Let Me Introduce You to Kai... - Geek Turned Athlete

Let Me Introduce You to Kai…

After searching for months in shelters for this breed, we had no luck with any close enough to drive. The hubs and I are believers in adopting from shelters about 90% of the time. In fact, most of our pets before this were rescue animals. I had a bad habit of picking up stray cats when I was in grade school even though I was really allergic. My mom could never say no to the little things too!

This past weekend, the hubs and I picked up our 7 week old male 4 pound Weimaraner from a breeder (NOT a puppy mill) in Ontario, OR. It took us 5 1/2 hours to get there from Spokane, and 6 1/2 hours to get back b/c of all the potty breaks for the puppy.

IMAG0042.jpg

He curled up around my neck most of trip.

IMAG0045.jpg

1009101814.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

haha. Doesn’t it look like I just gave birth? That was the strep throat that I was dealing with. But I’m still a proud “mom.” 😉 I was nesting for like the week before we picked him up. I might have well of been!

Yes, that is my camera strap attached to my camera. He is a feisty one!

DSC07687.jpg

He is a crier, and SO needy. He cannot stand to be in a room by himself, and unless he is outside, he prefers to be held!

I had to leave for a meeting for 3 hours last night, and Steve was supposed to of made spaghetti for some friends in the hospital during that time so that we could leave right when I got home. Well, when I got home, the kitchen was in shambles and Steve was trying to make the sauce with Kai in one hand while cooking with the other. Steve usually teases ME for the way the kitchen looks when I get done, but this was about 10 times worse than I could have ever done!!

After teasing Steve for being a pushover with the dog, I made him put Kai down so we could finish and leave! Kai cried for about 1 minute, then he found something else to do. Goodness, I feel like “mean mommy.” We simply cannot hold him 24-7. I didn’t expect the hubs to be the softy out of the two of us, but he is! He is off to work tomorrow so Kai might be home by himself for an hour while I run errands. We shall see how that goes!

DSC07699.JPG DSC07701.JPG

DSC07709.JPG DSC07710.JPG

His ears are SO soft!! I just want to kiss them all the time!!

DSC07713.JPG DSC07714.JPG

The hubs and I are exhausted from getting up to take him outside all night. I really do feel like we have a baby! We love him so much already. It is really hard to imagine he will be 85 pounds full grown!

I can’t wait until he is big enough to run with me. He will be my part time Ironman running buddy!!

Well, I’m off to clean the pee from our hardwood floors!! I really believe puppies are so cute so you don’t get mad at them while they are pooping and peeing on everything!!

Do you have any pets? Are you a “cat” or a “dog person”? I’m just an animal person. I don’t discriminate, however I’m too old to “put up” with cat allergies now. Wheezing and eyes swelling shut are not fun anymore!

P.S. The winner of the CSN $40 giveaway is Alicia from Poise in Parma. Congrats, and email me!!

• Erica October 11, 2010, 4:22 pm

oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is so freaking cute! Congrats mama! What a fur baby! You know about my Franky

• Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 13, 2010, 12:11 pm

Congratulations on the new addition.
      I’m in love with him! He’s so adorable.

I was lucky enough that when I picked up my puppy last year she slept the ENTIRE 3 hour drive home. No vomiting, no peeing, no fear, and no puppy antics. I knew she’d be right at home with us.

• Kristina @ spabettie October 11, 2010, 4:24 pm

OOOH ! he is the cutest thing EVER !! Jason is a Big Softie with Basil also… 😉

have fun with him !! <3

• genesis October 11, 2010, 4:24 pm

congrats…its a boy! 🙂

so adorable. i hope he gets to come with when we meetup, when you feel better that is. hopefully by then he wont be peeing everywhere by then 😉 has he been snipped already? you guys should breed him for MORE puppies..lol.

• Nicole October 12, 2010, 3:13 pm

haha. We are waiting to get him neutered so he can grow a little bigger with the extra testosterone. 😉

• Lisa October 11, 2010, 4:35 pm

OH MY GOD! WANT! He is sooo adorable! That’s one of the breeds that my boyfriend and I like too. Gorgeous dogs.

I have 2 cats. The boyfriend and I want a dog but we’re waiting until the kitchen remodel is done. I want a dog breed that won’t eat my cats too. 🙂 We like Weimereiners, Italian Greyhounds, black labs, pugs and French Bulldogs. 🙂

• Abby October 11, 2010, 4:39 pm

OH MY I LOVE HIM! So stinkin’ cute! I’m totally a dog person..and not just any dogs.. BIG DOGS!

