Changes Going On… – Geek Turned Athlete

Changes Going On…

So, there have been some changes going on with the blog lately and with my body…

First off, changes with the blog. Julie from Savvy Blog Services and I worked together for a few weeks to create this new design, and I hope you like it!! I also have revised my Recipes page and put up an AFAA Group Exercise Certification Questions Page and my Eating Philosophy Page. So make sure you check them out!!

Warning!! Men: the next part involves some “period talk.”

I have been sort of MIA this week on the blog because of some changes that I have made regarding my birth control.

For the past 6 months I have had two periods a month. Yes, TWO! It has not been very fun for me or the hubs since he has to deal with me being a crazy person 2 weeks out of every month. Plus, my face has been exploding with cystic acne. I don’t feel confident anymore when I go out in public because of this. Yes, I’m vain like that. People used to tell me that I had a great complexion. NOT anymore.

I finally went into the doctors office and demanded to change my birth control (which was Orthotricyclen lo) in the hopes of fixing the bimonthly period and my pizza face.

My doctor put me on Yasmin, and I’m hoping it will do the trick with both problems. I started taking it on Sunday, and Tuesday it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was literally sobbing ALL DAY LONG about nothing!!! I was supposed to go to my first track workout on Tuesday, but I just couldn’t swing it. I was really emotionally unstable, and didn’t feel like acting like a freak in front of girls who I wanted to talk to me in the future.

I expected an adjustment period like this, and combined with the nausea from the pills and me getting sick on Wednesday, it has not been a very good week.

I kinda wanted to crawl into a hole, and not die, but just stay there for a while.

And before we begin the whole natural method v.s. birth control, let me just say that my sister tried the first, and that is how I got my two nephews. I would rather go without taking pills, but I don’t trust myself to read my own body correctly, and I want my cystic adult acne to go away.

Third, I have been just plain tired and lacking in the motivation department for the last 6 months as well. I just haven’t been my normal energetic self. I kept thinking it was depression, and I was a little ashamed of that. I got my blood test in October, and it turned out that I was extremely low in Vitamin D despite just competing in a half ironman that involved training outside for many hours. I thought my low Vitamin D levels were a fluke (stupid, right?), and when I had them tested last week again, they were still extremely low despite being outside for at least an hour a day with the puppy. The doctor said that this lethargic feeling was normal for someone who was extremely low on Vitamin D.

She started me on a heavy weekly dose (50,000 iu) of Vitamin D to build up my stores along with a daily supplement (1,000 iu). I’m hoping this builds my levels back up, and my energy for that matter!!! I’m so sick of being tired all of the time.

Anyway, I don’t feel like a crazy crying nauseous basket case anymore so I’m hoping tomorrow’s run with my running club goes well.

I’m off for a trip to the dog park and a swim today!! Thanks for listening/reading!! Things aren’t alway peachy, but at least I’m honest, right?

Kai says hi!

• Lisa February 4, 2011, 11:20 am

Weird!! My friend is going through the 2 periods a month thing too. That just sounds awful. :(

I take Yasmin. It’s the only BC pill that doesn’t make me a nutjob (or a pizza face). Sorry it’s not working for you.

• Nicole February 4, 2011, 11:36 am

I think it is just a transitional thing with the Yasmin. I’ve only been on it this week. I hope it works in the long run!

• Kacy February 4, 2011, 11:22 am

I just switched birth control from the generic form of Yasmin to Seasonique because my periods were effing up my running. It took me so long to adjust! I’m still not sure I’m adjusted and I’m so scared about my first period on these pills. Sorry if that was TMI, but just thought I’d let ya know I can relate!

And nothing to be ashamed about feeling depressed, we all go through those time. I hope the Vitamin D helps you feel better and more like your old self!

And LOVE the new design :)

• Karolina February 4, 2011, 11:23 am

I love the new changes in design:) I’m excited to poke around here a little more. Sorry about the x2/month. Yikes-sounds like that would be really frustrating. I hope the new BC regulates quickly and you have a better experience with it!
    Karolina recently posted..Basics of the Cognitive Therapies

• Carolyn @ Lovin' Losing February 4, 2011, 11:25 am

I’m sorry you’re having to go through this! I went off the Nuvaring a few months ago and have been using the LadyComp. Not sure why, though, because the husband doesn’t trust it so we’re using condoms. Men!

