First Time with TRX – Geek Turned Athlete

First Time with TRX

After several failed attempts (the classes kept getting canceled) to make it to a TRX class at my gym, I finally made it!  The first time I ever heard of it was when Mike from 26.2IsMyCooldown tweeted me about how I felt about it. It looked like a string hanging from a ceiling. Not really intimidating if you ask me. I was wrong!!

I started doing crossfit with my husband this year, and that quickly fizzled out when we moved back the states. Our schedules were different, and to tell you the truth, I don’t trust myself around kettlebells without adult supervision (aka, my husband’s). If you knew me, you would agree, trust me. I’ve always been a fan of strength training using my own body weight.

I have nothing against lifting weights, don’t get me wrong (I have a phenomenal weights/bosu workout that I love!), but if I had to choose, I would choose calisthenics or yoga as a form of strength training. There is nothing wrong with that either!! You don’t have to lift weights to gain muscle or prevent against osteoporosis like some people tout. Using your own body weight can be just as effective.

Oh, and let me tell you how effective this program is. I went to a “Basics” TRX class that merely went over some fundamental movements that only scratched the surface of exercises that are capable on this device. I was shaking after doing just a few reps of each exercise. Holy crap!!! This IS more than just a rope/cord hanging from the ceiling. My abs seemed to be engaged during every exercise more than when they are when I’m lifting weights. I was so sore yesterday!! I also like the fact that you can adjust how hard it is depending on your angle to the ground and leg positions.

Screen shot 2010-11-08 at 8.12.56 AM.png

The best part? I can buy this and take it ANYWHERE with me! Actually, it would be nice if TRX would send me a free one to review in my own home (hehe). Being on a grad school budget, I think I will hold out on buying and go to classes for a while. :)
I really need to up my strength training during my triathlon off season, and this may be the way I will be doing it!  I really want to be strong for triathlon season next year. 😉
Screen shot 2010-11-08 at 8.13.30 AM.png

Ultimately, I don’t want the die hard weight lifters to get angry about this post. I am eager to try Body Pump, but there aren’t any classes near me or at my gym.

The point is: If you are not a fan of of what you are doing to work out, keep trying NEW things. What works for others may not work for you, and that is okay! Just keep trying new ways of working out, and you might just be pleasantly surprised!!!

Have any of you tried TRX? What do you think?

All the photos in this post were taken from the TRX website.

• genesis November 8, 2010, 9:05 am

they have TRX at our school gym but im too intimidated to try it. just my luck i end up tangling myself in the ropes and making a fool out of myself. totally not worth it. maybe in the privacy of my own home.

• Nicole November 8, 2010, 9:07 am

I totally thought that was going to happen to me, but the instructor made sure I was on the right track!!

• Diana @ Diana Tries a Tri November 8, 2010, 9:10 am

I’ve only used these during Tacfit workouts, but holy cow. It is intense! My arm are always SHAKING! Good for you keep it up! Oh and I love body weight workouts as well, though I do love those kettlebells :)

• Sarah for Real November 8, 2010, 10:08 am

There is a TRX studio at my gym. It looked super intense when I got my tour. I’m not sure I could handle it!

• Alina @ Duty Free Foodie November 8, 2010, 10:12 am

I completely agree with your point of view on bodyweight exercises! I enjoy weights as well, but I’ll take yoga or bodyweight circuits most days, and I think that bodyweight exercises are fantastic multi-taskers that target multiple related muscles for functional benefits you can actually apply to real life. Nothing wrong with that!

Re: TRX, I’ve been enjoying a Kettlebell/TRX combo class at my work gym. It really can kick your butt!

• Nicole November 8, 2010, 1:07 pm

Ooo, that kettlebell TRX combo looks interesting. As long as I have an instructor to make sure I don’t drop the thing on my head, that sounds like fun!!

• Joanna Burgraf November 8, 2010, 10:54 am

I love lifting weights, love circuit training and love a new challenge. I’m going to look for a class to try out TRX, looks awesome.

• Erica November 8, 2010, 12:07 pm

Hey now! I think utilizing weights and body weight are both great ways to get a weight workout in! Plus Body Pump is a lower weight higher rep workout…so I’m not sure its “hard core” ;). This workout sounds really interesting. I’d love to give it a go. If you’re ever in the Charleston area- you must come take one of my classes :)

• Nicole November 8, 2010, 1:08 pm

Girl, I WILL take you up for that next time I’m there! I’m so interested!

• Sana November 8, 2010, 12:16 pm

Omg is this the class you were tweeting about? I am so glad you went!

• Pure2raw Twins November 8, 2010, 1:39 pm

I have not tried trx before. I have heard of it. It looks like fun 😉

• Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 8, 2010, 1:53 pm

I’ve never tried it but it sure does sound intense. Things that use bodyweight and balance usually work me more than I expect.

• Angela @ A Healthy Fit November 8, 2010, 4:12 pm

I was suppose to start a TRX class at my gym today and it was cancelled. Total bummer!

• Di November 8, 2010, 4:47 pm

I love TRX! I am actually going to a class tonight as part of my instructor training prep. Hopefully in January I’ll be teaching it myself :) It really is a great addition to any workout regime and personally I LOVE the core conditioning I get from a TRX workout!

• Jess November 8, 2010, 5:34 pm

I’ve been dying to try this at my gym! It just never seems to jive with my schedule but now that I’ve read this, I MUST fit it in somehow! I’d love a TRX at home too, how great would that be??

• Bekah @ runtrackmind November 8, 2010, 6:17 pm

I like trying new fitness tools, but this looks so scary and hard. If the results are there, then I guess it would be worth a try.

• heidi @ runaroundaroo November 8, 2010, 7:38 pm

TRX + my coordination = terrifying thought!

It looks intense but I would probably die…I have NO coordination!

I MIGHT give it a try if my gym offered it, but it would take a lot of work to talk myself into it.

• Nicole November 8, 2010, 8:49 pm

Trust me, there is a reason why I don’t do team sports and I do triathlon/running instead. I’m NOT coordinated either. If I can do it, you can too!!!

• ryan @ learn poker November 10, 2010, 5:02 pm

The TRX is an awesome machine that I use at every chance I get! You should take advantage of this machine as much as possible!

ryan

• marisa November 11, 2010, 3:56 am

Wow! this looks like fun!!! I just went online to get some “training” and I’m looking into buying it for my own use at home. Wish they offered it on base here.

• Ange @ Health & Swellbeing November 11, 2010, 5:23 pm

I LOVE my TRX system! I was introduced to it a few months ago at a fitness conference and now I use it 2-3 times/week!

• Allie November 13, 2010, 2:18 pm

Wow TRX looks soo sick!! I want to try now! :) Awesome post!

• Sand Sock Girl November 15, 2010, 9:24 pm

Love the TRX workout system! It’s amazing how your mind is always right after a solid workout!!

• Alex November 17, 2010, 2:48 pm

I actually made something similar out of rope and PVC and prusik hitch years ago in afghanistan. I just ordered one after seeing it on your blog. Thanks!