First Run after My Half Ironman – Geek Turned Athlete

First Run after My Half Ironman

I decided to take more than a month off from doing anything related to triathlon after my Half Ironman. I needed a break from structured training.

Today, I ran for the first time since my Half Ironman. It was glorious. Can you just sense the excitement?

My legs have been restless for days. The elliptical just wasn’t doing it for me anymore. Nor was Zumba or Walking.

I wanted this so badly.

I needed this sooooooooooooo badly.

I laced my shoes up saying to myself: Just go for as long as you feel like it.

No garmin.

No ipod.

Just me, my legs, and the road.

DSC07786.JPG DSC07788.JPG

Having no music didn’t bother me at all. I just concentrated on all the Halloween decorations still up. That is a huge black spider in this person’s front yard, by the way.

And of course, the beautiful fall leaves. Sigh.

DSC07789.JPG DSC07795.JPG

Heck. There were leaves all over the street in some sections, I just ran and frolicked in them!

No pictures of me frolicking since that would be pretty difficult by myself to capture that shot!

I was brutally reminded that my house is surrounded by hills when my breathing started to be labored in the dry cold crisp air and my legs started the familiar burning.

The only good part about being surrounded by hills where I live is that at the bottom of one, there is a bakery/ coffee shop to refuel at before having to run back up!

I lasted for about 40 minutes since the wind started picking up (COLD), and I was not dressed for wind! It was perfect. It was just what my body and mind needed. I LOVE cold weather running especially in the fall. The colors are beautiful, and I look like a freak running around with a huge smile on my face this time of year.

My real off season training plan isn’t going to start until probably December, I have decided. November will be completely unstructured workouts including cycling, swimming, yoga, TRX (still need to do a recap of that for you guys!!), and running. I’m going to be doing what I feel like. Why?

Because I’m not really mentally ready for a structured plan yet.

and…

I’m nearing the end of my LAST semester of grad school. This next month is when most of my major projects are due. This means that things are going to start to get pretty hairy around here (which actually started early last week with me only posting once!). I will not have time to blog that much, but I will try my best. This also includes commenting on other blogs!! I will have more time when I graduate in December, but if you can cut me some slack this month, that would be great. 😉

What is your favorite time of year to run or be outside?

P.S. Thanks for all your kind words on Twitter last week regarding Kai! Poor thing. We thought he had Parvo, but the vet tested him for that which came up negative. He was up puking with diarrhea the entire night with the chills. The vet said that if he wasn’t better by morning, that we would have to hook him up to IVs. Eeeek!! Thank goodness, my little pirahna was feeling better the next day. We are thinking it was some freak 36-hour flu. He is back to his precious cute self while sleeping, and his annoying, peeing everywhere, drawing blood self when awake. 😉

Oh, and check out my healthy snack idea that was featured on Womansday.com. :)

• Lisa November 1, 2010, 4:56 pm

Beautiful fall colors!

Sometimes just RUNNING is good for you! After a year of training for Hood to Coast and then experiencing something like HTC….getting injured afterward was kind of the best thing that could have happened. I needed a break from structured training and there was no way I’d give it to myself any other way. My plan was to immediately start training for a half marathon. (snort)

During my hiatus, I’ve been focusing on weight training and just doing things I enjoy. It’s been nice!

• Erica November 1, 2010, 5:00 pm

I’m so sorry to hear the puppers got sick! Its scary when that happens because they can’t tell you whats wrong. Beautiful pictures from your run. Running feels just AMAZING sometimes. Best of luck with this last semester- very exciting.

• Book Worm Runs November 1, 2010, 5:00 pm

Those are gorgeous pictures!! I bet it felt amazing to get back out there today!! Congrats!!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) November 1, 2010, 5:11 pm

Yay on a nice run. What gorgeous fall foliage too.

• lindsay November 1, 2010, 5:26 pm

what a gorgeous and THERAPEUTIC run! Much needed. Hope the pups is doing better.

• Yum Yucky November 1, 2010, 5:28 pm

I haven’t got around to running with a iPod yet. Such beautiful scenery for a nice pod-less run!

• Jen November 1, 2010, 6:15 pm

Welcome back to running! Glad you enjoyed it!!! Great pics! I like running in the fall the most!!! Good luck with school!!

• Katie @ Up Fit Creek November 1, 2010, 6:31 pm

Great picture of your running shoes and the leaves.

I’m glad you enjoyed your run and that you’re listening to your body. Running in the fall is also my favorite time of year. The only downside is the slick leaves after it rains.

• Megan @ The Daily Sweat November 1, 2010, 6:44 pm

I love running THIS time of year. I went for a couple runs this past weekend and I absolutely LOVE the crisp air and the COLORS. I do love the leaves, but I started slipping a lot on them, so I wasn’t the biggest fan of them after my run. :) Glad you’re “back at it!”

• Sana November 1, 2010, 8:33 pm

School > blogs

• Amber from Girl with the Red Hair November 1, 2010, 9:23 pm

I think it’s great that you took a month off from structured training! I’ve had to take 6 weeks off (2 weeks to go!) from running due to an injury and I miss it SO MUCH but it’s nice to do other things instead. This blog post makes me SO excited for my first run when it happens, though!

• Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 2, 2010, 10:29 pm

What wonderful fall photos indeed :)

• Julie November 3, 2010, 7:08 am

I love all the fall pictures!
    I have lots of “favorite” times of year for running…the first real spring day, cool crisp October mornings…but running in the first light snow of the year has got to be towards the top of the list. Being on the trail with the snow making it extra quiet. Lovely!

• Caitlin November 3, 2010, 9:25 am

If I had such gorgeous scenery, I would seriously run sans iPod and Garmin, too. Oh I miss those leaves. Gorgeous shots here, girl. Also I agree school > blogs.

Good luck with everything! I’ll be praying for you!

• kate November 3, 2010, 2:31 pm

Gorgeous photos! Its the best time of year to run and bike in my opinion!