Anyway, I hope you get it all straightened out and feel better soon. P.S. My ob/gyn prescribed me Vitamin D, too, after finding that I was deficient. I was also low on testosterone, but that’s a whole other story.
    Carolyn @ Lovin’ Losing recently posted..PSA

• Danielle February 4, 2011, 11:27 am

Aww, I hope the Yasmin + Vitamin D improves things for you!
    I only recently started reading your blog, so I don’t know if it’s always been this way, but I really love your color scheme.
    Danielle recently posted..Vegetable Rolls!

• Nicole February 4, 2011, 11:41 am

Thanks!! 😉

• Marisa February 4, 2011, 11:29 am

I was feeling the same way, thinking it was depression and was ashamed as well. I thought it was due to the move and the gloomy German Winter weather…but turned out I had a vitamin D deficiency. The clinic here has a light room, where it makes your mind think you’re out in the sun and you go there for 30 minutes. It’s the best! I’m glad I wasn’t the only one feeling that way. I LOVE the picture of Kai – wish you were still here for a doggy play date!

• Ashley February 4, 2011, 11:30 am

Oh my gosh girl! I hope you get it all figured out. This does not sound like fun at all. Totally understandable that you need some time off to get things straightened out. Sending loads of good thoughts your way!! Love your doggie, too..so cute :) Love the colors on your blog!

• Theresa @ActiveEggplant February 4, 2011, 11:39 am

Amazing how all of our bodies react differently to certain brands of BC, isn’t it? I mean, I *know* that we’re all different, but it’s always surprising to hear how a brand that works so well for one person is so wrong for another! I personally had a great experience with Yasmin. I was put on that one because the previous brand (can’t remember what it was) gave me awful headaches. Yasmin worked wonderfully in that respect & I didn’t get crazy pms either. …but it did nothing for my acne. Hope you get your situation figured out quickly – I know how awful it can be to deal with skin issues as an adult.
    Theresa @ActiveEggplant recently posted..On The Road Again

• Katie H February 4, 2011, 11:48 am

Aw… I hope the Yasmin helps you! I don’t get this whole acne as an adult thing. I stopped taking the pill in September because my husband is in AFG and yeah, I don’t need BC when he isn’t here. I started temperature tracking and used that method while he was home on leave a few weeks ago. Now I am nervous that I messed it up somehow and am verrry excited to get my period next week. So, good call on not going with the natural method. 😀 I’ve learned that I am too paranoid to use it! I miss my skin used to look on BC, too. Ah well.

• Sarah for Real February 4, 2011, 11:53 am

Yikes yikes yikes. Hope it keeps getting better! Are you going to check out the new dog park?

• Jordan February 4, 2011, 12:00 pm

Sorry to hear that! I took Yasmin for a couple years ago, and it made me really emotionally unstable too. I would cry for days on end and was essentially an emotional wreck for a few months. Eventually, I had to switch to another type of BC , but I know different hormones work for different people, so I really hope it works out for you! Good luck though! I know dealing with that stuff can be really frustrating …

• Jess February 4, 2011, 12:34 pm

Love your honesty. I SO don’t blame you! If it helps,I’m on Yasmin and find that it has TOTALLY evened me out (mood wise) more so than other pills have…and a shorter period is always welcome :-) Hang in there!
    Jess recently posted..Core Fusion Guest Blog- Is that Definition I see

• Toronto Girl West February 4, 2011, 12:36 pm

Oh buddy . . . that all sounds horrible! :(

First of all – don’t be ashamed about potentially being depressed. Take it from the girl who ended up with chronic anxiety syndrome in undergrad (now completely gone btw), it’s not worth it.

Everyone has slumps and that’s okay. You’ll get back to your old self eventually!

Besides, I think you’re under estimating how many changes you’ve had in your life in the last little while . . .

Point is, I hope the birth control gets straightened out and I hope you feel like happy Nicole again! :)
    Toronto Girl West recently posted..The Accent Vlog Heads North! Way North!

