Adding Some Races to the Calendar – Geek Turned Athlete

Adding Some Races to the Calendar

This is definitely an update post! It was needed. :)

Livestrong 2011

First up, if you haven’t already please check this post out. The fact that Bryan could barely walk up a flight of stairs a year before training and completing his first half Ironman is amazing and inspiring to me. He is almost to his goal, and he needs your help in raising money for cancer research!!

Body Imbalances

Remember when I wrote this post a few weeks ago talking about how I was getting two periods a month and was unmotivated and lethargic all the time due to a chronic Vitamin D deficiency? Well, the new birth control (Yasmin) and the prescription of a buttload of Vitamin D have worked out well. I’ve been on this new regimen for the past 3 weeks, and I can’t even explain to you how happy I am that I was actually proactive with talking to my doctor about the problems I was having.

Besides the 1st emotional week on the new birth control, everything has been smooth sailing so far. My acne has almost completely cleared up and no period so far! Whoop!! My husband is happy for this as well. I’m not a crazy hormonal lunatic anymore. 😉

Vitamin D. Vitamin D. Vitamin D. A-maz-ing!! I’m not going to say that I felt energetic the 1st day or week that I started to take my prescription, but over the past few weeks, I have felt my energy levels slowly start to increase. This is soooo encouraging.

Daily Mile

After reading (Never home) maker’s post on the Daily Mile, I decided to join. I love how I can get my nerdiness on with all of the analytical possibilities for my workouts available on that website. Plus, you can motivate others regarding their workouts. It sort of holds me accountable for my workouts too because it is on a public forum.

Also, if you want to be competitive, they have a leaderboard of all of your friends. Sometimes, that is enough to get my butt up and out the door!! So, definitely think about joining and becoming my friend!

Screen shot 2011-02-21 at 1.50.13 PM.png
Upcoming Races…

So, I’m slowly starting to add some races to my 2011 schedule in addition to IMAZ. Would I really like to add them all at once? Heck yes, but considering I still don’t have a job (don’t worry, when I hear back from who I really want to hear back from, I will be tweeting from the rooftops!), that is sort of out of the question.

I signed up for these last night:

Screen shot 2011-02-21 at 2.02.28 PM.png

If I can run this 5 mile race in less than 37 minutes, then I can start the following race with my Swift’s Running Team. No pressure. No pressure. Yeah, right. I’ve never ran a 5 mile race that fast before so we shall see if I can do it. If I don’t make it, I start in a corral behind what I would have. No biggy.

Bloomsday

Screen shot 2011-02-21 at 2.16.05 PM.png

Every runner here talks about this race. It is a big deal in Spokane, evidently. This will be my first time running it since the hubs and I moved here last summer.

Windermere Half Marathon

Screen shot 2011-02-21 at 2.19.15 PM.png

I’ll be running this the weekend before Fitbloggin!! I’m so excited to be running a half marathon. To me, it is the perfect distance. It is less than 2 hours, and you don’t feel like you need a nap afterwards! I’m sure I will probably want to sleep a week after my Ironman in November. 😉

Races I’m looking at signing up for…

Screen shot 2011-02-21 at 2.34.48 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-02-21 at 2.28.07 PM.png

I did not hear good things about the bike course though!

I did this one last year…
Screen shot 2011-02-21 at 2.37.16 PM.png
or

Screen shot 2011-02-21 at 2.26.33 PM.png

I need to gain back my dignity from last year
Screen shot 2011-02-21 at 2.40.28 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-02-21 at 2.29.47 PM.png

Do you have your race calendar already set for 2011?

• Erica February 21, 2011, 3:02 pm

SO glad to hear you’re feeling better! And a big hooray for no period! The races look fabulous. Can’t wait to read about Bloomsday. I love races that are really popular locally. Have a great afternoon/evening :)
    Erica recently posted..E- White Turkey Chili- Cornbread &amp Peach-Plum Crisp

• Kelly February 21, 2011, 3:07 pm

I’m running the Key City Vermont Marathon, the Ukrops 10K in Richmond, the Tarheel 10 miler in Chapel Hill, a tiny little 5K in a small town in NC, and probably a few more further out…I have trouble committing this far in advance.
    Kelly recently posted..Coconut giveaway – week 4

• Toronto Girl West February 21, 2011, 3:23 pm

lol No races for me . . . but you already knew that; given the fact that I’m broken and all! 😉 lol

As for Bloomsday – it’s a HUGE deal, apparently well organized, and dirt cheap to enter. To be honest the course elevation map kind of scares me! lol But I’m sure you’ll rock it!

• Nicole February 21, 2011, 5:22 pm

Oh man. I’m sorry you still aren’t feeling good. ;( Have you tried any aquajogging yet? It is worth looking into. 😉

Yes, it was dirt cheap to enter!! My memorabilia t-shirt cost more than the race! haha

• Toronto Girl West February 21, 2011, 8:50 pm

No aquajogging yet . . . but that’s because I spent my weekend flat on my back in excruciating pain. Turns out that the original Doctor should have never told me exercise was okay. Today’s Doctor said pool only.

