Ethiopian Spiced Chickpeas – Geek Turned Athlete

Ethiopian Spiced Chickpeas

Wow! I’m kinda impressed with all the new peeps coming out of the woodwork for my So Delicious Giveaway that I have going on right now. Whether you are new to the blog or have been reading for a while but commenting for the first time, welcome. 😉

Today is Foodie Friday in which I post a recipe that I’m loving right now. As you might have gathered, this isn’t a food blog, but I like to cook so this is a fun addition. This doesn’t happen every Friday, but I try to post a recipe twice a month or so.

Today, it is the spiced chickpeas that I have been enjoying. I’m kinda obsessed to be honest. These are so easy to make, and they are perfect for cold wintery afternoons or anytime of year really.

These pics were obviously taken a few days ago before the huge snow storm hit. My backyard is completely covered in snow now.

The first time the hubs and I had a version of these, they were in a Ethiopian restaurant, and they were fried. I do make the fried version every once in a while, but the baked version is a lot healthier and tastes just as good.

Ethiopian Spiced Chickpeas

Ingredients

• 1 rinsed can of chickpeas (or 1 1/2 cups freshly cooked chickpeas)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Throw all ingredients onto a baking sheet and mix with your hands. Bake for 30-40 min turning once in-between. They should be crunchy outside and soft and moist on the inside.

I told you they were easy!! I have them this way for snacks or sprinkle them over salads. Either way, they are absolutely delicious AND filling.

By the way, if you haven’t been to an Ethiopian restaurant yet, you are seriously missing out on some of the best food out there!

I’ve got a Team Blaze kickoff party on Saturday, my long run with the Swifts, cycling, and swimming planned for this weekend plus some coffee with this blogger. What about you?

P.S. I’m putting together a Racing Schedule Tab, please feel free to check it out!

• Erica February 25, 2011, 10:24 am

LOVE chickpeas. The spice combination sounds perfect. What a great weekend you have planned! Enjoy the kickoff party, exercise and coffee :). We’re going to a beer fest tomorrow (I’m DD ;)) and then I have a blogger meet up on Sunday
    Erica recently posted..M- Meyer Lemon Chicken Piccata and a Cocktail

• Ash February 25, 2011, 10:30 am

This looks crazy good!!!!! I will definitely be making this. I love chickpeas on salad. Yum yum!

I am having a total girls weekend. Tonight I’m catching up with a friend while watching Eclipse. Tomorrow we’re having a big makeover day and then relaxing with friends. Should be fun! :)
    Ash recently posted..Spicin It Up

• Joanna Burgraf February 25, 2011, 11:23 am

I’ve made a version of this before and it didn’t come out so well. The chick peas were decent in taste but way too dry. Based on your enthusiasm for this recipe I want to try it again.

I really like that first photo of your dish. The composition is really great, I could see it in a food magazine or a cookbook (I’m a graphic designer so I have an eye for these things).

Enjoy your weekend, blogger meet-ups are something I’d like to start doing sooner than later. I feel like I’m a little shy when it comes to that. It’s silly because in real life I’m very out-going and social.
    Joanna Burgraf recently posted..I killed the camera

• Nicole February 25, 2011, 11:32 am

Thanks!! I think it was just a fluke with the photo, but I try!! 😉

You might just need more oil if they were too dry. Sometimes, if they are overcooked (lower heat, more time), they also come out dry. It all depends on the chickpea, oven, etc. Sometimes, just 20 minutes is enough for me. Experiment and let me know how they turn out. 😉

• Jess February 25, 2011, 11:30 am

Um, I SO need to make this! I was just thinking I need some new snack options for the afternoons at work. And wouldn’t you know, I just bought a can of chickpeas today at the store! SO trying this over the weekend!! Thanks for sharing it :)
    Jess recently posted..Well- that was eye-opening

• Maggs February 25, 2011, 11:36 am

I love these. I haven’t made them for a long time, but I think I’m going to this weekend. I can eat and eat and eat them.

• Linda February 25, 2011, 5:59 pm

So glad you posted this recipe, they sounded super tasty when we talked about them on Saturday! See you tomorrow morning….hope you saw that the location changed!

• Nicole February 25, 2011, 6:34 pm

:) Yes, I’ll be there to freeze my ass off with the rest of you girls!!

• Linda February 27, 2011, 5:05 pm

I made these today, and they are great! Todd loves them too :)

• Allison February 27, 2011, 4:07 pm

I love chick peas! I just made some dry roasted ones the other day too. I need to try it with your spices!

• Andy February 28, 2011, 5:39 am

I hope your weekend went great! I am kinda new to chickpeas and they have been an acquired taste for me, so I usually try to find a way to add something to them. Thank you for the idea! I also stole your orange cranberry gluten free muffin for my gf! I got some training done this weekend, had class Sat morning, went to a wedding shower and chilled out Sunday most of the day, with workouts sprinkled in here and there.
    Andy recently posted..2011 Southeastern Multisport Expo!!! February 26th- 1-30-7-30p

• Nicole February 28, 2011, 7:16 am

Yay!! I hope she liked them!

It sounds like you had a very productive weekend. 😉

• Nicole February 28, 2011, 2:12 pm

I will have to try this, so easy and they look delish!!

• Holly March 6, 2011, 7:27 pm

like i told you, cinnamon and cumin are a killer combination. these look fantastic!!!