• Jes (@Self Motivation) February 4, 2011, 2:05 pm

I love the new look! I’m wondering if I should get blood work done just to make sure I am not deficient in anything. I’m surprised doctors do not ask to do this more often.
    Jes (@Self Motivation) recently posted..I was enjoying sleeping in- until my cat threw up on me

• lindsay February 4, 2011, 2:10 pm

oh nichole! I am in your same boat right now. My hubs is dealing me as well, eek! I’m off BC and the hormones are trying to even out. Let me know how things pan out for ya!
    Hugs,
    LC
    lindsay recently posted..technologically challenged

• Julie @SavvyEats February 4, 2011, 2:27 pm

Hope the new meds work out for you. I’ve been getting really bad migraines and nausea, so I think I’ll be switching mine up too.

And as for the Vitamin D… my doctor told me that there was some study that showed that people who lived in the northern states have low Vitamin D levels in general, but especially in the winter. Even if we get plenty of sunlight, it isn’t the right wavelength or intensity or something? I’m on Vitamin D year-round because of it.

Xoxoxoxo! Let me know if you ever want to chat!
    Julie @SavvyEats recently posted..The Little Things 27

• Hilda February 4, 2011, 6:39 pm

Hi! Been reading for a while but first time commenting… I’m really glad you posted this because I hadn’t given much thought to the Pill or Vitamin D deficiency being a potential cause of depressive feelings. I just started back up on the Pill (Ocella) after not having a period for 4 months and have been struggling with lethargy and lack of motivation (not good for a grad student!). Anyway, keep us posted how the supplements work out!

• Nicole February 4, 2011, 8:13 pm

Thanks for commenting!! 😉 Trust me, my last semester of grad school was hard because of this prob! Will do!

• Kim (Book Worm Runs) February 5, 2011, 5:27 am

Oh, man, hormones are a bitch!! Good luck…I hope the new pills and the vitamin D help and you are back to your old self in no time!!!
    Kim (Book Worm Runs) recently posted..Bake Sales and Marathonsoh my!

• Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes February 5, 2011, 7:22 am

wow, I wouldn’t wish that on anybody! I hope things turn around soon!

That said, my doctor quickly took me off of Yasmin after I started to notice I was having heart palpitations. I have done my own research on that particular pill and there seems to be some scary things happening surrounding it. (not to add to your distress)

Everyone is different I am pretty sure that is the most popular birth control pill but I just thought you should know so you could look out for strange symptoms!

There is a great piece done on it here if you’re at all interested.

I sound like I’m working against Yasmin, I’m not, I just had a big scare :)
    Hope you’re feeling a lot better soon!
    Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes recently posted..And the winner is!

• Nicole February 5, 2011, 2:40 pm

Yikes! Yes, I have heard of people having scares like that too. I ran with a pharmacist today who also said that everyone is different in their reactions to certain types of birth control. Thanks for your feedback!

• Susan February 5, 2011, 10:47 am

Birth control kind of scares me for the reasons you listed above, plus the whole people having trouble with fertility after stopping it, although I haven’t read enough research to have a good opinion on that. The natural method freaks me out even more….I think you have to be ready to accept the fact that you could get pregnant while using it (like your sister…too funny), otherwise you need a new plan!
    Susan recently posted..Into My Kitchen- Minestrone Soup

• Dina February 5, 2011, 12:35 pm

Two a month?! I think that would be enough to drive anyone over the edge.

I was tested for Vitamin D. levels maybe a year ago and went through taking the prescribed Vitamins and now am on regular Vitamin D. It really has made a big difference in my energy levels.
    Dina recently posted..January and Motivation

• Nicole February 5, 2011, 2:45 pm

that gives me hope!!

• Cati February 5, 2011, 12:57 pm

delurking! this post went straight to my heart :)

1.) I was on ortho tri cyclen lo for almost a year and it turned my period into a twice a month monster and made my boobs grow an entire cup size. As an avid runner who enjoyed light, crampless periods and a small chest that didn’t require serious sportsbra restraint on runs, I stopped taking it and am back to my crampless flatchested self.

2.) Literally the week I turned 21 my once perfect skin errupted into horrible acne. I didn’t want to go out, refused to have my picture taken, did not want to stand close to people…I dealt with it for a year and half, messing around with different birth controls and other meds, some prescription and some not, before finally giving in and going on accutane for 6 months–my skin is once again flawless. I hope your situation clears up on its own because it’s really awful to deal with that. Gosh I could just go on and on…I know that accutane is not for everyone, but I personally was so afraid of it and unwilling to admit that my skin problems merited such a serious drug that I suffered longer than I ever should have. There’s so much to be said for fixing things “naturally” and “holistically” but it doesn’t work for everyone and the effects of skin problems can quickly become psychological.

