Cycling Under the Tuscan Sun Part 6: Secret Garden and Olive Oil Mill – Geek Turned Athlete

Cycling Under the Tuscan Sun Part 6: Secret Garden and Olive Oil Mill

All of this snow and ice is driving me crazy to be honest. I don’t like it one bit. I slipped again this morning when I ran out to help my 84 year old neighbor who had fallen and broken his hip on the ice. He ended up needing an ambulance.

I’m daydreaming of riding my bike and running outside in nice weather. This reminded me that I never finished our Tuscany Cycling Honeymoon recaps for you. Just in case you missed the last ones:

DSC07337.JPG DSC07345.JPG
DSC07357.JPG DSC07359.JPG
DSC07363.JPG DSC07364.JPG

This hill SUCKED (pictured below)! I know that it doesn’t look that bad, but I was almost up it and didn’t switch gears in enough time. I had to walk up otherwise I would have tumbled to my death (well, not really), but I would have fallen backwards and that would have just hurt REALLY bad.

Why did I want to get up this hill? The olive oil mill was at the top, that’s why. I will tell you, I must have drank a gallon of olive oil on this trip. It was so freaking amazing. We pretty much went through our 3 bottles in 3 months when we got home.

DSC07377.JPG DSC07378.JPG DSC07379.JPG

The guides bought me gluten free bread to have with my bruschetta. This made me very happy. ;)

After a quick stop at a local bike shop for jerseys, we headed to our third hotel that happened to be at an organic vineyard.

Our shower was really tiny. I was bumping the doors open with my elbows while I was in there, but…

DSC08327.jpg DSC08337.jpg

this view was worth it…

Then, we hit up the spa before dinner…

My legs look really weird in this pic! I promise that I’m not an alien!

The day ended with a tour of the grounds and a great dinner. ;)

The owner, who all the ladies were swooning at, explained his passion for organic farming…

Stay tuned for our last day of riding and farewell dinner! Stay warm out there, please!

• Lisa January 13, 2011, 10:47 am

Soooooo jealous! That’s one of my DREAMS!

• Sarah for Real January 13, 2011, 11:02 am

Oh I hope your neighbor is ok! I helped my neighbor shovel her driveway yesterday but she insisted on helping… and then asked if I needed help on MY drive. Um, no thanks, your husband just had open heart surgery, maybe you’d better go take care of him.

That trip looks divine! Thanks for the warm pictures. I always hear about people drinking/tasting olive oil in Italy but the thought totally grosses me out. I guess it’s something you have to experience first hand!

• Julie @SavvyEats January 13, 2011, 11:25 am

I want to go backkkkk.

I mean, once I have time to train and get back in shape for the hills. There was an 18% grade hill on one of our rides…eeeeek!

• Joanna Burgraf January 13, 2011, 12:59 pm

I shared about your trip with my boyfriend and he loves the idea of it! You and your hubby inspire me so much to live an active lifestyle. Luckily the bf is a personal trainer and loves it that I love working out as much as I do. I’ve probably said this before but this is the perfect way to vacation.

• Nicole January 13, 2011, 1:02 pm

Oh, thanks!! We love life, and we try to live each moment to the fullest! It is the perfect way to vaca for sure! We still say to each other that our Tuscany trip was the best vacation EVER. ;)

• Jess January 13, 2011, 1:30 pm

Those pictures are stunning!! I SO want to go there now, if not just for the olive oil goodness!! And I’m with you…I’m so depressed that it’s icy and cold and not very fun for outdoor activities like running :(

• lindsay January 13, 2011, 2:01 pm

your poor neighbor! I bet he was glad to have you around! Ice is so dangerous, eek!
    Now you’ve made me really miss italy. Tuscany is one of my favorite places!
    LC

• Sana January 13, 2011, 3:23 pm

I always feel so sad for older people in bad weather :( I am loving the bloggy colors!

• Melie January 13, 2011, 11:15 pm

I think I have said that before, but that was the best trip ever! I always wanted to do the tour of Tuscany. Actually, I wanted to do the tour of Tuscany on a motorcycle and tour of Normandie on a bike. DOn’t know why but it’s always been my dream…

• Amanda January 14, 2011, 6:14 am

Where in Tuscany were you?!?! I’m going on my honeymoon in Italy for 2 weeks this upcoming August!

• Nicole January 14, 2011, 9:18 am

We cycled along the coast. As soon as I can find my map, I plan on putting it up in the last part of the series. You guys are going to have a blast! ;)

• Heather January 14, 2011, 9:31 am

What an amazing trip – wow!! So beautiful.
    And I totally love that you had an active honeymoon!

• Lisa January 14, 2011, 11:29 am

Beautiful pictures and yummy looking food!

• Laura January 14, 2011, 2:01 pm

what company did you use for your tour..? We’ve thought about doing this too!

• Nicole January 14, 2011, 2:02 pm

VBT We had such a great time. ;)

• Julie @SavvyEats January 17, 2011, 4:32 pm

We used Ciclismo Classico for a very similar trip in September/october and loved it!

• Allison @ Happy Tales January 14, 2011, 5:36 pm

Oh. My. LAWD. A biking trip through Tuscanay has always been one of dreams!!!!!! You are one lucky girl!!!

• Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans January 17, 2011, 1:23 pm

Those are beautiful photos of what looks to be an absolutely amazing vacation!