I’m waiting for the pain (and pain killers) to wear off before I hit the pool!
        Toronto Girl West recently posted..The Foot Bone is Connected to the Back Bone

• genesis February 21, 2011, 3:49 pm

yay, im running bloomsday too. im thinking of staying overnight on saturday and just driving home after the race. blogger meet up on saturday:D? im kind of scared that 5/14 is too early to run a half. i considered the windermere half but not sure if i would be prepared.

• Nicole February 21, 2011, 5:24 pm

Sure!!

I don’t think 5/14 would be too early to run a half. Look up smart coach on runnersworld.com under the tools tab to see what what your schedule might look like. If you start now, you will be ready!!

• Nrmrvrk February 21, 2011, 4:35 pm

Glad that you’re straightening your self out. About a year ago my Acupuncturist got me to start taking 2,000 IU of Vitamin D a day. Living in the PNW I think I need more than when I was living in California.

My race calendar is pretty sparse right now:

Chuckanut 50K next month
    Some 50K race later this year, possibly Baker Lake 50K again in Oct.
    A flat 10K this summer?
    Some 3K – 5K events to run with my 4y/o daughter because the 1K we ran last fall “is too short” (her words)

Good luck with your racing calendar.

• Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me February 21, 2011, 5:07 pm

My doc had put my on Yasmin too…but I stopped after two weeks. For some reason I’ve been paranoid about taking the pill lately. I know my fiance would love it haha (tmi?) but I’ve just been nervous. I feel like I turn into a raging b*tch who has little interest in intimacy. I’m glad to hear it’s working out so well for you…I’m wondering if I should start it up again.
    Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me recently posted..The Year So Far

• lindsay February 21, 2011, 5:11 pm

Oh these are all great!!! I know we wlll be at a few of those. I am excited for you, let the season begin.
    Cheers!
    LC
    lindsay recently posted..Challenge Complete

• Nicole February 21, 2011, 5:26 pm

Whoop!!! 😉

• Fit Chick Britt February 21, 2011, 8:21 pm

You’re motivating me to want to sign up for some races. Nursing a little knee pain right now though :-(

• Theresa @ActiveEggplant February 22, 2011, 6:47 am

I’ve always wanted to run Bloomsday – well, since I met my husband anyway. As soon as his family found out I was a runner they’ve been asking when we were going to run it. I’ve heard it’s absolutely HUGE and is a really great race! We tried to make it work this year, but schedule wise it just didn’t fit for us, so we’re heading up there for the Windermere 1/2 instead! It’s been 3 years since we’ve visited Spokane!

I have my race schedule line up until June 4th! 3 half marathons & a century bike ride. I will most likely throw in a few 5k fun runs/races but I don’t usually plan them into my race schedule.
    Theresa @ActiveEggplant recently posted..Fueling the Fire

• Jena February 22, 2011, 6:48 am

I have a few races on my calendar. Gasparilla 15k this weekend. A small local half in March, a 5k in April (there is also a half, depending on my march half I might run the april half). I think I’m doing a tri relay in May.. then for the summer who knows, races in Florida are far and few between during the summer.. Nothing on the fall calendar yet either.
    Jena recently posted..I’ve been converted

• Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle February 22, 2011, 7:44 am

I’ve only signed up for just one race so far this year, a half marathon in may…I’m sure I will end up doing more though after the half, doing races always make me want to do MORE races!

• Nicole February 22, 2011, 4:06 pm

Love the new look and I am so glad your feeling better!!! Good luck with all your races. You rock Nicole. :)

• RunEatRepeat February 23, 2011, 7:16 am

Good luck on the race calendar!!!
    RunEatRepeat recently posted..BodyBugg Initial Thoughts

• Chloe February 23, 2011, 7:18 am

Looks like you have some great race options! I don’t know why but I find picking races to be SUPER HARD! I have picked my big race…Musselman 1/2 Iron Man, which is in July, but have had the hardest time choosing my “B” Races….I get a little nervous about racing too much and having that mess with my training. Gota get it up on my blog soon though!

Have a great day!
    Chloe recently posted..To Spin or Not to Spin

• Amber February 25, 2011, 5:13 am

I have always wanted to run Bloomsday. Windermere was an option for the full for me if I didn’t get into the Ogden Marathon. I am going to do the Boise 70.3. A few friends of mine did it last year and the day was beautiful but the wind was killer. That isn’t usually the case. I ride the course all the time. You should think about the Deschutes Dash in Bend, Oregon. It is an Olympic distance but a blast. The bike course is riding part way up Mt. Bachelor but you swim in a river and pretty much float it. Have fun with all your races.

• Nicole February 25, 2011, 10:17 am

Thanks for the heads up about Boise and the Deschutes Dash. I’ve been to Bend for one of my relay races last year, and I loved it. So beautiful. 😉 Maybe I will see you at Boise 70.3. 😉