Gluten Free Cranberry Orange Muffins – Geek Turned Athlete

Gluten Free Cranberry Orange Muffins

Well, it’s Foodie Friday on Geek Turned Athlete, and I have the perfect muffin for a lazy Saturday morning this coming weekend. It is flavorful. It is kinda tart. It is fruity.

I used Pamela’s Bread and Flour Blend for this muffin. Before you start emailing me about how I didn’t make this from scratch because I used a GF version of Bisquick, let me stop you there. It is NOT the same. This is simply a flour blend that already has xanthan gum in it which helps the dough have some elasticity like regular gluten filled flour provides. That is it. I don’t like adding my own xanthan gum to flour mixes because I believe Pamela’s is the best baking substitute, but if you do, feel free to use Bob’s Red Mill flour blends and add the proper amount of xanthan gum to the amount of flour needed.

DSC07939.JPG DSC07940.JPG

Gluten Free Cranberry Orange Muffins

• 1 cup dried cranberries
  • juice of 1 orange (zest first for later)
  • 2 cups Pamela’s Bread and Flour Blend (or regular flour if you are fine with gluten)
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seed
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter or earth balance
  • zest of 1 orange
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar, plus up to 1 tablespoon for topping the muffins, if desired
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature (I haven’t tested this with an egg substitute, gf flours are tricky, but feel free)
  • 1/2 cup milk (your choice: cow, almond, rice, soy)
  • 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Put the cranberries and orange juice in a small saucepan, and bring just to a simmer over medium heat. Remove berries from the heat, and set aside to cool and plump.

Spray the muffin tins with a nonstick spray or brush with oil/butter. Whisk the flour, baking powder, flax seed, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.

With an electric mixer or stand mixer with a large bowl, cream the butter, orange zest, and 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Add the flour in 3 parts into the butter mixture, alternating with the milk in 2 parts, until just combined. Add the cranberries with juice and walnuts. Do not over mix. Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tin and sprinkle the tops with sugar.  Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Cool muffins in the pan on a rack. Serve warm and with a pat of butter or Earth Balance.

The hubs didn’t even complain about how they were gluten free. That says something about these!

Then, we made some mistos to have with our muffins while cuddling on the couch. Can you guess which one has almond milk and which one has whole milk?

Enjoy your weekend! Take some time to breathe this weekend if you can…

• Heather (Where's the Beach) January 7, 2011, 7:52 am

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I am definitely passing it along to my sister. She’s now had to go GF and is on the hunt for good recipes.

• Kim (Book Worm Runs) January 7, 2011, 7:58 am

Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing. And have a great weekend, too! :)

• Erica January 7, 2011, 9:13 am

Those mugs are SO cute. Delicious looking muffins. Love dried fruit in baked goods.

• Lisa January 7, 2011, 10:17 am

The muffins look awesome! I love the combo of cranberry and orange….mmmmm.

Have a great weekend!

• Lisa January 7, 2011, 11:14 am

Mmmmmm that melted butter just made me crave home baked goodies…

• Melie January 7, 2011, 6:21 pm

That looks amazing! Some times I wish I baked. Or at least had more people who do as friends. 😉

• Ben January 8, 2011, 5:59 am

I love those mugs! Where did you get them?

• Nicole January 8, 2011, 9:08 am

Thanks!
      I got them for a wedding gift. I have no clue where my aunt got them.

• Lisa January 9, 2011, 4:54 pm

oh yummo! Sounds delightful!

• Steena January 9, 2011, 4:55 pm

WOW you take some amazing looking photos!!! The muffin looks incredibly good, thanks for the recipe! And thanks for the book suggestion, I’ll definately find a copy!

• Dawn (HealthySDLiving) January 10, 2011, 12:27 pm

The muffins look amazing! And those mugs are too cute – I love them!

• Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans January 10, 2011, 12:48 pm

Prettiest picture of a muffin I have ever seen. You are very talented :)

• Jennifer January 14, 2011, 3:46 pm

I LOVE Pamela’s baking mix. I use it for chocolate chip banana muffins. My wheat-eating family asks for them all the time.

Your recipe looks amazing. I’m going to try it. Thanks!

• Michelle January 2, 2012, 1:05 pm

I made these to bring down to my in-laws for Christmas morning, and they were AWESOME!!! I was a little worried how they would turn out since the dough was super sticky and also, I had no clue what the hell zest was lol No worries, I looked it up and zested away! I highly recommend these.

• Nicole January 2, 2012, 1:30 pm

Good! I’m glad you liked them! I made them yesterday for after my run, and it reminded me that I need to make them more often! 😉

• Denise November 11, 2012, 8:04 pm

I’m going to make this tomorrow for the first time. It’s for a community supper and I look for a gluten free diabetic safe dessert. So my question is how many muffins does one batch make?

• Nicole November 12, 2012, 8:48 am

Um, it has been so long since I’ve may these so this would be a guess: This makes about 15 depending on how much you put in each muffin cup. You will not be sorry you made these! 😉

• Annie February 10, 2013, 10:22 am

These muffins are amazing! I made them slightly less healthy though. My son is dairy free, gluten free and on a no phenol diet. My G/F muffins have always been gooey and really heavy, these are light and fluffy. As I was completly out of flax seed I substituted oatmeal, my son is allergic to oj so I soaked the cranberries in coconutmilk. I added a few ricedream chocolate chips, these are so delicious! Not the ideal post workout muffin, but a wonderful snowyday treat! Thanks for sharing your recipe. :)

• Nicole February 11, 2013, 5:37 am

I’m glad you liked them!

• Janet April 19, 2013, 3:54 pm

Having just arrived home after five months away, my kitchen was almost bare. That being said, I substituted like crazy. Frozen cranberries, almonds, coconut oil, agave syrup, chia seeds were substituted for the obvious things. They turned out absolutely wonderful!!! Thanks for the great recipe.
    Janet recently posted..Wonky Layout for a Few Days!