Third Swift Run – Geek Turned Athlete

Third Swift Run

Yesterday was my third run with the Swifts, and I was actually starting to feel part of the team. I was in the back AGAIN, but I don’t expect my pace to magically improve just by being exposed to PRO triathletes on the team 3 times. haha.  I wish!

Bye, fast ones!

The group split up into 3 separate groups: FAST, medium, and “slow.” I was in the “slow” group in the back. haha. We just watched helplessly as groups in front of us got further and further away.

We could have tried to keep up with them, but then we would have burned out later. I needed all my energy, thank you, to get me through my measly 7 miles…

I’m trying to build up my mileage slowly especially since my knee has been bothering me a little bit. Foam rolling is helping though. Since my longest run from October to January 1st was 45 minutes, I’m not pushing it. I’ve got plenty of time to tack on more miles for the season.

Us three here, got done with our run and by the time we were done stretching, the fast group came back after running over 12 miles. HA!

Afterwards, the team went to this place called Chaps for breakfast. I had never been there before, and it was so freaking cool!!

I didn’t want to take anymore pics with everyone there b/c I didn’t want them to know I was a picture-taking freak yet. Plus, some people are weird about getting their picture taken, and the girls still don’t know me very well.

There were a few new girls the first Saturday that I showed up, but I have noticed that I have been the only one to show up since then. I have to admit, it was super intimidating the first time that I went, but I’ve gotten confident in my abilities. I may not be as fast as the other girls, but I think as long as they see me try hard, there is a mutual respect there. No one is judging me for being in the “slow” group. I love it.

I’m so excited to learn from and train with these fast women. It is going to be a really exciting year!

Oh, and thank you all for such nice comments from my post the other day. It really made me feel supported by the blogging community. I guess a lot of you were having the same problems.  I don’t feel so alone anymore! 😉 I will keep you updated on the matter!

Now, I’m off to the gym for some time on the bike and in the pool. Then, it is Superbowl time!!

Did you do anything fun this weekend?

• Jess February 6, 2011, 8:49 am

Good for you for sticking it out with this speedy running group – I honestly wonder if I could bring myself to go back, I’d be super intimidated I bet. But I suppose that’s exactly the right reason to go back huh? To be challenged and to learn and to grow. Nice work! PS. that breakfast spot looks awesome!!!
    Jess recently posted..A bit of gratitude

• Nicole February 6, 2011, 8:52 am

Exactly!!! You are never going to grow if you don’t challenge yourself!

• Lynn February 6, 2011, 9:20 am

The restaurant looks so cool! Did they have good veggie options? My parents live in the Spokane area, and I am always on the lookout for new places to check out when I go back and visit them.
    Lynn recently posted..Weekend Update

• Nicole February 6, 2011, 9:22 am

1st: I was trying to find good gluten free options since I am gluten intolerant.
      2nd: something meatless since I don’t know where they get their meat.

Their veggie omelet was actually really tasty, and I just got fruit instead of the toast. REALLY good food!!!

• Euniece February 6, 2011, 10:11 am

Running with a group can make the miles so much more enjoyable!!!!
    Euniece recently posted..If its wrong- then I dont want to be right

• Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes February 6, 2011, 1:17 pm

It looks like a really beautiful place to run, no snow! :)
    The idea of joining / running with a group scares the crap out of me! Though maybe I should take your lead and just go for it.
    Gah, it seems like such a big step!
    Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes recently posted..And the winner is!

• Andy February 6, 2011, 1:30 pm

Hey! Great to see you have a habit going out with the Swifts. Man they look hella fast. That’s ok though, whatever does not kill you, will make you stronger, right? I love doing after workout things with the groups you swim/bike/run with. There used to be a Tuesday night group a few years ago that would go to this local restaurant after our Tuesday night group ride. We had lots of fun, good memories. I just got in a lot of mileage this weekend, and caught up with some old friends at the bar. Thanks for asking! Hope your weekend went just as well!
    Andy recently posted..2010 Ironman Augusta 703 Race Report – Part 3 Conclusion and thoughts

• Sana February 6, 2011, 4:45 pm

So proud of you for rocking! No shame in being awesome!

• Melie February 6, 2011, 6:23 pm

It looks like you really like the team! :-) I am sure you are going to get faster by being a part of it. And it looks like you can make some new friends from this experience!
    Melie recently posted..Surf City half-marathon recap

• Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 7, 2011, 6:56 am

Oh I love the atmosphere of that Chaps place! So cool.

• Katie February 7, 2011, 7:09 am

What sort of foam rolling stretching have you been doing for your knee? My knee has just started bothering me when I run, and I have never had running related injuries. I took two weeks off hoping that would help, but it hasn’t so far. Maybe foam rolling would work? Worth a try!

• Nicole February 7, 2011, 8:08 am

For my knee, I foam roll my IT band that is along the outside of my thighs. If you can get that to loosen up, there is less pain in the knee. It hurts, but it works!

• Toronto Girl West February 7, 2011, 7:22 am

That’s a good sized group you have going there! :) Plus I’m sure with all your mutual interests you’ll become fast friends!!!

As for me – I did the networking thing at a lawyer’s conference. Except for Sunday afternoon – hanging out with friends (Did I mention I don’t have friends my own age here? They could be my parents they’re so much older!) while watching the Super Bowl and glee! :)
    Toronto Girl West recently posted..Who Knew it was that Easy!!

• Sarah for Real February 7, 2011, 10:52 am

That’s great you’re feeling so comfortable! I’m so excited for you!

Chaps was on that Diners, Drive-in’s and Dives show with Guy Fieri. It’s got such a cool atmosphere right? I’ll have to try that omelet next time, I had the thing that was on the show and wasn’t terribly impressed.

I like Latah Bistro across the parking lot. They do a lot of local and seasonal dishes and have a great wine selections. Hey maybe next time we can meet for wine!

• Nicole February 7, 2011, 12:33 pm

I would be up for that! 😉

• Katherine: Unemployed February 7, 2011, 12:59 pm

great pictures; your blog is fun to read!

• Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather February 7, 2011, 3:08 pm

Running with a team would make training so much more fun! Way to go for it girl!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) February 8, 2011, 8:00 am

I think it’s great you have a group like this to run with. I would have to be in the slower than slow group I think LOL
    Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Not So Fun Facts Friday

• Nicole February 8, 2011, 8:03 am

No you wouldn’t have!!! When you have other girls running around you who are fast, you don’t want to seem like the weak one in the group, so you push yourself harder than you normally would!

• Jena February 8, 2011, 8:32 pm

Yay! for going back to the running group! I also ran with the group this weekend, and I actually ran with a few people from the group {big step}. We ran 10 miles, so that was a great part of my weekend.

My husband and I also painted our room, guestroom, and the guest bath! It feels so much more homey now that we have some color!
    Jena recently posted..bitch pass

• Erica February 10, 2011, 9:05 am

Yayyy! So glad you are enjoying this group. And the breakfast place looks incredible! YUM to those massive cookies 😉 We were away this past week! I will finally have a post up tomorrow morning
    Erica recently posted..M- Homemade Taco Seasoning Blend

• Sock Runner February 21, 2011, 7:25 pm

Congrats on your run! It’s cool that you don’t have any qualms about running with the slow team. I know in no time, with enough training and running, you’d be jazzing up with the pros. :) I really like your pictures. You take lots of good ones. And Chaps look very cozy. Thanks for sharing!