• Nicole February 5, 2011, 2:36 pm

I agree with you. I used to use Proactiv but decided to go the organic all natural route with the skin care, and my skin is still messed up. I’m hoping this works!! Thanks for sharing your story!

• Jena February 5, 2011, 5:26 pm

We can be pizza faces together :-( My face is a hot,hot mess and has been for a few months now. I stopped taking birth control in August (we are not trying to get pregnant, just use condoms) and my face has been wacky pretty much since then. I’m trying to get it under control by experimenting with face washes but,uh, no luck so far. I took yasmin for about 2 yrs and had really good results and then out of no where I was on my period for 6 weeks. It was insane. Then I started taking seasonique and I was on my period for weeks at a time.. Yah, that whole, 4 period a year thing didn’t work out for me.

I hope yasmin does the trick for you, and that you start feeling like yourself very quickly! :-)
    Jena recently posted..Do it- To it

• Madeline - Greens and Jeans February 6, 2011, 6:30 am

Oh geez, I hear you sister. I’ve been playing around with my bc (I was off it for a few months, but I went back on it because I wasn’t getting a period at all and my skin was doing all kinds of crazy things), so now my body is getting used to being back on it. Ah, the joys of being a woman.
    Madeline – Greens and Jeans recently posted..day in the life

• Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama February 6, 2011, 11:05 am

Oh, hun. I am so sorry to hear you have had a bad week. =(
    I am one of those birthcontrolisthedevil typoe of people, only because I too have experienced HORRIBLE side effects, so I am really hoping that the Yasmin will be a better option for you. Have you tried the Nuvea Ring? My doctor put me on it when I was so fed up with taking pills.
    Hope this next week is a better one for you. =)
    Tasha – The Clean Eating Mama recently posted..The Power Of Love

• Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather February 6, 2011, 12:39 pm

Twice a month?! I wouldn’t like that either!

I found out I was low on Vitamin D a while back too. I’d be willing to bet that most people in Washington are low on it too… especially in the winter time. I can definitely tell a difference when I forget to take my Vit D. I end up feeling so much more tired and unmotivated.
    Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather recently posted..What do I think about my plant based diet

• Colleen February 7, 2011, 12:18 pm

It’s funny, just this weekend I was reading all these horror stories about Yasmin and some ongoing legal action that’s taking place against Yaz and Yasmin, but I’ve been taking Yasmin for 7 years now and I still love it. Also, it’s a diuretic, so you won’t get as much of that pesky bloating (if you’re prone to that) which is pretty sweet. I used to take mine at night but I didn’t like getting up twice a night to pee, but other than that it has been great for my acne, cramps and everything. I still have long periods (6-7 days), but I would think that would be preferable to twice a month. I think if Yasmin were as horrible as some websites make it out to be then it would have been removed from the market. I truly hope you start feeling better soon, depression is such a desolate feeling that I wouldn’t wish on anyone, and I’m glad you’re getting your Vitamin D levels back up!

• Cecelia February 14, 2011, 8:03 am

Just found your blog through a few friends- I don’t know what it looked like before but it looks great now!

Bummer about the 2x a month periods. Have you ever considered an IUD for birth control? there’s a low level hormone option and a no hormone copper option. I have the copper one and everything from acne to mood swings have normalized over the past few years

• Nicole February 14, 2011, 8:48 am

Welcome and thanks! My doctor and I considered an IUD, and decided to go with Yasmin ultimately. It seems to be working for the most part. I go back in a couple more months to discuss the Vitamin D supplement (more bloodwork), and my birth control status. 😉

• Sandra May 3, 2013, 12:37 pm

My daughter is extremely tired and depressed, I think it is Yasmin.
    Bloodtest: very low vit D. I’ve been reading about Yasmin a lot and it seems to depletes vit B12 and vit D

• Nicole May 20, 2013, 3:44 pm

Interesting. I’ve been on it since I posted this blog post, and I’ve been hearing that oral contraceptives also mess with digestive issues. I hope your daughter finds something that helps her!