Missing Europe – Geek Turned Athlete

Missing Europe

Since moving from Germany back to the states 4 months ago, I haven’t really missed it badly until this week. A reader emailed me about how to deal with the culture shock of coming back to the states after living in Europe for a while (she was moving from England back to Ca) a few weeks ago, and I did my best to encourage her that everything was going to be alright.

I know everything will be alright for myself, but sometimes I find myself longing for the sense of community that I had there that I haven’t found here in Spokane yet. We had a blast living and traveling throughout Europe for 2 1/2 years, and I consider myself lucky to have had that opportunity. I have been reminiscing over our experiences lately and thought I would share just a few with you just in case you missed them!

Bernkastel Kues Wine Festival

DSC02497.jpg

5K Walk Rodenbach Wine Festival (not a race, just vendors spread out over 5K)

DSC05121.jpg

Tour de Flanders in Belgium

DSC06400.jpg

DSC06525.jpg

Weinstrasse Half Marathon (basically a drinkfest after running 13.1 miles)

DSC06611.jpg

Now, back to my 30 page paper… :)

• Erica November 19, 2010, 2:14 pm

Such good times :) I loved reading about your adventures. I’m sure you will find a new community, support system and great friends where you are now. All that starting over stuff takes much to much time. Although I haven’t moved out of the country, I have lived in 8 states, so I can relate a bit!

• Lisa November 19, 2010, 2:18 pm

I love the pictures you included in the recap. I bet it’s very lonely in Spokane. Give it some time to meet some new friends and hopefully you can build another community there!

• lindsay November 19, 2010, 2:29 pm

the festivals are so fun! When I lived in Berlin for the summer, I went to the LOVE parade. That was CRAZY!! like madi gras on CRACK!

• Julie at Honey B. November 19, 2010, 2:49 pm

Awww I did the Paris marathon. I loved it. I couldn’t believe they handed out glasses of red wine towards the end when we were still running!! Hope they did it again this year. Lovely race. Lovely photos, thanks for posting!

• Katie @ Up Fit Creek November 19, 2010, 4:20 pm

I love how everything running-related is also somehow linked to wine.

I’ve only been to Europe once and that was 2 weeks in Spain in a very touristy manor. I guess I never realized how different living in the two places would be and how culture shock would be such a challenge. Very interesting.

• Spokane Al November 19, 2010, 4:23 pm

Things are definitely a bit different in the US vs. Germany. In Germany the community is much smaller, with much more in common, including work and play. In the US everyone tends to live much more separate lives and the communities are widespread and even if they work together, at the end of the work day and on weekends everyone heads their own direction.

I have found that it is a dramatic change from the close knit American community you had in Germany. But in time, things will soon seem, once again, normal.

• Nicole November 19, 2010, 4:25 pm

You so right Al!!! Everyone does seem to live much separate lives here. I have to admit, I haven’t been as social as I normally am b/c of school, but that will be over soon!!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) November 19, 2010, 6:34 pm

I would think it would be so hard to move back here, not matter how much it was your home. The experiences you had while in Europe were amazing. Talk about making the most of it.

• Ryan November 20, 2010, 1:16 pm

I lived in Southern Italy for 4 years where obeying traffic signals is optional… Luckily the highway patrolman understood why I ran the red light with no one around on my very first night back in the US.

I had to get used to automated change dispensers at gas stations and grocery stores. Farmer’s markets and small specialty shops vs. walmart and other large chain stores.

Gas $3 a gallon vs. $3 a liter :-)

No public transport :-(

Delta charging $600 for a 1 hr flight vs. Ryan air charging 40 euros to fly to london.

All the restaurants had play areas for children so the adults could enjoy dinner.

3 hour dinners :-)

The hardest thing to get used to was the fast paced life we live. I love how the Italians/Europeans are comfortable to sit and enjoy life without the need to be doing something.

• Katy @ MonsterProof November 22, 2010, 7:35 am

Like the first commenter, I have lived in 6 states (some a few different places within them), and 2 countries. I think moving, generally, is hard, and it takes awhile to adjust. Well, sometimes it’s easy, and you fall right into a great group, but some other times (like my current location), you can be there for 4 years and still feel like a bit of an outsider. Sometimes it just takes time, but you’ll get there.

• Rachel November 23, 2010, 11:12 am

I bet it’s a huge culture shock! Just moving from one city to another is a big deal. Welcome!

• Sima December 7, 2010, 4:08 pm

I can totally relate to you. I moved from England 5 years ago. I still find it difficult sometimes. But I prefer the weather here though.