• Nicole October 11, 2010, 4:40 pm

no wonder we get along so well!! haha

• Sarah October 11, 2010, 4:56 pm

Adorable! My favorite part is the puppy smell. Not the poo/piddle smell but the way puppies have that special puppy smell, Im sucking at describing it haha. Ive got a Jack Russell which is like a big dog in a little body. She’s 4 years old but still likes to be held all the time. That will eventually become difficult with a weim I imagine 😉

• Estela @ Weekly Bite October 11, 2010, 5:12 pm

OH MY WORD!!! I love him! Can he be any cuter?!!?!! There’s nothing cuter than a puppy! Well… maybe a baby… they’re a very close tie.

• Heather (Where's the Beach) October 11, 2010, 5:42 pm

OMG what an absolute doll!!!!! I want to just snag that cutie up! I have 2 dogs that are both rescues from breed specific rescue groups (cocker spaniels). I can’t wait to see more if this baby!

• Nicole October 12, 2010, 3:17 pm

We actually looked at a breed specific rescue group in the WA area, and the woman in charge was a B-I-T-C-H. After they were supposed to get ahold of us 10 days after we filled out an application online, it took me calling for 3 more wks every 2 days to get someone to email me back. Then, the email said that they didn’t have what we were looking for. It was written in a very rude way which I thought was odd since they should be wanting to give dogs to a good home!

I grew up with a cocker spaniel. They are way cute dogs!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) October 12, 2010, 5:32 pm

Oh that really stinks. I’ve heard of some breed rescues being that way. thankfully I didn’t have that experience. Your baby is just an absolute doll!

• Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes October 11, 2010, 6:03 pm

oh my gosh! how cute is he!? I love these dogs, big dogs in general really! Good luck with the new baby!

• lindsay October 11, 2010, 6:14 pm

oh my, I want her!! So adorable!! Now, that being said….puppies are a handful, but TOTALLY worth it. 🙂

• Emily Elizabeth October 11, 2010, 6:32 pm

Looooooove Him! He will make the best running buddy! He is so cute. I love the pictures of him sleeping. They are so precious.

• Caitlin October 11, 2010, 6:33 pm

I am in love. Seriously. I am a sucker for puppies but ones with blue eyes? Man, it kills me. I am SUCH a dog person. We have an 85 pound yellow lab who’s curled up next to me right now. He is a sweetheart who thinks he’s a lap dog. I remember potty training him. Ooh, what a mess, but yes SO WORTH IT!! Enjoy your sleepless nights!

• Nicole October 12, 2010, 3:18 pm

Oh dang! That’s a big lab!!

• Kim @ One Fit Mama October 11, 2010, 6:34 pm

I am very much a dog person. While my hubby and I were dating, we rescued a beagle mix from a shelter. He was the most precious pup ever – unfortunately he got out of the backyard one afternoon, and was hit by a vehicle. I was nearly 8 months pregnant when it happened and my heart was broken.

Now that our daughter is 7 months old, we find ourselves wanting another dog. But I think we are going to wait until our little girl is a bit older. In the mean time, I will live vicariously thru your cute puppy pics!

• Nicole October 12, 2010, 3:21 pm

That is awful!! We just had to put my husband’s weim, Oliver, down about a year ago b/c he was basically paralyzed from the waist down and in pain. My husband was so upset. This little dog totally reminds him of Oliver, and honestly, I think Kai fills a void that was once there.

Good luck with your new puppy when you are ready for one!

• Jes (@ Self Motivation) October 11, 2010, 6:38 pm

Soooooo adorable! I am totally a dog person, but I now own 3 cats and cannot imagine life without them. I still look forward to the day I can have a dog again, but now I think I will also always own a cat.

• Katie H. October 11, 2010, 7:04 pm

Congrats to you guys! He is SO adorable! I am a sucker for dogs but cats are okay too. 😀

• Clarkie October 11, 2010, 7:57 pm

He is so loveable! I am an any animal kind of person, but due to where I live it is cats for now. But I love them both dearly!

• Jen October 11, 2010, 7:59 pm

Omg he is so adorable!!! Congrats!!! I’m totally a cat person buy he may have converted me to dogs 🙂

• Clair October 11, 2010, 8:39 pm

Oh, he’s adorable. I’m absolutely a dog person, and anxiously awaiting a lifestyle that will allow me to adopt one. Good luck with puppy training!

• greydogs October 11, 2010, 10:49 pm

just found your blog! i have 2 grey ones. stay firm, they wrap you around their little toes!
    good websites with lots of advice, if you didn’t know them yet :

• Amy October 12, 2010, 4:37 am

I’m in love! I just want to hold that puppy forever! When she gets bigger my dog would love to wrestle Kai! Too bad I live in japan! I am definitely a dog person and love the hunting breeds. Mine is a rescue, but she looks like German short hair pointer – spotty and cute. Her name is Rana, but she has tons of nicknames – Ranaroo, Ranarooski my sweet babooshki, Poopopotomus. I’m sure Kai will get some nicknames too. 🙂

• Katy October 12, 2010, 5:45 am

Adorable…totally. I love weimies!

