Robbing a Bank – Geek Turned Athlete

Robbing a Bank

This was originally posted two days ago, but justhost.com had problems with my server all night, and when the blog finally went back up, this post was missing along with all of your comments!  Sorry!!

(I’m totally reusing this pic, but it still looked like this yesterday!!)

This past Monday, I started my official Ironman training. Even in 16 degrees, or in 6 degrees. I was out twice yesterday with the puppy. I looked like I was going to rob a bank!

DSC07943.jpg

Sexy, no? I’m all nose, I guess. :) Usually I’m okay with wearing some ear warmers while running, but lately the cold here has been so biting that it feels like my face is going to fall off. About 10 minutes into the run, it also feels like I have really bad “brain freeze.”

Bring in: the gator. It is actually my husband’s (thus the ugly military color), and you are actually supposed to wear it over your nose, but I feel like I am suffocating so I don’t wear it that way. It is quite effective in shielding the wind and protecting the delicate skin of my cheeks. 😉

DSC07945.jpg

Do you also notice the dog toys on the floor (one is red, one is green)? Those are all over our house! I pray that no one stops by unannounced because I have shredded paper towels and dog toys sprawled all over my house.

Anyway it took me a while, but I finished my Arizona Ironman Training Plan for the year. It starts off slow, then ramps up to 18 hours for some weeks! Ack! Of course, I will build up to that. :) This plan is subject to change throughout the year. I might change training days for certain sports, etc.

I just joined the Spokane Swifts this week too! It is an all girls running team, and there are some pretty fast chicks on it. Remember how I was nervous about doing that? Well, taking into account my goal for this year, I had to join. It will be good for me to run with some chicks who are at my same level running or better. It’ll be a great way for me to improve! Plus, I still need a running partner. I sort of lost my training mojo after moving back to the states last year. I had a solid training group in Germany that I have still to replicate in Spokane.

It feels so good to be training again!!! It is time to get with it!

How is your new year so far? How are your 2011 Resolutions/Goals coming along so far? Have you used a gator before?

• Lisa January 6, 2011, 11:31 am

Yep! I’ve got a neck gator. I wore it last weekend when we were snowshoeing on Mt. Hood. It was 10 degrees!!

• Nicole January 6, 2011, 2:02 pm

You just reminded me that the hubs and I need to go snowshoeing again! 😉

• Healthy Chocoholic January 6, 2011, 12:09 pm

Good luck on the Ironman training!!!!!!! I’m just training for a half-marathon and even that seems like a lot to me! =P

• Erica January 6, 2011, 12:35 pm

oh my goodness! I cannot run when its cold outside…I am a wuss! Although- maybe I could with that much protection! We have toys all over our house too 😉 And the running group sounds awesome. I bet it will be so motivational. Goals are coming along very well thanks!

• Nicole January 6, 2011, 2:01 pm

haha. It is all about the right gear! I’m glad to know I’m not the only one with dog toys all over the place. He LOVES toilet paper rolls too. Those are always shredded in multiple places all over.

• Jess @ THIR January 6, 2011, 1:57 pm

I am so glad it doesn’t get that cold here….
    Even though I do look like a snowman sometimes in winter!

Just to make you jealous… it’s 34 deg C here today. :) But the air con in my office doesn’t work :(

• Nicole January 6, 2011, 1:58 pm

Thanks a lot! lol. I miss the warm sunny weather!

• Kailey @ Caffienated Nut January 6, 2011, 3:08 pm

ahh i love the feeling of being in training too!! its just amazing
    you have some amazing motivation to run outside in these cold temps. – i wish i did so I wouldn’t be logging my miles on the dreadmill.

• Amy January 6, 2011, 3:24 pm

Yay for signing up for the running group! My favorite time of the week is my Saturday morning run with my women’s trail running group. Have fun!

• Charisa January 6, 2011, 3:56 pm

The snow pic is beautiful! And you make me laugh in your ninja outfit :)

• Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free January 6, 2011, 4:56 pm

Hey! I just came across your blog via Pure2Raw Twins…and I really like it!!! Can’t wait to read more!

I know exactly how you feel-I used to live in Iowa, and in order to exercise outside (which is the best) I HAVE to wear gloves, scarves, facemask…..hard to move, but worth it!

• Lisa January 6, 2011, 4:58 pm

That weather is a little too cold for me, no matter what gear I have!!

Looks like you’re prepared though :)

• Sana January 6, 2011, 11:32 pm

Gah! So proud of you for running in the cold. I don’t even walk in the cold…

• Katy @MonsterProof January 7, 2011, 6:37 am

Only 2 dog toys in the photo? I assure you, we look like we’ve been in an avalanche!

• Megan January 9, 2011, 4:56 pm

Too funny! I can’t wear gaitors (well, I call them buffs) over my nose either. My breathing makes them wet and then they freeze and make me cold. I’ve been riding outside (AH!) and it has been cold, which has been a huge feat considering I usually lock up my bike indoors during the months between November and May. Anyway, happy running and training!