot yoga and I LOVE it. I wish I had more time (oh and $$) to do this more often 😉 You have to find a gym that has body attack and try it- I know you would love love it

• Nicole October 3, 2010, 8:15 am

I know I would love it too! I will keep my eyes peeled!

• Lisa October 1, 2010, 12:10 pm

This is a good goal for October. For me, a running injury has sort of forced me to change how I’m moving. For these 6-8 weeks I’ve been swimming and I started a weight lifting routine. I’m also going to take classes at the gym I never sign up for because I’m so busy running.

• merrymishaps October 1, 2010, 12:15 pm

What a neat idea, have fun with it!
    I won’t be changing my routine this month — my next marathon is in 30 days!

• karen October 1, 2010, 12:35 pm

sounds great! I took my first zumba class about a month ago. Loved it!

• Colleen Y. October 1, 2010, 1:09 pm

Great post!

While I’m not new to the movement (been going for 2.5 years now), I suggest pole dancing as a great mind/body challenge. Yep, you read correctly… pole dancing.

If anyone wants more information on the art or resources on how to find a good pole studio/instructor, I’d be more than willing to give some tips and tricks.

• RunToTheFinish October 1, 2010, 2:30 pm

I did this after my marathon and it helped me fall in love with yoga and taught me where I was out of shape! i started doing the Insanity DVD program and was amazed at how that helped me run faster when I started again.

Good for you…though the not running part is what would be my downfall, i lurve it

• Maddie October 1, 2010, 2:31 pm

I love the idea of trying something new every week! I’m totally a habit girl. I do the same thing over and over because it’s comfortable, and then I get bored and discouraged. This is an awesome idea!

• Amber from Girl with the Red Hair October 1, 2010, 2:40 pm

Yay, I’m glad yoga went so well for you!!

I am running my first marathon next Sunday (Oct 10) and after that I plan on taking at least a week, maybe a two week break from running. I want to get back swimming, biking, yoga-ing, weight lifting! I will really back off my training schedule for at least a couple months and then onto the next goal come January :-)

• Kris October 2, 2010, 8:32 am

Always good to mix things up – good for you! For me, I’ll do more outside walk/jogging things (that’s outside of my norm). For you? How about one of my favorite full body type workouts? It’s not out of my comfort zone, but it might be different for you?
    Enjoy!

• Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 2, 2010, 10:52 am

Sounds like a great challenge, and a good way to get out of an exercise rut and keep your body guessing.
    If I hadn’t started weightlifting heavy weights last winter I would never have realized how much better it makes me look and feel. I’m all about trying new things.

• Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 2, 2010, 10:54 am

Love the idea to mix things up. I think its great you want to take the opportunity of not training for an event to use it and try new things. I can see how much you would want to do anything different after the countless time you spend with the other workouts.

• Toronto Girl West October 2, 2010, 1:22 pm

I’m going to be running my first half on October 17th in Long Beach, California. Can that count as a guest post? :)

• Nicole October 3, 2010, 8:19 am

Sure, why not? Email me!!

• Habeela October 2, 2010, 3:09 pm

Looking forward to hearing how you like Zumba. I tried a class at a gym last week and it was interesting but not entirely my thing. I might try another class when I get home from the class I’m taking right now just to see how it compares.

Love the challenge you are setting up!

• Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] October 3, 2010, 5:36 pm

Ahhh, love fall leaves! Awesome October challenge :)

• kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com October 3, 2010, 10:56 pm

I LOVE THIS CHALLENGE!!! you’re amazing!! <3

• Jennifer @ Evolving Well October 4, 2010, 11:39 am

I truly enjoyed this post and its a great idea! I often find that I get in a ‘rut’ with my fitness routine only to workout less than I should because I’m no longer excited about it.

As for the yoga, I’m an instructor and most of the teachers that teach in gyms are not “real” yoga teachers. To explain- they go through an afternoon training at a fitness conference and then are certified to teach fitness yoga. An actual yoga teacher goes through at least one 200-hour teacher training and may even continue on to a 500 hour cert. I did my 200 a couple of years ago and now am working on the 500-hour.

Also, you should know that gyms tend to have very strict rules about the yoga classes. You aren’t often aren’t allow to chant or ‘OM’, or mention certain aspects of yoga practice like meditation. You aren’t allowed to adjust anyone. You aren’t allowed to talk about any aspect beyond the physical nature of the practice. It’s very sterile, actually. This is probably why you found the practice in a studio so much more enjoyable.

Good for you and so glad that I found your blog! Hope you keep up your practice and blog about it. :) Just curious, what style are you gravitating toward?

• Nicole October 4, 2010, 11:43 am

That makes so much sense now! Right now, it is Ashtanga, but that is the only kind that I have taken. My whole upper body was sore Sat and Sun b/c of that class. It was awesome, I have to say. :)

• Jennifer @ Evolving Well October 4, 2010, 1:56 pm

Cool! I actually am studying the Prana Flow style created by Shiva Rea down in LA. I really enjoy a fluid vinyasa class. :)

• leah October 5, 2010, 11:28 am

Hey Nicole! I think the recovery period from “training” is an absolute must. I know you’ve been “training” since January when you started working toward the April marathon – I also know you’re young and can probably stand to keep going, but the fact is you’ll do your body more good by taking a couple of months off. It doesn’t mean you can’t go for a run or a bike ride or zumba or anything else, but just don’t have a goal that you’re working towards – give your mind a rest and know it’s okay to let go. I’ve done the burn out routine and it isn’t fun – as a matter of fact, if you’re not having fun and when you say “I have to” do a workout, then it’s time for a rest. My body is done for the year – I’m planning now for recovery to last at least 3 months and will include yoga and lifting. Good luck girlie!!