Although, I have to admit I cringed a little bit at your stories…when we got Faegan at 8 weeks, he was too cute for words. Of course, the biting my ankles, stealing dirty laundry, crying at night and chewing through two leases was NOT so cute.

Now he’s 5 and I’ve (almost) stopped shuddering at the thought of puppies. 🙂 Needless to say, when we got our second dog, we made sure he was housebroken and old enough to be a little more manageable.

• Nicole October 12, 2010, 3:27 pm

Um, yeah. Let’s just say that I have gotten nothing done since he cries if I don’t hold him. Weims are so needy!

• Kim October 12, 2010, 7:25 am

SO so so cute!!! Congratulations on your new puppy!

I’m totally a cat person, but I’ve been wanting a dog for a while now. I’d love to have a pet to run with. For now, we are just away from home too much 🙁

• Susan October 12, 2010, 8:26 am

Congrats Steve and Nicole. He is adorable.
    Love you both.
    Aunt Susan

• Nicole October 12, 2010, 3:28 pm

Thank you, Aunt Susan!!

• Angela @ A Healthy Fit October 12, 2010, 9:16 am

So cute! I want a puppy soooo bad, but our current apartment doesn’t allow them. Oh well. Some day!

• Zoe October 12, 2010, 10:47 am

Kai is simply adorable!! I love weimaraners! He seriously will be a great running dog for you. 🙂 So cute! Being only 7 weeks, I’m sure he’ll want to cuddle for a while. 😉

• Kacy October 12, 2010, 10:58 am

Oh good gracious he is TOO cute! I want a running puppy buddy so badly, but the time just isn’t right. This post just made my puppy ovaries hurt though 😉

• Dave October 12, 2010, 12:46 pm

He is beautiful! And is going to get BIG too. Enjoy!

• Sandi October 12, 2010, 3:55 pm

Even as a “Corgi for Life” woman – I have to admit that he’s a cutie.

• Nicole October 12, 2010, 3:56 pm

He is waiting for his grandma to visit!!

• Faith October 12, 2010, 4:23 pm

He is sooooooo cute and adorable! I hoppe he’ll stay like that forever! before you know it he’ll trun big but still cute! 🙂

• Pure2raw twins October 12, 2010, 5:31 pm

Love Weimaraners! My best friend had one, loved him!! They are great dogs. I have heard they like to learn things to keep them happy, : )

I am a dog person!!!

• claire October 13, 2010, 8:04 am

AWW, I love him. those ears, that face, lil legs! Totally an animal person like you but my work is too crazy these days for a pet!

• Ali October 13, 2010, 9:13 am

OMG! he is sooooooo adorable! I love him! I love puppy breathe, enjoy it!

• Vanessa October 13, 2010, 10:14 am

So cute! Love puppies!

We used the puppy training pads, that worked well. Alos I heard cage training them works but I don’t like it 🙁

Can’t wait to see more pics!

• Katy @ MonsterProof October 13, 2010, 11:14 am

He’s adorable! And we have one of each (cat & dog). Love ’em both, for different reasons.

• Katie Rainey October 14, 2010, 1:46 pm

oh my gosh I love Kai!!!! he is ADORABLE! So happy for you two! Well guess what…… Barci your buddy has a new friend too:) Nieder’s is her name…. I got her from the vet clinic at Baumholder she was abandoned. She was 7 weeks old and now she is 9. We love love, love her and Barci is starting too as well, thank God!! You would love her as well despite your allergy:) Miss you guys so , so, much! Keep in touch ok!
    k

• Toronto Girl West October 14, 2010, 8:29 pm

Oh he turned out to be just absolutely gorgeous! 🙂

You know we have Daisy and we honestly love her like she’s our puppy daughter. I never want to go back to life without her!

• pen October 16, 2010, 12:28 pm

He’s wonderful! Congrats on the new addition to your family!

• Runner Leana October 17, 2010, 5:47 am

Such a cute puppy! Congratulations!

• Simply Life October 17, 2010, 2:02 pm

Oh what a cute dog!

• Grace October 19, 2010, 7:09 am

SO cute! I love weimaraners! Such beautiful dogs. I have a beagle myself. I’m also an animal person. Ideally, I’d love to have both a cat and a dog, but my BF hates cats… so, I have to content myself with dogs.

• lindsay October 21, 2010, 5:46 pm

Sometimes our bodies just need that active rest. Take advantage! and i LOVE LOVE the PUPPY picks. 🙂