Ice, Ice Baby – Geek Turned Athlete

Ice, Ice Baby

So, I survived my first week of training. I say “survived” because every limb is sore, and actually, my abs are sore too. The “soreness” is a good thing because I feel alive.  Apparently, I have lost a lot of fitness since last September. Thank goodness my Ironman isn’t until November. I have lots of time to train!

DSC07927.JPG DSC07929.JPG

This past weekend, a lot of the snow had melted away to leave slippery ice on most of the sidewalks. See above. When I left on a run on Saturday with Kai, the sidewalk in front of my house looked like below. I have two pairs of cleats that slip over my running shoes to wear on the ice, but since my sidewalk looked like below, I ventured out running without them. BIG MISTAKE. As soon as I got off my street, the ice covered the sidewalks and roads. I should have turned around, gone back inside, and put my cleats on, but I didn’t. I just kept running and slipping everywhere.

At 2 miles in, I actually fell really hard on my butt.

I headed home after that b/c I don’t need to hurt myself in the offseason (or anytime for that matter). It just isn’t worth it.

When I fell, I put my hands down on the ice to catch myself, and my garmin ended up cutting me. So, I’m lucky that I only have a cut up wrist and a bruised butt. I’m well aware that it could have been worse. I’m not going outside to walk the doggy or run without my cleats until I know for sure most of the ice is gone! It was and still is bad!

DSC07952.jpg DSC07950.jpg

Besides running, I also did some indoor cycling and some free weights.

Of course, Kai thought my mat was for him to chew on. He did help make my planks harder by trying to hump and bite me. haha. He is such a pain in my butt! At least he is cute.

DSC07955.JPG DSC07960.JPG

Besides falling on my butt, I also enjoyed some lovely spicy Ethiopian food this weekend. The hubs and I are kind of obsessed with the stuff. It is sooooo good! I tried some spiced Ethiopian tea as well.

IMAG0135.jpg

I know it looks weird especially when you have to eat with your hands, but I promise you, it is good!

IMAG0136.jpg

How was your weekend? What did you do? Try any good food lately or slip and make yourself bleed? 😉

P.S. Great post over the weekend dealing with Desire v.s Drive. If you have some time to read this, you must!

• Pure2raw twins January 10, 2011, 4:42 pm

oh no!! I hate when I fall on ice. I have done it a few times, but never working out. Good call on not hurting yourself.

Your pup is so cute!!

• Erica January 10, 2011, 4:42 pm

oh my gosh! I’m glad you’re OK! Although I’m sure your wrists are killing you. I’ve never had Ethiopian food…I’d give it a go! Weekend was good. Full of family time

• Heather (Where's the Beach) January 10, 2011, 4:45 pm

Ouchie. I’ve slipped and fallen on ice and had a bruise that looked like it warranted a trip to the ER. Hurt to move my entire leg. Thankfully my dogs don’t eat our yoga mats (yes we have more than 1), but they like to lie down on them as soon as I roll one out.

• Lisa January 10, 2011, 4:51 pm

I LOVE Ethiopian food. There’s a great one here in Portland called Queen of Sheba. It’s been ages since I’ve been though.

• Nicole January 10, 2011, 5:03 pm

That is the name of the place that we went to on Friday. Good stuff.

• Sana January 10, 2011, 4:52 pm

I actually love love being sore, it reminds me of how strong I am, you are stronggg!

• lindsay January 10, 2011, 4:56 pm

oh ouch. I’ve done that, not pretty! Did Kai give you kisses to make you feel betterI love Ethiopian food. Injera bread is amazing!
    LC

• Nrmrvrk January 10, 2011, 5:17 pm

I’ve only had Ethiopian food once and really liked it. The Yoga-mat bread is tasty. I wanted to do the Coffee ritual but we didn’t have time that day.

Saturday I ran the Bridle Trails Winter Running Festival 10.4 mi race. I don’t know how I placed yet but I put out a good effort. It was quite muddy and wet, but that’s a big part of the race. They have a 5mi, 10mi, and 50K (solo, pairs, & team) events. The race starts at 3pm to make sure that the 50K runners spend a majority of their time running in the dark (with headlights of course) through the very dark forest where it’s held. If you’re ever near Seattle in early January, give it a try.

• Melie January 10, 2011, 7:32 pm

I really like Ethiopian food too! And except for the coffee, they also have an amazing honey wine!

• Toronto Girl West January 10, 2011, 7:35 pm

So we went to Calgary. Next time I`m coming to hang out with you instead!

We ended up getting caught in a near white out trying to head back home. It was SUPER scary so we stayed in Calgary one extra night. Yesterday, I was all about how I don`t like winter.

But after driving through Banff today (blue skies, perfect day), I`m friends with winter again! :)

Sorry about your bruised and cut up self.

• genesis January 10, 2011, 8:55 pm

yikes, be careful out there. i was in town on saturday and almost fell twice!

is that Ethiopian place the new one that just opened recently? I know they featured a new one on the news a while back but I cant think of the name. Looks good though.

• Nicole January 10, 2011, 8:57 pm

I’m not sure if they are new or not. It is called Queen of Sheba. 😉

• Miz January 11, 2011, 2:58 am

OUCH!!
    I swear thats one reason I had to migrate south from the east coast.
    Im an iceSLIPPED just walking.

• Katy January 11, 2011, 6:56 am

Once you’ve done the Ironman, you should get a wrist tattoo right where the Garmin marked you. :)

I used you to push through a bad run the other day…I thought, if she can train for an Ironman in freezing weather, I can do 4 miles in the sun!

• Nicole January 11, 2011, 1:25 pm

You are amazing! 😉 I really want a tattoo, but I’m a Pu@#y. 😉

• Sarah for Real January 11, 2011, 9:35 am

Those icy sidewalks make me mad because it’s all due to folks not shoveling the snow! Shovel your walk people! It’s some sort of ordinance or law I think.

Glad you didn’t get hurt too bad! I bet Kai just slips and slides all over without a care right?

• LauraJayne January 11, 2011, 10:08 am

I’ve never tried Ethiopian food, but that looks delicious! Be careful – this is why I run (and bike, although not well) inside all winter long in Utah!

• Lisa January 11, 2011, 12:05 pm

I’ve never had Ethiopian food—but it looks fab! I really need to try it.

Falling stinks! Hasn’t happened to me lately…knock on wood!

• Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans January 11, 2011, 12:58 pm

I am terrified to fall on the ice. I can’t wait for the spring so I can run free again!

My dog lies on my yoga mat everytime its out. I think he thinks its his lol.

• La. January 11, 2011, 3:19 pm

My daughter likes to push on my back during planks! Makes it harder!!! It’s been too icey for me to run with the kiddo so I’m inside these days. And Ethiopian Food is divine! I just LOVE how spicey it is!

• Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com January 11, 2011, 5:30 pm

I can’t workout or do yoga unless I lock my dog out…he doesn’t get it either!!!

• Heather January 12, 2011, 5:44 am

I ran in the snow this weekend, too. It was an obstacle field trying to dodge all the snow and ice, but it was pretty fun!
    Hope your wrist feels better soon! Consider it a “war wound” – sounds more bad azz that way. :)