Dog Park! – Geek Turned Athlete

Dog Park!

Last weekend, we took Kai to a dog park for the first time in his life. He is about 5 months old now even though I still picture him like this:

A_6_Maudie_X_Blue_3_Wk__3_.jpg

He’s growing up!! *Tear…

Half the park was split up into a wooded area, and the other half was an open mud pit because of the melted snow.

DSC08050.JPG DSC08053.JPG

Since Kai is an only “child” we are trying to make sure he is socialized with other dogs. So far, so good!

He did, however, take out that kid to the right. It was really funny (but we still felt bad, sort of). Kai was running and ran really close to the kid. The kid got scared, jumped out of the way, slipped in the mud, and fell face first into the mud. The entire right hand side of his body was covered in mud. I looked around for his parents, and they were laughing too. I said that I was sorry, but what else could I do? It’s a dog park. We were expecting to get muddy.

That poodle definitely needed a bath by the time we left!

And so did Kai. After his bath, he was out for the rest of the day! We are soooo going back. Any chance to tire him out, we are going to take. 😉

Regularly scheduled blogging about fitness will resume next week. 😉

Ever been to a dog park? Do you like them?

• Erica January 29, 2011, 2:22 pm

awww! Kai is getting so big! Looks like the puppers had a fabulous time :) We’ve taken Frank to the dog park before….but hes sort of a jerk there….and he gets out of breath in like 10 minutes haha.
    Erica recently posted..E- Crock Pot Minestrone &amp Oat Soda Bread

• Sana January 29, 2011, 2:26 pm

bahahaha! so funny about the kid :)
    Sana recently posted..Tuna Kabobs

• Nicole January 29, 2011, 2:31 pm

We felt so guilty for laughing, but it WAS really funny!

• Sandi January 29, 2011, 2:35 pm

Parker – the rescue corgi and canine love of my life – is completely antisocial with anything with four legs. He would be Mayhem at a dog park.

• Kat January 29, 2011, 2:40 pm

Awe looks like so much fun! Our dogs love going to the dog park cept my yorkie has this weird tendency to pee on other owner’s legs. This only happens at the dog park.
    Kat recently posted..Peanuts birthday

• Marisa January 29, 2011, 2:42 pm

I can’t believe how big Kai is!! We stopped going to the dog park for many reasons, the most important one was Kekoa kept getting humped by a female Lab and the owners would not do anything about it (which was very irritating since they were there all the time). But we LOVED the park – except having to wash them afterwards.

• Toronto Girl West January 29, 2011, 3:13 pm

I’ve never been to a dog park – there are none here (although they are building one). And although there was one in Victoria, when we visited Daisy hadn’t had all her shots and wasn’t allowed to fully socialize with dogs yet.

But she plays with plenty of dogs! And generally loves! :)

Your little guy is looking kind of big!!! He’s so tall and stately looking!!!

PS: I kind of giggled at the part about the kid – I can’t believe his parents laughed at him too though!
    Toronto Girl West recently posted..Feeling the Love!

• lindsay January 29, 2011, 3:19 pm

we love dog parks! I can’t believe how big Kai is getting!! Wow!
    lindsay recently posted..Spice my Life

• Lisa January 29, 2011, 5:57 pm

He’s gotten sooo big!!! Oh that baby picture makes me swoon. 😉

• Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes January 30, 2011, 5:05 am

I literally laughed out loud to myself when I read the part about the kid! I’m glad he wasn’t hurt :)
    Dog parks are wonderful for getting some of that puppy energy out, especially if you add in a throw toy!
    Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes recently posted..Oops!

• Kelly January 30, 2011, 6:35 am

I love dog parks, but my dog doesn’t like to socialize with dogs he doesn’t know so I end up making more friends than him usually. He is such a funny snooty dog. :)
    Kelly recently posted..Turn a fail into a win

• Katy January 30, 2011, 5:18 pm

We like dog parks, but Harper takes a bit to warm up (if she ever does). You’d think German Shepherds would be tough, but she’s a total wuss, and gets so nervous. She tends to run around by herself. She’s perfectly nice to other dogs, but doesn’t tend to interact much.
    Katy recently posted..I Think My Husband is Nesting

• Andy January 31, 2011, 12:44 pm

I go to a dog park in Atlanta with one of my friends that has a dog and her dog always antagonizes the other dogs, so she does not go as often anymore. Otherwise it was a really fun experience.
    Andy recently posted..Finally a nice weekend to train outside!

• Mackenzie February 3, 2011, 4:43 pm

Um… I’m a female scientist who got into running after college (even though I sucked at it before) and am obsessed with running/food blogs. How did I JUST now find your blog? This is insane. Perhaps life is telling me to do a triathlon.

• Nicole February 3, 2011, 9:32 pm

Yes, it is!!!!

• Leigh February 4, 2011, 2:22 pm

Your puppy is adorable! We have a puppy who is about the same age as yours and we just started taking him to doggie day care once a week as we both work full-time. After the first day there, he slept the whole night and was even pretty lazy the next night! We haven’t taken him to a dog park yet, but that’s up next :)

• Kara February 9, 2011, 6:21 am

Your dog is adorable! He kind of reminds me of my mine, only for the child knocking over abilities. Mine pushed a toddler face first into a mud pit at the dog park too and I also laughed :)

• Lori @ According to Gus February 9, 2011, 8:23 am

I saw Kai’s photo on CNC and had to come say hello. He’s gorgeous! And yes, they grow up WAY too fast. We still like to picture Gus as a puppy too…it gets us warm fuzzies. :)

You’re very smart in socializing Kai now. We missed the boat with Gus and now he’s a strictly humans-only kinda dog.
    Lori @ According to Gus recently posted..blanketID

• Nicole February 9, 2011, 10:13 am

Thanks for stopping by!! Thank you for the nice comments about Kai, and let me tell you, he knows how beautiful he is, and tries his best to get away with whatever he can.

Yes, socialization is very important to us especially b/c he is an only dog right now. He is doing pretty well too!

• Jamie May 1, 2011, 12:17 pm

Where is this dog park at? Do you guys go there frequently? I own Kai’s brother Winchester and we live in North Idaho but I drive to Spokane very often, would love to meet up there sometime or something for the brothers to play?!! :)

• Nicole May 1, 2011, 6:47 pm

This park is actually on the Idaho/Washington border. I would love to get together!! There is another park that is actually in town near Highbridge Park that is closer that we go to a lot. Yes, email me when you are in town, and we will make it happen. I know Kai would love it. 😉